Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freekcastine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 08:38 AM
    Pipe snapped replacing bathroom sink
    My cold water pipe snapped behind the shut off valve on the threads inside the wall. I do not know how to weld properly and the main water supply for the whole house is shut off. What do I do?
    Is it possible to bypass just one bathroom sink and allow water through out the rest of the house?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2006, 11:34 AM
    For starters, shut off the power or turn the gas to pilot on your hot water heater and open a hot water tap unless your hot water heater has an expansion tank.

How much of your piping is accessible and what kind is it? If you can get at the line after it tees off to the sink, you can cut it and cap it. Its copper, and you don't do sweat soldering? No problem, go to an Ace Hardware or plumbing supply and ask for a Shark's Tooth cap. Maybe buy a tubing cuter too. If the pipe is 7/8'' OD ask for a 3/4'', or 1/2'' for a 5/8'' one. Plumbers always talk ID, so you ask for a size smaller than the OD. The Shark's tooth works with any other type of pipe that has the same OD. If you have a white plastic pipe more like an inch, no problem. Go almost anywhere and buy a 3/4'' PVC cap and a can of PVC cement. Cut the line with hacksaw or anything, clean it up and cement the cap in place. Then post back, and we will help you decide if you want to tackle the broken pipe or not. The Shark's tooth cap is easily removed by pushing back a plastic collar. Leave yourself enough room before a PVC cap to saw it off and add a coupling.
    freekcastine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 11:52 AM
    Thank you labman for your response. It looks like three quarters of an inch copper threaded piping and it is broken flush at the wall behind the sink. A buddy suggested smashing out the tiles and cutting a big hole around the pipe but that sounds like it will lead to more problems. Is that what I have to do just to get a cap on it?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2006, 01:10 PM
    Copper pipe usually isn't threaded. A chromed brass pipe threaded in to a copper pipe elbow is common. Older work could be galvanized. Cutting and capping the line elsewhere only buys you time. Before busting the tile, try spraying penetrating oil in the pipe and working the end of the pipe over good with a hammer, and then an internal pipe wrench or a large screw extractor, Easy Out or other brand. Alternate, oil, hammer, twist. You could heat the pipe with a torch and then quench it by a quick shot of water. You may be lucky and have it screw out.

What is on the other side of the wall? It is easier to repair dry wall than tile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing cast iron drain pipe? [ 6 Answers ]

Put in a dishwasher and was working on the drain when I noticed the 2" cast iron drain pipe wasnt in very good shape. I spliced it with a sawzall ans the put pvc in and tried to use a boot on each end but it still leaks. Then from the cutting another joint in it started to leak. Ive decided its...

Replacing single sink vanity [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing my single sink vanity with a double sink vanity. Can I use the water supply lines that were for the single sink for the 2 new sinks. What do I use to supply both sinks?

Replacing Sink Base, need a double sink? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I just bought my first condo, and immediately changed the appliances (my fridge is now larger than the previous one at 30 inches wide (normal I know). I am not replacing the cabinets. I have limited space on one wall, so I need to DOWNGRADE from a 36 inch SINK BASE to a 33 inch SINK BASE....

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

Replacing lead pipe with pvc [ 9 Answers ]

The lead pipe and drain from my father-in-laws' bathroom is leaking and needs to be replaced. I'm tempted to just remove all of the lead (only a few feet) and cast iron all the way to the entry into the main discharge. Currently the 2 pieces of cast iron have a leaded seal. How do I connect...

View more questions Search