Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angel0772001 Posts: 233, Reputation: 7

Nov 20, 2009, 09:08 PM
    Acid Reflux
    What is a good over the counter medication to help manage my acid reflux. I had hyperemesis with both of my kids and so it made we have real problems with reflux. I get so much pain. Please I'm in need of a good medication.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 09:10 AM
    If you are still having problems after having your kids, I speak from not only education but experience, OTC meds are only a cover up and will not help long term. You need to be evaluated for GERD as this, if left untreated and covered with OTC meds, can actually burn your esophagus only causing long term, possibly permanent damage.

I currently take Nexium, it is prescription, and is a total and complete lifesaver since I was damaged by ignoring the problem and only taking OTC meds as a "band-aid" fix.

Nov 21, 2009, 10:31 AM

Well I have to wait till I get back on insurance. I know I have to see the dr but my insurance hasn't kicked in yet so I need an alternate for right now
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 10:37 AM
    You can try meds such as Prevacid OTC, but remember this is just a "band aid" fix. Without treatment you risk permanent damage to the esophagus, and possibly even esophageal cancer. If you have not been diagnosed by a doctor, this could be caused by a number of other illnesses, some not so serious, others very serious.

Nov 21, 2009, 03:56 PM

OK thank you. Well could it just be really bad indigestion. As long as I don't eat a few hours before bed and as long as I don't eat spicy foods I'm fine. That's the time when I do eat spicy foods and eat before bed I'm in a lot of pain
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2009, 09:10 PM

You might just look into an alkaline diet. I've suffered recently from a lot of acid reflux and since I've changed my food intake to food high in alkaline content my acid reflux has gone away. There are certain foods that help your body cope with the extra acid your stomach produces. Just taking over the counter stuff is not the answer - or taking rx's either for that matter. Do some research online about what foods you should eat that are alkaline and then try that diet for a week and see if your acid reflux disappears. Mine did in less than a week so I know it works. I had acid reflux so bad that I would be awakened at night with acid in my throat and going down into my lungs. I would wake up literally coughing for my life! That is a horrible way to wake up coughing for your life so I think I know about the horrors of acid reflux gone wild.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2009, 09:32 PM
    Just like J_9, I take Nexium every day. It's absolutely amazing. I have a hiatal hernia, and have had it for 30 years. I was constantly taking Tums or Rolaids by the roll. No more of that.

I agree with the responses here that suggest a doctor's visit, and tests to find out what is wrong. But in the meanwhile, Prilosec and Prevacid are basically the same drug compounds, and are over the counter at weaker strengths. Don't expect to take one when you have indigestion, and it work. You need to take it once a day, for a few days, for it to work at it's optimum.

Good luck to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acid Reflux. [ 5 Answers ]

Ok so I am new to this site but I have a few questions... Ok so it just about health in general because I was just diagnosed with acid reflux and my chest is very uncomfortable. It burns or is tight and I also feel like I have to blow my nose every five minutes. It is constantly running. I have had...

My acid reflux! [ 1 Answers ]

I get heartburn and feel queasy more often than not ,when I eat. Any one got any good home remedies? I sleep elevated, eat smaller meals(about every 2-3 hours)sleep on my left side etc. I've been to doctors and taken prilosec, prevacid and a slew of other meds. which always give me diarrhea, so I'm...

Acid reflux [ 7 Answers ]

Hey I have since feb. been having acid reflux real bad done went to the doctor 4 times and now having burning sensations in my head what do you all think this could be from? And tingly feeling in legs and left arm.

What foods can I eat now that I have acid reflux [ 10 Answers ]

I just learned that I have GERD and I need to know what I can eat.

Acid reflux or thyriod? [ 3 Answers ]

The week of may 30th I started having problems with my neck it felt like I had a not in it and the air that I breath in was hot and thick I kept feeling like I was nervice and I wanted to get sick shaking and wanting to cry all the time . I was having problems sleeping to where it felt like I...

View more questions Search