Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeyB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 09:14 AM
    How do I remove stuck pipe?
    Hi,

I have brass pipes that in some places are connected to what seem to be copper threaded pipes. The hot water supply has a T connection to a pipe moving up to the faucet. I am replacing the sink, and need to change out this upward pipe, but it has an elbow fitting that I cannot remove. Nor can I remove the pipe itself from the T fitting. I have tried Mapp gas to heat the fittings, and visegrip pliers and liquid bolt removers and I have made zero progress.

Help?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 22, 2009, 10:54 AM
    I take it that these are solder fittings. Before you can unsweat a soldered fitting you must be sure all the water's drained out of the pipes. Shut the water off to the house plus the power to the heater and open up boiler drain and the closest hot water faucet to drain off a few gallons. Now try heating the joints again. Good luck, Tom
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2009, 12:30 PM

And to be honest if they are threaded, I have had pipes I had to use a very large pipe wrench on with a cheater bar before on various pipes that are stuck,
    And a few I ended up cutting off that never did move

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove clothes stuck under agitator on GE washer [ 4 Answers ]

How can I dislodge a pair of pants wedged under the agitator in our GE 6-cycle washer (top load)?

How to remove a stuck shower drain cover? [ 1 Answers ]

The shower drain is clogged. I can't remove the cover because it seems stuck The cover is round, secured by two screws (which I removed). It must either twist out or pop out, but it does not budge and I am concerned about using force. Suggestions?

How to Remove stuck Price Pfistr pull out cartridge? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a black plastic single pull out cartridge that is solidly stuck. I can't see any retaining clips or nuts. Am afraid to pull extra hard with pliers as the cartridge is plastic and am afraid I will break it. How can I get that thing out? Have tried twisting, turning, pulling.. Thanks.

How to remove damaged or stuck shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

How can you remove a damaged nor stuck shower drain

P trap is stuck; can't remove! [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend dropped an earring down the drain. The P trap (or J bend, actually) should be easy to remove, but after twisting off the two nuts, the trap is still stuck to the pipe coming out of the wall. I guess the gunk that has accumulated over the years is gluing them together. Any tips on...

View more questions Search