Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RadioActive697 Posts: 295, Reputation: 13

Nov 18, 2009, 07:15 PM
    Issue Self-Harming/Cutting
    Well I know this girl and she is kind of sweet. But oneday at school I was over by the trash can and she came over and had started washing her hands. As she was washing her hands I noctice cuts on her wrist. This was a shock to me because she is a beautiful nice girl. I want to tell her that I know she's been cutting herself but Im to scared. I don't want her to cut to deep and kill herself. I care about her very much and I don't know why she would cut herself? There are other people I know who cut themselves.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 08:15 PM

If you are friends, just be a friend,
    Mistique Posts: 145, Reputation: 11

Nov 18, 2009, 08:33 PM
    First which way is the cut? Is it longitude (across the wrist) or latitude (directly down)? We need to know because if it is going latitude then this girl may be suicidal... if it is longitude then chances are she has a lot of emotional issues and uses cutting to relive her emotional pain with actual physical pain.

How deep are the cuts now? If there are many and light across the wrist (longitude) again it is needing attention and support... these are going to be issues you will want to address to your counselor (of the school of course)... if it is deep and longitude (even if it is light) this HAS to be addressed RIGHT AWAY... this girl could have post dramatic stress and have suicidal tendencies.

I know that cutting seems like a norm to pre-adolescent or adolescent but signs that should not be ignored. I know, I was there, I had the friend that wanted attention and I also lost 3 friends to suicide.

Please talk to someone about this... this is not a normal thing at all! There are either emotional issues or very serious ones... don't be the judge please. Contact someone in the school who can help you... they will leave you anonymous at your request. At least then this girl can get the help she needs... regardless if she is cutting for attention, cutting for personal reasons (like biting nails) or cutting because she is giving warning signs of suicide.

Let me know what's going on please; I am just as concerned as you and as Fr_Chuck said "If you are friends, just be a friend" and telling someone who can help right now is the best thing a friend can do!
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 08:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioActive697 View Post
    I care about her very much and I dont know why she would cut herself? There are other people I know who cut themselves.
    For reasons beyond my understanding, self-mutilation is popular among teenage girls and rare among boys. I've read this and have known a few cutters in my day. I found this article but I didn't read it, just so you know I'm not talking out of my a**: Why are so many teenage....

When I was in high school, I knew a lot of girls that did this, and some were knockouts and popular. They all grew out of it in a couple years or less, but it often leaves scars. It's not healthy, but it's usually just a phase.

Nov 19, 2009, 04:21 PM

Mistique- Well I found out why she cuts herself. Reason is because she doesn't like her life and the stuff she's done in the past. And she cuts longitude. But I just found out that another of my friends cut themselves! I looked at her arm and her cuts were evey where! They were light. And she does it because it relieves stress and how she's ready to die? Im so confused and I know plenty more who cut. And one of my other friends use to cut. Im just freaking out!
    Rockursock Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Nov 19, 2009, 04:44 PM

It depends how close you are with this girl... if you two talk a lot then absolutely say something and how you are worried... if not maybe pay attention and make sure it doesn't get worse... if it does take action, tell her first... w/e you do confront her first before you get someone else involved

Nov 20, 2009, 09:32 AM
    Mistique- Well I found out why she cuts herself. Reason is because she dosnt like her life and the stuff shes done in the past. And she cuts longitude. But I just found out that another of my friends cut themselves! I looked at her arm and her cuts were evey where! They were light. And she does it because it relieves stress and how shes ready to die? Im so confused and I know plenty more who cut. And one of my other friends use to cut. Im just freaking out!
    1) She say's she doesn't like her life;
    2) She is not proud of the stuff she has done in the past;
    3) Cuts are light;
    4) Cuts are everywhere;
    5) Cuts are longitude (suicide warning);
    6) Cutting relives stress;
    7) She says wants to DIE.

I know what Slapshot_oi said about cutting being very common. Yes it is common. Talking to her might help but if she is suicidal... she will need a lot more help then just being monitored and talked to. She is needing attention, she is giving warnings (physical and verbal) and it needs to be addressed because this girl needs help - for now psychological help. Don't be the judge! Don't try to help her on your own... I know, I have had many losses of friends due to suicide (from being popular, to the average kid (which everyone missed) and the (what others called) nerd that couldn't measure up to his parents expectations and got picked on at school.)

It doesn't matter what social status a person is in! Mental instability, depression and post dramatic stress can happen to ANYONE. I was also severely depressed growing up... I don't want to get into my history but I can tell you this girl needs help. Don't be the one to ignore or not address her issues to someone who can help her... or it could be too late.

How Many Teens Commit Suicide?
    * Nearly 5,000 teenagers commit suicide each year.
    * Suicide is the third leading cause of death among those aged 15-24.
    * The ratio of male to female suicides is four to one; however, young women attempt suicide four times more frequently.
    * White males have the highest increase in suicide.
    * Reports of suicide clusters, in which one suicide triggers several others within a school or community, have increased.

What are the Signs of a Possible Suicide Attempt?
    * Giving away prized possessions
    * Feelings of hopelessness or rejection
    * Depression, in the form of loss of appetite, weight loss, change in sleeping habits, or change in personality
    * Low self-esteem
    * Withdraws from regular activities with family or Friends Hospital
    * Slipping in school performance
    * Talk of suicide, death, or earlier attempts at suicide
    * Abuse of alcohol or drugs

New Findings on Teen Suicide
    * Depression and the risk for suicide might have biological as well as psychological causes.
    * Studies have shown that some people experiencing stress have altered levels of certain brain chemicals
    * A family history of suicide is a significant risk factor in a young person.
    * Young people tend to repeat the actions of those family members who are close to them
    * Biological relatives of a suicidal person are six times more likely to attempt or succeed in suicide than are adoptive relatives

What Can You Do?
    * If someone you know brings up the subject of suicide, take them seriously.
    * Reassure them that they have someone to turn to, a friend to help them.
    * Don't lecture about the reasons a person has to live, listen to them.
    * Contact someone for help. Depressive disorders respond well to psychotherapy treatments or the appropriate medication.

