Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tech2480 Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2009, 11:28 AM
    Running slowly.
    Hello I wasn't exactly sure where to post this question as I'm new to the computers section here, usually I'm wrenching on cars and trucks.

But I have a desktop that is running xp and it has a pentium processor at 3.2 ghz with 1 gig of ram. I don't understand why it takes so long for it to load applications?

I have a laptop (xp as well) on the same network with the celeron processor at 1.3 ghz and 736 megs of ram and it runs just fine.

The desktop really shows it's issue when you power it on and then open up IE... is this an OS problem or something to do with IE? Should I reinstall the OS on this computer? Or maybe run a different browser like Firefox? But at the same time the other day I tried opening properties under my computer and it seemed to take forever! I know I've heard of people "cleaning" up their HDD's or removing things from opening when the computer starts up, would that be the cause? I'm about a 5 or a 6 on a 1-10 scale of knowledge when it comes to computers so step by step would be a big help!

Help/suggestions/anything would be greatly appreciated! This is a computer that my mother uses and I know it's starting to be very bothersome for her. Thank you in advance!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 12:57 PM

You can always reinstall the OS. Some professionals do it every year or so, just to keep their systems running.

Most often, it's because you're loading too much "stuff". Is your system tray (bottom right of the screen) filled with icons? (And why does every company think they MUST have an icon in the tray?)

Download and run CCleaner:

CCleaner - Home

That will clean out the crap in your temporary directory and other places.

Download and run MalwareBytes:

Malwarebytes.org

It will tell you if you're running something that you shouldn't be running. It will also help you fix it.

Get a copy of AutoRuns (from SysInternals - now owned by Microsoft):

Autoruns for Windows

Click on the "Logon" tab. Everything there is being launched at boot time. Right-click on the entry and select "Search Online". Your browser will be launched and a search page (often Google) will appear and that file will be searched. Anything that you don't really need (Adobe Reader Speed Launcher, QuickTime task) should be unchecked (you can always check it later if it turns out you need it.

Also, get rid of unneeded "Browser Helper Objects" under the Internet Explorer icon. Uninstall junk you don't need.

The last possibility is that your system is infected with a real nasty -- like a RootKit. There are RootKit identifiers, but they are not easy to use. If you think you might have one, reinstalling the OS is the best way to go.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 12:59 PM

You need to get a good spyware cleaner program. The program I use is called Advanced System Care. I've got the pro version but the free version is just as good. Each day when your computer runs slow or slower, just use the program and clean out all the pesky spyware or adware on your system. You'd be shocked at how easily stuff is embedded onto your system just going to several sites.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outside unit running slowly [ 3 Answers ]

My outside air conditioning unit is running slowere then usual, and not cooling the house very well. I just changed the filter which was very dirty. It does not seem to be running any faster. Is there anything else I can do?

A/C constantly running cooling air very slowly [ 1 Answers ]

American Standard unit, manufacture date of '99, was freezing up, cleaned the exterior unit of build up & debris. Now there is Ice build up on indoor coil. Water on basement floor. The A/C is constantly running trying to cool the air, which it does over time. Just tonight it was 76 in the house...

Microsoft Excel running VERY slowly [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently upgraded two computers at work one runs as a server for 5 others. The one machine was running exceptionally slowly especially opening Excel files. I upgraded both machines with 1GB of ram thinking this would make them really fly ( they were 256meg previously) but no - the machine...

It is been too slowly. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Recently, I have a problem with my internet speed. When I first enter website (Yahoo) it is no problem. Then I try to enter website under my mail. It takes forever more than 10 minutes. It doesn't allow you exit either. It is freezed. It said Microsoft explore not responsed, sometimes it...

Basement Washer/Softener drain running slowly. [ 2 Answers ]

The drain for my Water Softener, Washer, and basement sink sits behind my washer. It is a 2 inch PVC pipe that comes out of the wall, has a visible trap, and stands vertically about 2 feet. The washer drains into the top and the Softener and sink water enter the pipe through a PVC that joins the...

View more questions Search