Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 05:36 PM
    Children and dogs
    Wasn't sure if I should post in children or dogs.
    We and (dogs) are going to my brothers on Saturday (early Thanksgiving)and his children are crazy!:eek: I can not at this point not go. Most of the time I spend there, I am telling them to leave the dogs alone. They love the dogs to an unhealthy point. Bingo is FREAKED! And Coogle runs around away from everyone.
    So basically I do NOT have a good time and am reduced to tears and yelling at my niece and nephew threatening their lives if they don't knock it off. (which my brother (for some reason) is fine with.

Does anyone have a suggestion for words for a crazy 6 and crazy 10 year old child? I need something:confused: besides chains:rolleyes:

And I am really serious here, not trying to be funny.:(
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2009, 05:49 PM

Probably should have posted this in children, but hopefully the others with little ones (alty, joseph etc) will see it and can give you some ideas.

I'm not a kid person myself :o however we are having a party here next Friday and I'm also worried about the dogs.
    There is going to be about 20-30 people here and I was debating whether to ship them off to someone else's house because they both are a bit timid.
    Problem for me is, all my friends/family are going to be at the party!

What I plan on doing is setting up their beds and toys in our bedroom or possibly even crating them in there if they are too scared of the guests (or the guests annoy them)

The last time we had a party they came right after about half an hour but there will be a lot more people here this time.

Good luck, hopefully someone with kids can give you another answer!
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Nov 20, 2009, 06:00 PM
    That was going to be my suggestion.. a crate or doggie play pen where you can isolate them and supervise them easier. Maybe keep the dogs away in a room for a while and tell the kids they can play with them in a little bit and then just give them short periods of seeing/playing with the dogs in a an adult-supervised location... I hope the trip goes OK!

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 07:36 PM
    Shaz, your right, I should have posted in children, because at this point I'm thinking about crating the children and letting the dogs run free. The dogs are well behaved. The children are not. I don't want to punish the dogs. They have never been crated since babies, they would not understand.:(
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 20, 2009, 08:11 PM
    I was going to suggest crating the pups and making the 10 year old responsible for taking them out to potty and get a drink on a leash but if they're not used to crates that would be worse.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 08:26 PM
    Hey JD, I understand your problem completely. By boys "man- handle" my brother's Dachshund, "Annie", to the point where she gets tired of them. I tell them that she will nip them if they don't stop. And she has. They mind pretty well, for a while. We keep them busy, and isolate her for periods. I know that you don't want to use chains, but is there some place that you can separate them, even for a while?

I'm sure your dogs are your babies, but do you have to take them? Are you going to be there for a long period? If so, you simply have to set some ground rules. Get your brother to support you in this plan, and give them some sort of positive re-enforcement for being good. Yes, maybe even a bribe if that's what it takes for you to get peace.

Give them specific chores to do with the dogs, and TRY to limit the time they are together.

They're at ages where they should know how to mind, be firm with them, and let them know that some dogs bite when they are annoyed too much.

It really shouldn't ruin your trip, and time with your family, so let them know that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Recruit one of the teenagers in your family to oversee them all. Give them movie ticket, or gas money, for the trouble. Yes, another bribe. I know I sound like a mobster parent, which I don't do that with my kids, but this is a temporary situation, and it should be quality time for you all, and these are your brother's kids, why isn't he controlling them in the first place?

Good luck to you, and enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday.

I've attached a couple of links that may help somewhat.

Kids and Dogs

Children Need to Learn about Dogs - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2009, 09:36 PM

I have found velco works much better than chains, and with a felt wall cover, they stick right up out of the way.

But for a trip, and stay, I would suggest a doggie hotel for a few days , the puppies get pampered and there is pease in the family
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 10:40 PM
    Jm
    The second one was helpful... #6 chase the dogs:eek: That's all they seem to want to do, and I end up with 2 dogs on my lap and unable to do anything but sit there. These dogs are not the timid type normally. I have experienced this before and there is no worry that my dogs will bite, so far (they are animals). I never worried about that before, but now I will.
    My brother is not one to worry about anything, unless it directly involves him and has his wife deal with everything. He actually gets happy when I reprimand his children (I can't help it) or else I will go insane.
    My Dad will be there, so I might have some back-up.
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 10:47 PM
    Thanks everybody, maybe the children will be better tomorrow.:D:rolleyes::eek:
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2009, 05:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    jm
    the second one was helpful...#6 chase the dogs:eek: That's all they seem to want to do, and I end up with 2 dogs on my lap and unable to do anything but sit there. These dogs are not the timid type normally. I have experienced this before and there is no worry that my dogs will bite, so far (they are animals). I never worried about that before, but now I will.
    My brother is not one to worry about anything, unless it directly involves him and has his wife deal with everything. He actually gets happy when I reprimand his children (I can't help it) or else I will go insane.
    My Dad will be there, so I might have some back-up.
    I can't imagine letting my boys run wild and ruining everyone's day. These children need to be controlled, if not by their parents, by someone. No one wants to be known as the bad guy, but order should be kept.

I read about duct tape, kiddie carriers, velcro... the first thing that came to mind was a tranquilizer gun. You shoot the kids twice, and you once, and everyone has a good day, especially the dogs.

Good luck JD. Have a great time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Calif.Inheritance taxes on savings bonds & Roth Ira direct to Children/Grnd Children? [ 2 Answers ]

In California is there inheritance tax (State or Federal) on savings bonds left to grandchildren or Roth Ira funds left to the children directly and outside of the Living Trust? Is the tax rate higher to the grandchildren than it would be if the bonds were left to the children? Is the tax paid...

Want My Children to Visit Me. Order is from State Where Children No Longer Live [ 8 Answers ]

Children were living with mother in Hawaii when order was signed. Children and mother are now living in NC, have been for 3 years. Does State of NC have jurisdiction or do we have to go back to Hawaii? I want my children to come visit me where I live and she is saying I have to go to NC to visit...

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

Children helping with dogs (labs) [ 7 Answers ]

As I mentioned in my last post, my little nephew and niece, age 4 and 6, are coming home to live with my husband and I very shortly, and bringing their dog and guinea pigs to add to our household of one dog and one cat. I would like the children to participate in taking care of the animals,...

View more questions Search