Where Can You Go for Help?
    * Mental Health Association
    * Family physician
    * Community Mental Health Centers
    * Family Service Agency
    * General Hospitals
    * Self-help Groups
    * Psychiatric Care Facilities
    * Schools and Social Agencies

Facts on Teen Suicide

Some Suicide Warning Signs
    Have you ever heard someone say two or more of the following?
    * Life isn't worth living
    * My family (or friends or girlfriend/boyfriend) would be better off without me
    * Next time I'll take enough pills to do the job right
    * Take my prized collection or valuables — I don't need this stuff anymore
    * Don't worry, I won't be around to deal with that
    * You'll be sorry when I'm gone
    * I won't be in your way much longer
    * I just can't deal with everything — life's too hard
    * I won't be a burden much longer
    * Nobody understands me — nobody feels the way I do
    * There's nothing I can do to make it better
    * I'd be better off dead
    * I feel like there is no way out
    * You'd be better off without me

Have you noticed them doing one or more of the following activities?
    * Getting affairs in order (paying off debts, changing a will)
    * Giving away articles of either personal or monetary value
    * Signs of planning a suicide such as obtaining a weapon or writing a suicide note

Suicide is one of the most serious symptoms of someone who is suffering from severe depression. Common signs of depression include:

* Depressed or sad mood (e.g. feeling “blue” or “down in the dumps”)
    * A change in the person's sleeping patterns (e.g. sleeping too much or too little, or having difficulty sleeping the night through)
    * A significant change in the person's weight or appetite
    * Speaking and/or moving with unusual speed or slowness
    * Loss of interest or pleasure in usual activities (e.g. hobbies, outdoor activities, hanging around with friends)
    * Withdrawal from family and friends
    * Fatigue or loss of energy
    * Diminished ability to think or concentrate, slowed thinking or indecisiveness
    * Feelings of worthlessness, self-reproach, or guilt
    * Thoughts of death, suicide, or wishes to be dead

Common Signs of Someone Who May be Suicidal | World of Psychology

I guess what you do is what you do; I would report it if your concerned that it is more then just cutting (though I think that is someone is cutting anyway that it should be addressed as this person needs help - self mutilation is not normal, it may be common in teens but not normal). Here is some more information on cutting and why it should be addressed.

http://helpguide.org/mental/self_injury.htm
    (This will help you identify what is wrong and how serious it actually is - this is not normal - maybe common but not normal)
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 10:25 AM

RadioActive697,

Truth is there is nothing you can do. Psychologists and Psychiatrists have been struggling with this forever. The only person who can help your friend is your friend herself. Letting her know that you are there for her might help relieve some of the stress but that's all you will ever be able to do. You have to recognise that this is not your problem. If you do get talking with her about this it might help to encourage her to use clean stuff and dress the wounds and make sure they are clean. Infection is often the killer. Make sure she knows you are not condoning what she does, you just want her to stay safe.

Nov 20, 2009, 09:55 PM

Misique- well I have been thinking about and I will talk to her first and see how that goes. But I have another friend who cuts herself also. I will try to talk to her as well. Stuff like this scares me. And I also know people who committed suicide. And in one point in my life I had suicide thoughts and still have them but I'm getting better each day. I will tell you how it goes. And thank you very much including evey one!

Nov 20, 2009, 10:42 PM
    Misique- well i have been thinking about and i will talk to her first and see how that goes. but i have another friend who cuts herself also. i will try to talk to her as well. stuff like this scares me. and i also know people who commited suicide. and in one point in my life i had suicide thoughts and still have them but im getting better each day. i will tell you how it goes. and thank you very much including evey one!
    As much as everyone says "don't worry about it"... can be life or death (in some situations). I had a friend that cut (she is alive and well) and I had friends that cut and ended up committing suicide (burning is not different!! ). You can't judge it... either way... as much as people say that psychology doesn't help - sometimes the wake up call does (I should know).

The best thing I had is friends that supported me in every situation I was in. Talk to her, I think that is great (but take the position of someone who is cutting). This stuff scares you because you aren't the one palying funky chicken and cutting/burning) - you don't share the emotional pain they are... that is why I say what I do!

No one is exuded!

Nov 21, 2009, 07:57 AM

Mistique-Thank you very much. You have help me a lot. I think this will all help me. I would love if you have more imformation about it? That would be great. But you don't have to. All of what you wrote was enough. And thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cross cutting issue in accounting [ 1 Answers ]

Cross cutting issue in accounting

Can anyone stop me from self harming? [ 26 Answers ]

Hi I'm 12 and I want to know how to stop self harming myself I just want to stop but I can't because of pain that I let owt though it so please can some one advise me how to stop?

Starting and cutting out issue [ 1 Answers ]

Tractor cut out while driving down a hill in gear. I need a new battery but it holds a charge good enough to get me a couple weeks without new charge. It only cranks over now if I jump the starter terminals. Does it sound to you like a coil problem? Thanks Nick

Physically Harming [ 5 Answers ]

Has anyone ever been in the same room as someone being physically attacked and see the bruise?

View more questions Search