Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Farmgirl10 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2009, 04:44 PM
    Friends or Foes - cats and rabbits
    Hello!! I was going to get a house cat and a house Bunny.
    Should I get a kitten and a baby bunny at the same time
    Or should I get a cat first or a bunny first? Beause I am worred
    That the cat might think at Rabbit is a tasty meal!
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Nov 18, 2009, 05:16 PM

I've had both cats and rabbits. They get along fine, even when brought together at an older age. They should both be about the same size though so I'd go kitten and bunny.

Don't think of "bunnies" as defenseless. Let me tell you they can kick like crazy and they have sharp claws as well. Any cat would be crazy to go after a full sized "bunny."

I wouldn't go very young (small) rabbit, older cat. You're setting the cat up for dinner.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2009, 05:27 PM

Altenweg would be the best one the answer this question, she's our bunny expert, I'll send her a message.

However I have a rabbit and poodles living together, yeah I know bit different to a cat but one of my dogs is fine with the rabbits, she just sniffs them and walks around behind them collecting poop (yuck)
    But my other dog I don't trust with bunnies... I can hold the bunny in my arms with him but he doe tend to grab hair and pull, hence why they have never been on the floor together.

It all depends on the temperament of both the cat and the rabbit.
    If they are growing up together I don't see a problem but I would definitely invest in a cage for the rabbit that has very skinny bars for when you go out ;)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 06:09 PM

Cats are predators, rabbits are prey. It's the nature of the beast. ;)

Having said that, it all depends on the cat and the rabbit. Some will get along fine, but most will not.

It's not a good idea to let them coexist because it only takes one fight and you're coming home to a dead cat or dead rabbit.

Rabbits are social animals, they love to be with their own kind. The best idea is to get two rabbits, or two cats.

If you decide to adopt, most times the humane society will spay or neuter their rabbits before they're put up for adoption. It will save you a lot of money, because spaying or neutering is a must when it comes to rabbits, and can be costly.

For example. I have 4 rabbits. One is a pet store bunny, I paid $60 for him and then another $300 to have him neutered. I have two humane society bunnies, both fixed before I adopted, they cost $25 each. Big difference. ;)

The last one was a lost bunny, found by a neighbors friend, didn't get along with her cat so we took her in. She's already spayed as well.

They're different breeds. Even though both have been domesticated their instincts still live on. It really isn't a good idea to mix predator with prey.

Good luck. :)

Nov 21, 2009, 07:47 AM
    Ok, Well I got a emtpy room with nothing in it.
    Maybe I should Make that in to a play room.
    But wich Animal should have the room?
    (cat or Bunnies\Bunny) Should I get 2 of a Rabbit Beause
    I herd A Cat will do fine on it own.
    I thout about it and I think I should get one from
    A shelter Beause Its cheper:D and I could
    Be saving a life:D:D:D:D

That's what its all about;)
    Pets Expert

Nov 22, 2009, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmgirl10 View Post
    Ok, Well I got a emtpy room with nothing in it.
    Maybe I should Make that in to a play room.
    But wich Animal should have the room?
    (cat or Bunnies\Bunny) Should I get 2 of a Rabbit Beause
    I herd A Cat will do fine on it own.
    I thout about it and I think I should get one from
    a shelter Beause Its cheper:D and I could
    be saving a life:D:D:D:D

Thats what its all about;)
    If you decide to get two bunnies then make sure that your room is bunny proof.

I have a sticky (that's a thread that's been made permanent) that you can view on this forum. It has a lot of great tips on bunny care and bunny necessities.

Personally, I'm a bunny person. I'd have cats if I could, but 3 out of 4 people in my home are allergic, so we have bunnies. Truth told, I'd have bunnies before cats anyway.

They're such wonderful little animals, but they're not for people that just want something cute and cuddly. They have unique dietary needs and medical needs. To tame a bunny is very different then taming any other animal. If you put in the time and love, you'll get a great pet.

Definitely get two.

Here are some of the bunnies available for adoption at the humane society where I live;

Attachment 26744

Attachment 26745

Attachment 26746

Attachment 26747

Attachment 26748

That's 5 of over 50 rabbits available right now.

Nov 22, 2009, 04:07 PM

Aww I like the white and black one!
    So your saying make the spare room into a playroom for BUNNIES only. Ok so I will make sure no wires is avable( ^_^ ) I picked out the perfect cage for them at pets mart (BIG) while I was there I saw cat bed and I thout the bunnies would love. I also got kitty litter for both cat and Rabbits. Can Rabbits be litter-trained?
    What is good food for them I herd that vegtables are bad for them. And lettise I also got a toy that if u push it food comes out. I forgot hay ~! ~ Anything else??
    ()
    Pets Expert

Nov 22, 2009, 05:06 PM

Yes, rabbits can be litter trained and usually do very well with that. It's just a matter of patience. Often, in the beginning, they will just toss the litter box around, so make sure it's in an area where daily clean up is possible, because they will make a mess.

