Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thatguy123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 09:43 PM
    D:\ Missing, Windows 7 failed
    So I have an Asus laptop and I got a free Windows Upgrade in the mail yesterday. I tried installing it as just an upgrade not a clean install inorder to keep my files. A message popped up and told me that I needed to restart my computer to start the upgrade process after uninstalling the only non compatible software I had at the moment, iTunes. So I did that and restarted it. When it was done loading and everything I noticed nothing was happening with the disc so I went to my computer and there was no D:\ drive(or cd icon) I ran windows Fix It thing and it only fixed the problem with the driver which was just out of date. I also looked in the device management section and the cd was showing up fine it just didn't have a name. So I restarted it and the disc started spinning while it was loading and it didn't stop. Stupidly I thought this meant it was now working and pressed F9 in order to install Windows 7 as a clean install just to get it over with. It did not read the disc but it went a head and "recovered" my computer back to what was saved on my hard drive in the recovery which wasn't anything really. So now I have a computer that can't read a disc and no longer can access Windows on it. I am at a loss to say the least. I have no idea what to do, please help me

Nov 24, 2009, 08:33 PM

Bump. Please help
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 24, 2009, 08:44 PM

What version of windows was on it?

Nov 25, 2009, 05:21 PM

It was Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 25, 2009, 05:51 PM

That should have upgraded OK. Have you tried the manufacturer's tech support?

Nov 26, 2009, 08:19 PM

I have in the past and they were no help to me at all

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The application failed to initialize because the windows station is shutting down [ 3 Answers ]

I get this message together with a "doomp" sound when I shut down or restart the computer. The attachment is from system in event viewer:)

Windows failed to load because the HAL is missing or corrupt [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, When I try to load windows XP to a Dell Optiplex 745 machine I get the following error: \windows\system32\halmacpi.dll Status: 0xc000098 Windows failed to load because the HAL is missing or corrupt I have tried different windows XP discs and same error.

DLL Initialization Failed Windows XP SP2/3 [ 3 Answers ]

On shutting down Windows XP SP2/3 I am receiving message on screen "dwwin.exe DLL Initialization Failed, and sometimes "drwtsn32.exe DLL Initialization Failed". I have also noticed programs are slow to shut down whilst Windows is running and have to be shut via a window pop-up "End Program Now". ...

Windows XP missing Jar File [ 1 Answers ]

Whenever I try to download certain software, and it starts to install the software, I get a window that says, "Unable to install due to Virtual Machine Launcer, missing Jar File".

Items missing from Windows XP [ 2 Answers ]

Windows XP home edition with SP2 installed. When I click on Help, nothing happens and the Search helper dialog box in Windows Explorer does not appear. Cannot print from IE window either. Also, cannot launch any Windows facilities from Explorer - when I double-click the exe file, nothing happens.

View more questions Search