Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lexi_76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2009, 04:44 PM
    2 week old puppy w/ runny nose
    I have a 2 week old min. dachshund that I have been bottle feeding for about a week. At first he was eating fine. Now he has a runny nose, sneezes, coughes & seems to wheeze. He also feels like he has a bit of a rattle in his chest. His appetite has also decreased drastically. I cannot afford to take him to a vet. What can I do to treat him at home?
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 04:53 PM
    So sorry to hear about the puppy. He really needs to be seen by the vet ASAP. Without momma's milk, he has a weak immune system and could be developing pneumonia from everyday germs or from inhaling puppy formula. Also very possible that he may be developing Parvo. IF he has pneumonia or parvo there isn't much you can do unless you can get antibiotics.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 09:03 PM

I agree with Devorameira, you need to get the pup to a vet, the rattling is most likely fluid on his lungs.
    Whether it be mucus, blood or milk.

To give him some relief try holding him at a 45 degree angle with his nose pointed toward the ground and firmly rub his back, pushing more towards his head, this will hopefully help break up anything on his lungs and help him breathe easier.

However that is only to make him feel better until you get him to the vet, I'm sorry but no money is not an excuse, if you found the pup or (god forbid) bred it yourself then you owe it to that puppy to get it help.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 02:16 PM

Im sorry, why did you get a puppy when you cannot afford to care for it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

5 week old puppy has runny nose [ 18 Answers ]

I have a 5 week old puppy that the mother stopped feeding at 3 weeks of age. She has many teeth and has had no trouble eating softened puppy food as well as puppy milk. The owners never had a dog before and took the mother in because she slept on their porch all the time and no amount of trying...

2 Wk old Puppy with Runny Nose [ 3 Answers ]

I have a litter of puppies. One has a very runny nose and has now started wheezing. She has not nursed all day and I can't get her to the vet until Monday. I have been sucking the discharge out of her nose, but it seems to not help. Does anyone know what I can do or why she has all the sudden...

Runny nose when eating [ 2 Answers ]

Why does my nose run when I'm eating, even non-spicy foods?

Runny nose [ 1 Answers ]

I get a runny nose when I eat

View more questions Search