They love having a bed to sleep in but they're not at all picky. Make sure that the cat bed isn't stuffed with something dangerous because your bunnies will nibble on it and eventually break through. It's their nature.

Vegetable aren't at all bad for them. Lettuce, carrots, weeds from outside, all in moderation. The most important part of their diet is timothy hay. They need this in order to properly digest their food so make sure you have timothy hay at all times. There are places that sell it in bulk, it will save you money because pet stores charge a bundle. Same with rabbit food. The normal regular pellets are okay, as long as other things are added to their diet, but I buy rabbit food with other nutrients in it. Sad thing is, I can't remember the name of the brand I buy. I'll get back to you on that. ;)

Be weary of toys you buy in the store. Although they claim that it's safe for bunnies, many aren't. The best toys are the ones you make yourself. An empty toilet paper roll filled with timothy hay will give hours of enjoyment and is pretty much free. An old telephone book will relieve stress and provide entertainment, it's completely safe, in fact, the human society asks for all used phone books especially for the bunnies in their care.

Make sure the cage is big enough for them to hop around in. Also, don't buy one with a grate bottom. It does make clean up easier but it's very hard on a bunnies feet.

Remember, the more time you spend with your bunnies the more tame they'll be.

Here is a link to my sticky, it has more information in it for you to read.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...it-278170.html

I can't wait to see pictures. :)

Nov 23, 2009, 02:35 PM

Thank you!! I actruly got them today!!
    I got 1 kitten and a bunny. They LOVE each other. I can' get them sperated or they will holler and it makes me feel like a bad person. I gave the bunny (not named) a bath and the kitten jumped in there with him! I ended up having to give 2 baths Hahaha
    Um well um I don't know how to put picts on here tell me. And if you got some good names share thank you
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2009, 06:30 PM

Woah, OK not good.

Firstly you do not bath a rabbit, especially the first day you get it!
    It can cause them a great deal of stress and actually kill them.

I bath my rabbit when I need to and even then I only get her lower half wet because she gets a bit of poop stuck on her tail sometimes.

Bunnies usually keep themselves pretty clean but if they do get dirty, just some pet wipes will do the trick and cause a lot less stress.
    Pets Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 06:33 PM

Farmgirl, did you even read the link I posted?

Bathing a rabbit is not a good idea. Like Shaz said, I only bathe mine if they have poo stuck to their tail. Even then I only bathe the bum area, not the whole rabbit.

Rabbits, like cats, clean themselves. They are very clean animals and do not need bathing unless they have poo stuck to them.

Also, I thought that we discussed a rabbit and cat together. It may be okay now but keep your eye out, this could end very badly.

I can't believe that you just ran out and got two pets without doing more research.

Nov 24, 2009, 02:34 PM

When I got him he was white and black. I thout he was brown. Ok I'll go slower next time. I think he liked it. But I should have justed wiped him of with a damp cloth. I was just so mad when I foud out he was black and white. That Shelter! All the animals looked horable!!
    I did not get him all that wet just the parts that were bad. Sorry!!
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2009, 04:18 PM

That's OK, you know for next time now.

Whenever you are in doubt about something just post it here, Alty (Altenweg) is the bunny expert, she can answer any questions you have.

The thing about bunnies is, most have a double coat, meaning they have a very soft undercoat and then on top they have harsher guard hairs so you can touch the bunny and think it is dry when in fact the undercoat is still damp which can give them a chill even when inside.

I don't go to our shelter much any more, it's just too depressing, bunnies in tiny cages, dog in dirty pens... I'd end up taking them all home with me.

Nov 27, 2009, 10:51 AM

Yea its really harsh. Sorry about what I did I should have read more about it :-( I only let them together when I am around. I thought and I named The Bunny Grace. The kitten Sage!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Older cats ganging up on newer cats [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have two 14 year old cats, I recently introduced two 4 year old sisters. We attempted to "introduce" them correctly. Over the last week or so, one of the older cats stalks and corners either of the younger cats with the other older cat joining in for good measure. The noise is terrifying....

Brown discharge.. What foes this mean? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am 14 years old and have never had a period before, About 5 days ago now I got this dark brown, sticky discharge. It lasted for three days and on the last day I got this light brown with an almost reddish hint, streaks! I do not know what this is, any help? Nothing else has happened...

Rabbits - outside or in? [ 4 Answers ]

My dad has just bought two rabbits or my son but I am unsure whether they should be outside or not please help. I have two german shepherds too.

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

View more questions Search