Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XTC832 Posts: 60, Reputation: 6

Nov 18, 2009, 01:34 PM
    Wiring a bathroom fan/light and new switch
    I am installing a new bathroom fan/light and switch in place of the old ones. They work okay but they're not very eye-appealing. I have the new parts and I figured, the new setup would be the same as the old. By the way, the old switch controlled the fan and light separately. I want the new switch to do the same. I was doing the job with my brother and I asked him to remove the old unit and the switch but to make a drawing of the wiring so we could just put the new stuff in and wire up the same way.

Guess what, he didn't make any drawing or write anything down - said he didn't need to. So, I have a new fan/light unit in the ceiling and a new switch ready to hook up, but I need some direction with the wiring. I have 12/2 wiring (black, white, ground) coming up from the breaker box (20 amp). I need to wire the switch and run the wiring up to the unit. Can anyone give me some direction on how to connect everything?

By the way, the directions and diagrams that came with the unit - ugh! My brother spilled his coffee on them and we can't really tell what's what.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 09:25 PM

You can always get a new download of the diagrams from the manufacturer but thety probably aren't really needed. Run your white and green past the switch box up to the unit since both will handle light and fan, they are common. You black enters the switch box and is pigtailed to both switches. Old wires coming down from the old fan could be black, black or black, red or even black, blue. No matter whatever you have hock one to the remaining screw on one swicth and the other wire to the only screw left open. Using this approach you may have to test the switches hot to see which one you will want to control the light or the fa.
    OoooOoooMeMeMea Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2009, 10:38 PM
    You say you have (black,white,ground) from power source to switch box and you have to run wire to the light. If this is correct use 14/3/G wire from the switch box to the light/fan fixture. Connect the whites with wire nut in switch box and push to the back of the switch box out of the way. Connect the grounds and leave pig tails to connect to the switches at the green or ground screw. Connect the black from the power source to two pieces of black wire about 8 inches long with a wire nut forming 2 pig tails. Connect one to each switch either screw. Connect the black wire from the light/fan to the other screw on one switch and the red wire to the other in the same way. Now wire the light fixture so the red is connected to the fan and the black is connected to the lite and the white is connected to the white from both the fan and the lite. Connect the ground to the ground screw in the lite/fan housing. That should take care of it!
    OoooOoooMeMeMea Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2009, 10:56 PM
    After re-reading your post, Change the wire that I suggested to 12/3/G with that 20amp circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom light/fan switch [ 3 Answers ]

My bathroom light and exhaust fan are controlled by one switch. You turn on the switch and the light and the fan both come on. Does anyone know if it is possible to have a separate switch for the light and the fan without running another wire from the fan/light to the switch. If so how is this...

Combo Fan/Light Bathroom Switch [ 1 Answers ]

The light switch on the combo fan/light switch in my bathroom went out. How do I repair this, or should I get an electrican to do so?

Bathroom Fan/Light Switch Issue [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 switch fixture on the wall, top controls lights over sink, bottom controls exhaust fan. The top switch was starting to act up so I went to Lowe's and bought the same identical switch that I have on the wall. I wired up the new one exactly like the one that was already on the wall. I turn...

Bathroom light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I recently moved into a house that is 6 years old. Yesterday, I went to turn on the bathroom light and it would not turn on, but the switch that turns on the fan in the bathroom still works. This two switches are on the same electric plate (I don't know if I am calling it by the right name). They...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

View more questions Search