Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2009, 02:58 PM

Clete says petroleum will run out but cannot give a realistic enough date to steer policy. Much of the oil prices are due to the speculative nature of the commodity and international political factors.
    Pretty much everything I have stated before clete, as the price will increase then the R&D will become more desirable

However, as the price increases, then alternatioves become more attractive

Biomass is the answer to small areas, or large complexes, cities will need nuclear
    I agree with everything said here. The motivation will ,in other words, be market forces.

My big focus is for the United States to develop reliable and secure energy supplies . I don't like being held hostage . Therefore you will find most of us believe that it should be all hands on deck . Drill and explore and build more refining capacity... convert natural gas from being used to fuel electricity to use it to power our vehicles instead. Approve a standard breeder reactor model for the whole nation and begin to build them. Where practicle use alternatives . I think windmills cannot be gridded to make a major impact ;but solar technology can be a fine supplemental source.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2009, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Clete says petroleum will run out but cannot give a realistic enough date to steer policy. Much of the oil prices are due to the speculative nature of the commodity and international political factors.
    Tom the unknown is whether there are new fields, we are already at the peak for known resources, so the time to act, to steer policy, is now.

My big focus is for the United States to develop reliable and secure energy supplies . I don't like being held hostage . Therefore you will find most of us believe that it should be all hands on deck . Drill and explore and build more refining capacity... convert natural gas from being used to fuel electricity to use it to power our vehicles instead. Approve a standard breeder reactor model for the whole nation and begin to build them. Where practicle use alternatives . I think windmills cannot be gridded to make a major impact ;but solar technology can be a fine supplemental source.
    Yes we must develop more capacity until we improve our technology and loose our dependency, natural gas is already used to power vehicles in many countries, it is the US that is behind in using this technology as it is in using breeder reactors for base load generation. Wind and solar have a big draw back they are not available all of the time but there are others, wave in particular which can be used for base load. Once again it is behavioral modification which will do more to solve the problem than new plants. What we really need to do is get the environmentalists out of the way because they find fault with every alternative course of action
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Nov 26, 2009, 03:32 AM

I agree with everything said here. The motivation will ,in other words, be market forces.

My big focus is for the United States to develop reliable and secure energy supplies . I don't like being held hostage . Therefore you will find most of us believe that it should be all hands on deck . Drill and explore and build more refining capacity .... convert natural gas from being used to fuel electricity to use it to power our vehicles instead. Approve a standard breeder reactor model for the whole nation and begin to build them. Where practicle use alternatives . I think windmills cannot be gridded to make a major impact ;but solar technology can be a fine supplemental source.
    Tom

Your argument is not one that has any credibility

Let me explain, the more people in a country, the more growth in a country the more oil you will use

The more oil you will use, the bigger the demand, the higher the price

The higher the price, the more attractive alternative energy becomes

On top of that, why are you insisting on chasing the pot at the end of the rainbow?

Oil is and will run out, but not before the price increases dramatically, so why wait till this happens, find alternative fuels today, use them tomorrow, and by the end of the week, motors will be electric and not oil based

Pollution is cut dramtically, oil consumption is reduced and your market especially becomes less dependent on foreign nations

The answer Tom is not to try to find more oil - it is finite!
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2009, 05:01 AM

phlanx I fully understand that oil is the present technology and not the future. However ;until such alternatives are viable we fuel our economy on carbon based energy sources. When we find the alternatives we will certainly adopt them. That is how it has always worked in the past.

But until then I see no reason to base policy on a fantasy . We use oil and will continue to do so in the immediate future. That alone is enough justification to continue our exploration and exploitation of known supplies.

I know what your true reasoning is here. If by government decree the issue is forced ,then the alternatives will somehow magically appear sooner. That's not how it works . I already explained that with my Edison example. We did not build an oil infrastructure until private initiative discovered an abundant supply. Then the conversion happened rapidly .

And Clete; our behavior will modify just as rapidly when such alternatives are economically viable.

Nov 26, 2009, 06:10 AM
    phlanx I fully understand that oil is the present technology and not the future. However ;until such alternatives are viable we fuel our economy on carbon based energy sources. When we find the alternatives we will certainly adopt them. That is how it has always worked in the past.

But until then I see no reason to base policy on a fantasy . We use oil and will continue to do so in the immediate future. That alone is enough justification to continue our exploration and exploitation of known supplies.

I know what your true reasoning is here. If by government decree the issue is forced ,then the alternatives will somehow magically appear sooner. That's not how it works . I already explained that with my Edison example. We did not build an oil infrastructure until private initiative discovered an abundant supply. Then the conversion happened rapidly .

And Clete; our behavior will modify just as rapidly when such alternatives are economically viable.
    No mate, I don't think anything will magically appear, what I do understand to be true is R&D takes time

Models, projects must all be looked at and judged so the technology can be born, that is how it has always worked

What I campaign for is assistance in shortening the length of time it takes to complete this process, and this requires financial assistance, something the government is in a position to do

Oil research will continue because it is economically viable to do and only requires a broader control of the US Dollar to keep

Humans are creatures of habit, and more often than not need to be pushed out of this habit, filling the car at the pumps or plugging in to the mains does not stop you from getting to a-b now does it?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2009, 06:21 AM

I'm sorry TUT ;these revelations cannot be dismissed. If there is no integrity in the scientific method then why shouldn't we conclude that all facts that science discovers is based on subjective and predetermined outcomes instead of the vaunted scientific method ?
    Hello p:

Salvo!

It may help your argument if you understood WHO you're arguing with... These are ANTI-scientists. These are Intelligent Design folks. You can't win.

excon

PS> Same thing with the health care debate.. They don't want a DEBATE. They want to KILL it. They think health care reform is a commie plot.

Sometimes, though, their REAL feelings come out, like toms above.

Nov 26, 2009, 07:10 AM

Morning Ex

All is well I trust :D

I guess your right, stuck in their ways, without a clue how to change

I am in the car game, and there is very little sweeter than the sound of a good V8, possibly a V10 :)

But even I can see that this is old and past due, and electric engines charged from renewable sources is the way forward

SO I really don't see how they can try to kill what everbody else sees as the future
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2009, 07:28 AM

Ex you know better. I can produce hundeds of examples on this cite where I have been a strong science supporter... including evolution.

Please honestly depict my positions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

For The Ladies.geisha balls/ben wa balls? [ 5 Answers ]

Have you ever used geisha balls/ben wa balls? What are your thoughts on them?

Great face? Or great body [ 15 Answers ]

Which do you prefer... a woman who is pretty in the face... doesn't have a horrible body but is about 10 pounds too heavy.. ok 15. OR a bod that won't quit and a face that is average at best( and I am being KIND.) I am asking for a friend... ;) The personality is dazzling for both women. ( OK I...

Great R&B Song, Great Lyrics - Who's the Artist and what's the Title? Thanks [ 1 Answers ]

Singers: Male and Female duet. Female:- The sunlight smiles faithful every day for you. No one comes close to the joy you bring to me; whisper's like the summer's breeze. To put my mind at ease. When I look into your eye's I invision you and me on LOVE'S JOURNEY. So I wrote this melody because...

Great music. Great story, too [ 1 Answers ]

I like the music tremendously! And the pictures tell the fantastic story well. We Didn't Start The Fire Make certain your speakers are turned up.

Great Dane Great Strain? [ 8 Answers ]

I love great danes!! I have and always will love them. In general I love big dogs! My question is though if I were to get a great dane what's my cost looking at what are some of the problems that are spefic to great danes behaviour and health wise (ex. Yorkies have hip problems) also I really want...

View more questions Search