Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mama77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2009, 01:28 PM
    How old should she be to decide
    My step daughter is 10. My husband and the child's mother have had shared custody since the child was 4 months old. Today she told her mother that she wants to spend more time with her, live with her a few more times a week. She spends a week there and a week with her father. We only live 5 blocks from one another in a small community. I do not think that this is a decision for her to make. Can anyone help, Please.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 01:45 PM
    Actually it probably is a decision that she can make. Her feelings need to be taken into account, and at 10, she is more than capable of telling you all how she feels.

The one week on one week off custody arrangement can be very disruptive for some children and they can feel unsettled and need more time with a primary carer.

Since you all live so close she can come and visit when she wants. You could invite her over for dinner or take her out somewhere and then you would see her more often.

In any case, it is up to her father and mother to negotiate this.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 01:52 PM
    I do personally think she is old enough now to know who she wants to spend time with. She may be getting to that age where being around her mother more is good for her. The talks and the things a girl feels when growing up only a mother can relate to.

I think most important in this is to make sure there isn't any other reason she wants to spend time with her mother more. Meaning has there been problems with her and her father or you? Is she looking for revenge of some sort? As long as its in good intentions I don't see why she can't see her mother more and be old enough to make that decision.

The three of them should sit down and talk about it together.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Nov 18, 2009, 02:41 PM

I agree this is something that needs to be discussed with all parties. The reasons need to be taken in to consideration. You will want to avoid in the future her using her "power of choice" to bounce between houses when she's upset or the rules in one house are to strict or what have you. I think that it is important to listen to what she wants. Being so close to each other really allows her to come and go maybe on her bike or what have you but she may want to be a little more grounded and be uprooted less each week. It may be time to make a change or modification to the visitation set up. Just hear her out. What's your reasoning for not allowing it to be her decision?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't Decide. [ 7 Answers ]

Ever since I was a child I've wanted to be a veterinarian. I currently work in a vet clinic as a Veterinarian Technician. I love my job I love what I do. For the past few years I've also thought about being a forensic scientist or a Crime scene investigator. I don't really know if I want to be a...

Trying to decide [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. OK so if I finally break down and buy a system which one woukd be best? I like guitar hero and racing games. Grand theft auto but I haven't played it since the first one. I also like the golfing and bowling on wii, only ones I ever did. I guess I would have to give up something no matter...

I can't decide [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone suggest how I should pick a major? I'm interested in graphic design, but have not had much access to computers, photography-but no practice, clothing design-but can't afford a fashion school, and psychology- but I have a lot of tattoos would anyone hire me ? Please help I'm so confused.

Can't decide! [ 7 Answers ]

I am really really stuck!I'm trying to decide if I should try out for my middle school cheerleading squad,this is the last year that I can.I really like cheerleading, but I'm up against 6 other girls!! 3 are loved by all ,and good,and then one I know will make it because she is really good!! The...

I need help to decide [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend just moved away from Pennsylvania to Nebraska but I am stuck here. I don't know if we should stay together and have a long distance relationship or break-up. What should I do? Signed :confused:

View more questions Search