Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sputnik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 08:37 AM
    What to wear to Caribean wedding for the mother-of-the-bride?
    Hi,
    Please help!! My daughter is getting married in the Caribbean next month. What would be appropriate attire? The wedding will be in a gazebo near the beach. 80's degree F temperate. What do ladies wear in the Caribbean islands? I'm a 50's something, average height and size. I've been told polyester dress (short sleeves) is for women in their 80's. Cotton skirt? What kind of top? What colors would I wear when it's summer there? It's winter here (almost) 30's/40's and there's no summer clothes to be found locally. Any suggestions online, where I could find a dress? Also, what kind of shoes should I wear? Thanks for any help, I need it.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 9, 2006, 09:10 AM
    I would be taking some clues from the attire of the wedding party. What are they wearing? Also, this is a great time to reach out to the other mother and use your "what to wear" question as a means of getting to know her a little better. After all, she is in the same boat as you are with this question. Bealls is a department store that caters to the Florida lifestyle, so you might find a more tropical selection there. Just a few quick thoughts that I hope are helpful.
    s3ndt3hn00dzz Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2006, 08:35 AM
    I would go for a sleeveless knee length flowy beachy style, something comfortable but semiformal.

I would try most department store websites, saks 5th ave. dilliards, jc pennys, and www.forever21.com, it's designed for juniors but has conservative dressy pieces you could put together to look updated to surprise your daughter :]
    addy Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Feb 25, 2007, 04:27 PM
    I agree with s3ndt3hn00dzz, as soon as I saw your post I was thinking the same thing.
    Is it going to be daylight or evening?
    If it is daylight I would recommend either for lighter hair, a beachy style dress,light material, kind of like a coverup but like light material or sheer material with a satin or sil or lightbut not seethrough material backing.Nothing really extravagant(unless wedding is kind of formal)with beading, no sequins, maybe neutral beads that compliment the colour of the dress, which in my opinion on lighter blondes should either be turquoise or brown, and for brunettes turq, purple, raspberry pinks and magentas.As for shoes it really depends on the place, like a if it is at the beach,sandals, with beading(NO SEQUINS)
    .If it ia at a hotle or indoors, don't go crazy with heels(like I am going to tell you I seriously doubt 6 inch heels are going to look good with this kind of dress I recoomending.

If it is at night then I would recommend a lighter spectrum of colours, but still the same advice on the colours.
    Since it is Caribbean I wouldn't recommend you wear tighter clothes(dresses)If you find a dress that is not wispy but is kind of suiting, maybe wear a shrug or crop jacket with it.Layered bead necklaces are good, but no more than 2 and if you are older than I would recommend the thinner beads, nothing chunky because it will look like you are trying to be hip and funky, maybe a bracelet.

I hope all goes well and I helped.

Ohh! And if it is really hot and the wedding is outside then maybe a plain straw hat(not tourist like with baggyufloral shorts and cameras, but think just a flowy type one, like the ones that have flowers or feathers, but 86 the over accesories)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My mother acts like a bill collector more than a mother [ 9 Answers ]

I need an opinion... my mother has lent me money for some computer programs and we get our cell phones together so I deposit mine in her account every month to pay for mine and pay her monthly to pay her back for my programs. Lately, my work has been slow, and I will not have the money until next...

Bride dress. [ 9 Answers ]

Please my friend is getting married,and I would like you to give me all the sites that are available for a bride dress.Thanks.

Not so blushing bride [ 6 Answers ]

I am so over this. I just don't want to get married anymore... I mean, I want to BE married to my man, but just skip the wedding part... My soon-to-be mother-in-law is behaving somewhat oddly... After a phone conversation in which she first instructed me to write wedding invitations in a...

Waiting to be a bride [ 10 Answers ]

I have been with iain for 4 years now... 4 of them he was married for... we finally finalized the divorce... how long should I give him to make a commitment to me... should I wait and give him a breather, or expect a band.

View more questions Search