Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ekang52200 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2009, 11:57 PM
    USB 2.0 External Hard Disk not working well in Windows
    Help, facing a funny problem.

I've borrowed a Hitachi USB 2.0 External harddisk (2.5" 160GB) from friend, tested working well in friend's PC
    without any problem, but when i connect to my PC, some funny problem as below occured.

Starting there is no problem, everything ok, the dirve (Usb Ext HD) was detected by windows successfully, i even create a
    folder, delete a folder. i started to copy some files (total of 85GB) from Internal SATA to Usb Ext HD, after a while windows shows a msg
    something likle "Error prevention... ", after that the Usb Ext HD not woking well anymore all the time even I shutdown & restart the PC.

What is the problem after that? The Usb Ext HD sometime was detected, sometime was not detected by windows. If it was detected,
    I take a long time to access the drive, it seems like not responding, the whole PC was slow down because of this drive. Even I'm managed to
    Access, the files & folders listed was not completed, I can't transfer the files by copy or move... but when I pulled out the usb cable (I can't disconnect it properly) to disconnect the
    Usb Ext HD, everything back to normal.

I tried it with Xp32 & Vista64, both give me the same problem, but I tried again in my friend's PC the drive working perfectly.

My Bios setting as below:
    Usb 1.1 enabled
    Usb 2.0 enabled
    Usb speed Hi-Speed (480Mbps)

Please help.

Thanks.
    Ekang
    Zaithe Posts: 99, Reputation: 4

Nov 19, 2009, 12:58 AM

Then it can be any problem with your usb port on your PC, will you checked it on another usb port or any other PC that it do the same thing or nor?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 03:22 AM
    The exact error message would have been a good clue to the issue, can the message be recreated somehow?
    ekang52200 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 12:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaithe View Post
    then it can be any porblem with your usb port on your PC, will you checked it on another usb port or any other PC that it do the same thing or nor?
    I've tried all usb port I have, same problem too. I tested again on next day, when I plugged in usb cable + additional power cable, windows managed to detect Usb Ext HDD, everything fine, I can copy files to Internal Sata HDD and even managed to copy from Internal Sata to Usb Ext HDD but after sometime it cannot copy anymore, when I try to create new folder in Usb Ext HDD, it just stopped there like no responding, wait for a long time it was back to stable, then I can't copy, delete folder anymore... whole system was slow down (no respomding), even I can't shutdown the PC, it was hang but when I pulled out Usb Ext HDD cable, the PC was shutdown perfectly!

I've tried the Usb Ext HDD on another 2 friend's PC, it works well. Panic!

The Usb Ext HDD brand is Hitachi 160GB 2.5" portable Usb HDD w/o using additional power cable, just plugged in 2 usb cable (data cable + extra power cable).

Thanks.
    Ekang
    Zaithe Posts: 99, Reputation: 4

Nov 20, 2009, 01:01 AM

Something is conflicting with the usb HDD hardware. What the laptop you have? Does your laptop have USB 1.0 port on that. Kindly do one thing. Run safe mode and then try to use USB HDD in that and see if problem comes or not. If not then its mean its not issue with the port problem, laptop get slow or hand if it find any hardware problems so let me know that it working in safe mode or not? If not then it the problem with your USB ports on laptop.
    falcone212 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 03:10 AM

Hi there,
    I use the same External Hard Disk (with 2 partition) with you but with different problem. Few days ago I plug my Ext HDD to my friend PC using Windows XP. At first the computer can read it, then I open windows explorer. The computer read 2 new drive. The problem is the name of my first drive in Ext HDD changed into Local Disk (H:) when it should be New Volume (H:) and I can't open it. The other drive works fine.
    Then I check my Disk Management, there I see that the File system of the “Problem” drive is blank while the other show “NTFS”. Can anyone help me with this problem.

Now, I can only open just 1 drive, while the other one isn't working.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird External Hard Disk [ 3 Answers ]

I have problem with my newly bought external hard disk. Yesterday, it was working fine. But today, when I'm connecting my external hard disk, it took some time to show in My Computer and it getting automatically disconnect and connecting every 5-10 seconds. Could someone tell me how to solve...

Two external USB hard disk does not work Simultaneously. [ 1 Answers ]

When I connect two external hard disks than the hard disk is connected later is not recognized by the computer.. And gives some error that hardware is not recognized... Earlier it used to work perfectly well but now there is problem with it...

Laptop won't boot from external hard disk [ 1 Answers ]

I used Acronis 11 to clone the internal hd on my laptop to an external usb hd. I back up my desktop in this way and it works great. Internal drive breaks or gets zapped by a virus and I simply boot from the external. If I boot normally and connect the external drive via USB after windows...

External Hard disk gets no drive letter [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, (First apologies for my bad English: I'm Dutch and not a native English speaker). I'm want to use a hard disk from my Linux server as an external USB hard disk for my Windows XP (Dell) laptop. Working in Computer Management->Disk management, I can see the disk and it's partitioning, but...

External hard disk drive [ 4 Answers ]

Is there an external hard disk drive with an hdmi connection

View more questions Search