Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ramiro Ramirez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 10:39 AM
    Water hammering
    I recently closed the supply lines to both my commodes for approximately two weeks to avert any water accident while I was away. Now every time they are flushed there is a loud machine gun like banging both at the area of the commodes and in the kitchen sink/dishwasher area. I open the fawcets in the correspnding lavatory and the noise is transferred to the kitchen area and continues until the sink fawcet is also opened and within a few seconds the banging stops until the next commode is flushed.

This had never happened before and the house is about 15 years old. Any suggestions?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 10, 2006, 01:53 PM
    All I can suggest is to remove the float ball and stem assemblies from the ballcocks and flush the supplies out. At the same time check to see that the washer's are seated correctly. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Air in kitchen sink line - occasional hammering [ 3 Answers ]

I am helping someone with this problem and have only had it described to me, along with a layout of the house. A one story, concrete slab house, five years old is experiencing the problem. Infrequently when the kitchen faucet is turned on there is air discharge and hammering from both the cold...

Hammering in pipes [ 2 Answers ]

In order to clear a sink drain clog in an upstairs bathroom this weekend, I needed to remove the shutoff valves to get clearance to remove the P trap. This entailed turning off valves in the basement for the lines that supplied the upstairs bathroom. Everything went back together again and, after...

View more questions Search