Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kinnigett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2009, 08:10 AM
    Can you run 14AWG wires off a 12AWG line?
    I just bought a new house and was repairing a broken wire that I found in the basement.

The broken wire was 12AWG and runs directly off a 20amp breaker. When I opened the junction box, I found that, the 12AWG line splits into two other lines (one goes to a light in the basement, and one goes to an outlet for the stove). These 2 lines are 14AWG.

Is this up to code? Can you run 14AWG wires off a 12AWG line?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2009, 08:53 AM

In a word, "No". You can't derate the wire. Anything coming off a 20 amp fuse must be 12 AWG or better.

... a stove outlet on 14 AWG wire?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 11:40 AM
    Actually you can have a 12 AWG wire mixed in with 14 AWG. However, you cannot run 20 Amp in this circuit. The limitation is tied to the "Weakest Link" which would be the 14 AWG.

NEC Code limits the amperage carried by a 14 AWG wire to 15 amps. Since you cannot exceed the 15 amps, the breaker protecting this circuit can be no larger that 15 amps.

My suggestion is to get a licensed electrician out to take a look at the wiring. It is much better than calling your insurance agent to get reimbursed for the fire that may well occur.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2009, 09:31 AM
    Actually you can have a 12 AWG wire mixed in with 14 AWG. However, you cannot run 20 Amp in this circuit. The limitation is tied to the "Weakest Link" which would be the 14 AWG.
    Isn't that basically what I said?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 09:41 AM
    No, I'm saying the direct opposite.

I'm saying that you can mix 12 AWG and 14 AWG together, but the circuit must be protected by a 15 am breaker. You cannot use a 20 amp breaker on a 14 AWG section.

The entire circuit can be no greater than 15 amp.

Unless, you are speaking of a voltage drop situation where you need to use a higher amperage to get the voltage you need at the load end.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Nov 23, 2009, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    Isn't that basically what I said?
    Yes!

Donf just added more information! ;)
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2009, 09:17 PM

Short answer is no. Long answer is: yes if you change the breaker to 15amp.

I just clarified what everyone already said.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2009, 09:23 PM

Too much turkey.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2009, 09:30 PM

Who you calling a turkey?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

6 hp Briggs won't run [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought a mulcher off Craigslist last weekend. 6 hp Briggs Intek 190. I ran 2 tanks of gas through it with no trouble. Stalled it a few times feeding wet leaves, but it started fine. Then I stalled it some time later, now it won't start. Pulled plug, have good spark. Put a little...

Run Flat Tires [ 2 Answers ]

I owned a 06 BMW 750I with Bridgestone 245/50R/18 run flat tires on. I would like to know if I choose to put non run flat tires on would my tire pressure monitoring system Still work? Does anybody have any recommendation on another name brand tire because Bridgestone Turanza EL42 does not have a...

What is the blue 12awg wire attached to in the box? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a hot tub with 4 wires coming from the hot tub controls to be attached to the shut off box 8 feet away. Two wires, one blue, one red are 10awg, apparently 110volts each incoming. Two additional wires, one blue, one red are 12awg and would appear to be for the second cirucuit, with a 15 amp...

'run' not found [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I can't find 'run' in start in XP. Please help me to regain it. Regards, Anil

Wiring question 14awg and Cabinet lights [ 3 Answers ]

I had an electrician install some under cabinet puck lights. The puck lights were a last minute addition to the recessed lights he installed. After watching him install the recessed lights I thought it looked easy so I put some more in myself in another room. I got all kind of books and read...

View more questions Search