Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    topcat6 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2009, 07:50 PM
    This Old House, Hum, never can I rest !
    With very little persuasion a couple of large areas of plaster are ready to fall off the lath on a ceiling. I would like to just remove those sections reveiling the joist above. Then use 3/8" rock over the entire room?
    BuilderBrent Posts: 8, Reputation: 4

Nov 22, 2009, 02:31 PM

Not exactly sure what the question is, but I can tell you that 3/8" sheetrock will be a big mistake. Codes require 5/8" for fire resistance and will be much less likely to sag over time.

Aside from that. It sounds like a worthwhile project but a heck of a lot of work. There's a lot involved these older houses.

Nov 23, 2009, 09:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BuilderBrent View Post
    Not exactly sure what the question is, but I can tell you that 3/8" sheetrock will be a big mistake. Codes require 5/8" for fire resistance and will be much less likely to sag over time.

Aside from that. It sounds like a worthwhile project but a heck of a lot of work. There's a lot involved these older houses.
    I really don't wish to remove all the plaster from the lath and or the lath too. I would like to just remove the loose sections reveiling the joist layout. Then I could cover it with some rock. This is a ceiling and your sugestetion would still be 5/8 inch rock?
    BuilderBrent Posts: 8, Reputation: 4

Nov 24, 2009, 12:35 AM
    I see what your saying. That being the case. Yes, 3/8 drywall should be fine. Keep in mind that you will want to use drywall adhesive and I would suggest using longer screws and more screws. You will notice that it is very easy to over drive the screws in 3/8"

You will probably find that your ceiling "rolls" or bows a little bit too. The thinner drywall will actually be to your advantage in that case, given it's more flexible.

Since most older homes have higher ceilings and rooms tend to echo (especially if you have hardwood floors too) Another alternative might be to put in a drop ceiling. This will knock down some of the sound and still give you a clean look.
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Nov 24, 2009, 06:35 AM

If you only want to do a section.. maybe "big wally's" is the way to go... they sell a repair kit for plaster walls & ceilings.. good luck!

Nov 24, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtconc View Post
    if you only want to do a section..maybe "big wally's" is the way to go...they sell a repair kit for plaster walls & ceilings..good luck!!
    Problem with that is you repair a section today and next month another section starts to fall off. I've found out from past experience that to do a job is to do it in such a fashion
    That you don't have to come back for 50 + yrs. I will also replace any old electric and
    Plumbing I find in old walls once they are down, so next year I don't have to tear down
    A new wall or ceiling that I've recently installed.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 5, 2009, 09:13 AM

Okay, how big is this area, and do you know why it is coming off?

Dec 5, 2009, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
    Okay, how big is this area, and do you know why it is coming off?
    Thanks for your interest but I've already taken my own advice, I stripped all the plaster from the lath and replaced all the old elec. With new. Then I used 3/8" rock over the lath. Looks Great!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom sink has no water, but the rest of the house does [ 9 Answers ]

I noticed today that the faucet in the bathroom doesn't have h or c water, but the rest of the house mainly the adjoining toilet, shower and faucet on the second all work. Can someone please provide some support? The plumber at Lowe's suggested that I shut off the supply lines for a few minutes...

No hot water in one shower but plenty in rest of house [ 1 Answers ]

I have an upstairs shower that is not putting out any hot water while the other upstairs shower and all other faucets in the house have no issues. The faucet is a Kohler / Coralais Model #K-T15603 lever handle, integral shut-off. Does anyone have any possible quick fixes?

No hot water in shower but plenty in rest of house [ 4 Answers ]

I have no hot water in an upstairs shower but all other faucets, including another upstairs shower, have hot water. What could be causing this?

Cold water in part of house rest is hot only [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought our 6 yr 2 story house, weather is in the 20's outside faucets had been covered, we only have cold water in the downstairs bathroom & one of the outside faucets but the rest of the house only hot water even the "outside" faucet near our kitchen is coming out hot water, we have since...

Can you roll the rest of you Mobile home into a new house? [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if you can take whatever you owe on a mobile home and add it to a Home loan? Our Mobile home park has tons and tons of homes for sale, and majority of them are bank re-pos, it is getting harder and harder to sell our mobile home. So a little birdie told me the if a house is...

View more questions Search