Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisaneel1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 07:04 PM
    Papers served
    I have been served papers by a collection agency to pay an amount of money I don't have. My options are to pay the debt plus court cost or deny and go to court. What do I do I don't have the money?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2009, 09:44 PM

Well you can do nothing, don't go to court, they show up and get a judgement against you for everything they are asking

Or you can show up and show the court all of the payment plans you have tried to settle with, or any settlement plans you have offered. Or show that you don't owe the money? ( do you owe it)

If you work, and live in a state where they garnish pay, if money is tight now, what happens when 1/4 of it goes to them first
    XTC832 Posts: 60, Reputation: 6

Nov 21, 2009, 02:05 PM
    If you do nothing at all, then it is likely that creditors will obtain a judgment, which is decreed by the court. It would give them the legal right to freeze bank accounts, garnish wages (if permissible in your state), etc. If you offer some kind of payment plan to the collection agency, it might at least keep a judgment from being enforced. If you have offered something and they persist on going to court, then you can at least present your financial situation and try to work out a settlement with the court's approval. If you can prove that you've been making "best faith efforts" to resolve the issue, then in some instances, court costs, interest and late charge fees get thrown out. This is sometimes, not always. Keep in mind that doing nothing will make the situation outcome better for them and worse for you. Hope this helps a little bit. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Papers served [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-son in law wants to have papers served for my daughter in care of me. She does not live here, I don't knoe where she lives and I explained that to him on the phone. I gave him her email address, that is all I have for her. When the papers come, addressed to her,in care of me, am I...

Served papers or not? [ 6 Answers ]

If you are verbally served to appear in court as a witness, is it legal?

Being served papers [ 1 Answers ]

I have some kind of a sheriff processor that is trying to serve me papers at my house. He also has called my son to try and pick up these papers. I am sure it is over an old credit card bill. I know that if I accept the papers then will have a court date and then if I do not go to court they put a...

Served Papers About a Judgement [ 12 Answers ]

I need advice. Yesterday I was served papers about a debt with a credit card company. It is MY debt. I was young and very dumb about my credit cards. Now they are catching up to me. I am broke. I honestly don't own anything. No savings, I rent, and my car is financed. I as of right now have 19 days...

Served Papers [ 1 Answers ]

I got served papers a 30 days ago by my sons father. We currently do not have anything on paper about who has custody and have not since he was born. Our son spends 3 days a week with him and 4 days with me. I live an hour away from his father and the papers that I got served with are asking for...

View more questions Search