Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freshfocus1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 08:51 AM
    Birthdays at work
    In this scenario a new girl joins a team at a corporate office. She is a receptionist. The other receptionist has been working a little longer and is slightly older.

The other established staff all get on quite well but at birthdays do not show much attention towards getting gifts etc. for each other, only certain people.

On occasions there are pass arounds i.e. to give donations for a gift which was quite big one time for an older lady who is normally quite generous anyway.

Normally the attitude can show a little "why should I"? Donations are definelatyly not emotionally or financially when the occansion arises.

So, the older receptionist is normally quite generous to the staff team (giving of gifts) and friendly but on her birthday was shown little interest, even when she bought in a cake etc.

The new girl invited the colleagues all to her birthday party in a restaurant. Which may have stimulated a financial obligation from staff.

They could not all make it but were really debating over what to get her for almost a week. Eventually they bought her a gift at which the cost combined came up to more than their normal combined individual donations for any member of staff. Even the older lady who gives people a lot.

With regards to reportoire she is very friendly and a nice person but mostly keeps to herself comfortably.

Any comments?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 10:05 AM

What people do that is beyond the boundaries of work is something that can't be controlled by anyone. Don't get involved in office drama, or politics, until you know what really goes on, or know what the protocols are.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 12:42 AM
    I'm not sure what the question is.

In these situations you usually give what you can afford, and in in larger offices, you give only for people that you know.

In this situation it's really up to the staff isn't it? If they decided on a more expensive gift then you were under no obligation to contribute.
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Nov 22, 2009, 12:47 AM

"Dont give to receive"

For me, I never feel obliged to give anyone a gift or contribute, it is purely down to how I feel about that person
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Nov 22, 2009, 12:54 AM

It depends on WHO you are in the scenerio
    If you're the new hire,you would feel welcomed
    If you are the older lady you may have you'r feelings hurt but SHOULD get over it
    The rest of the staff just did what they felt like at the time,maybe they just wanted her to feel welcome.
    Why would the older woman bring her OWN cake in anyway that's where she messed up.
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

Nov 23, 2009, 12:46 PM

OP,

You took the time to write about this scenario... Why don't you learn technical stuff about your job: It may not be important to undersand these office politics, but it is very important to know the work. Office politicians are not morons, but they are the smartest workers, who know it all.
    Instead you are analyzing this new receptionist! Good luck with it!
    freshfocus1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2009, 01:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CFZD View Post
    OP,

You took the time to write about this scenario...Why don't you learn technical stuff about your job: It may not be important to undersand these office politics, but it is very important to know the work. Office politicians are not morons, but they are the smartest workers, who know it all.
    Instead you are analyzing this new receptionist! Good luck with it!

This question is about work place relationships not technical functioning at work.

How do you know I am not learning about technicalities at my job? You do not because your answer is an attack and conceited and you should refrain from using this site if you are too incompetent to make adequate and appropriate responses.

Thank You

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do Jews celebrate birthdays? [ 13 Answers ]

My son's birthday is coming up and his best friend is Jewish. Would it be appropriate to invite him to my son's birthday party? I can call it a play date and not sing happy birthday (he doesn't want a cake anyway).

Muslims and birthdays [ 19 Answers ]

Do muslims celebrate birthday's of family and friends? My boyfriend is religious and he said muslims don't celebraite birthday's.

22 Birthdays [ 3 Answers ]

So I love my boyfriend more than you can imagine, but he recently had his 22 birthday and I don't know what to get him especially since I'm late on giving him the present. I want it to be something super special, but I just don't know what! Can you help me?

Jews / celebrate Birthdays, [ 1 Answers ]

Did the Jews in biblical times celebrate Birthdays, And do most jews celebrate birthdays to-day. :)

Birthdays [ 8 Answers ]

Is there any religions who don't celebrate birthdays.. aside from jehovah's witnesses?

View more questions Search