Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paintgirl2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 11:56 PM
    Maple Tree ?
    There is a red and a yellow maple tree? They are green all summer. The red one has bright red leaves in the fall and the yellow one is bright yellow in the fall. In the spring they have buds all over the tree the red is bright red buds and the yellow is bright yellow buds! I don't know the correct name or where to get them ? Please if you know any information about these trees I've described let me know ! Thanks from my heart!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2006, 04:27 AM
    The red one is the red maple. It is commonly available wherever nursery stock is sold. Several other maples have yellow leaves in the fall. The most common is the silver maple. It is also easily available, but a poor choice. It is fast growing, but produces a weak structure prone to limbs breaking off. Many people like the pale green underside of the leaves. Trouble is, it will break your heart when it needs cut down, and also your wallet. They also are bad about roots growing on the surface.

Better other choices such as the black or Norway maple. The sugar maple produces a spectacular orange display in the fall.

The tulip tree could be a good alternate to the silver maple if you want fast growth and yellow leaves in the fall. It grows almost as fast, but produces a far stronger tree. They are easy to find too.
    Masey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 07:57 AM
    Maple trees are evil! Before you consider planting a maple tree on your property research the root spread of that particular type. I have a gorgeous red maple on the front lawn that was here when I moved in, however the roots are all over the surface and it is near impossible to grow a lawn around the tree (let alone mow over those pesky roots). Also, maples love to spread themselves and drop those seed things which grow like crazy resulting in a million tiny trees growing wherever they are dropped. If you like having a lawn, choose another type of tree that grows straight down like a London Plain or something.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Aw, maples other than the silver maple, aren't that bad. You can always hack the surface roots down without hurting the tree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple tree dying? [ 2 Answers ]

I planted a maple in December and this spring it began to bloom. The top 6 inches on 5 separate branches of the tree are dead. The leafs on the very low branches are small and the leafs at the top near the dead part of the tree are 3 times the size of the leafs on the lower branches. Can you tell...

Maple tree [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am removing maple tree and I want to plant Dogwood close to that area. How can I remove maple tree roots to plant Dogwood? Thank you Paul

Which red maple tree? [ 1 Answers ]

PLease help me decide which red maple tree to plant. I live in Greensboro, NC and the site is in full sun with somewhat clay soil. I am looking for a beautiful fiery red tree with a good shape. I am confused about the cultivars "October Glory", Autumn Flame, or Red Sunset. The pictures I have...

Maple tree and gourds [ 1 Answers ]

My mother has a maple tree in her front yard, probably 15 or more years old. It has these weird looking things on it. She took a piece of it to the nursery and they told her it was gourds and that bees or wasps do something to them and that they are impossible to get rid of. They are multiplying...

View more questions Search