Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Nov 19, 2009, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Elliot:

Well, it's like I told tom. If I had to choose between the legal arguments YOU make, and the ones our Attorney General makes, I'm gonna go with him...

excon
    Uh huh...

And what legal arguments has Holder made?

He can't even tell us why he's made the decision to try these guys in a civilian court. He hasn't given a legal argument for it. And when pushed yesterday by Lindsay Gramm, he couldn't explain the reasoning to Congress either. Nor could he explain why KSM might be tried in a civilian court but OBL might not. He couldn't explain his logic or his legal reasoning because he isn't using logic or legal reasoning.

So don't listen to MY reasoning. Listen to HOLDER'S reasoning... or lack thereof.

Elliot
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 08:03 AM

What's funny ex is the 180 you've done since Obama was elected. A year ago you would have agreed with those concerns.

Nov 19, 2009, 08:24 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

It's apparent that Goldberg (and you) have NO CLUE how the federal courts work.. In fact, MOST of the people yelling about this have NO CLUE how the federal courts work..
    Let's assume that this is true. Let's assume for a moment that nobody on this board except you has a clue about how federal courts work.

What does that have to do with the fact that KSM's trial doesn't belong in a civilian court?

But, are you actually prepared to argue that you have more extensive knowledge of the civilian federal court system than a Constitutional Attorney and former White House legal advisor like Mark Levin? Or former Congressman and Constitutional Attorney John LeBoutillier? Or Senator and former attorney Lindsey Graham? Or any of the other attorneys and members of Congress who have given very strong arguments of why this is a BAD IDEA?

Sorry, excon, but your limited experience in the federal court system does not make you a legal expert, whereas these guys all are.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    He can't even tell us why he's made the decision to try these guys in a civillian court.
    He made that decision because he's a really smart guy.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    Sorry, excon, but your limited experience in the federal court system does not make you a legal expert, whereas these guys all are.
    Hello again, Elliot:

See that green "expert" tag beside my name?? Where's yours?

Are you saying that whomever can provide the longest list of believers is going to win this argument?? Is that what I've reduced you to? Poor righty.

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 08:39 AM
    Hello again, Elliot:

See that green "expert" tag beside my name??? Where's yours?
    So, like Holder you're a really smart guy so we should just say "hey, he's a really smart guy so he must be right."
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    He made that decision because he's a really smart guy.
    Hello Steve:

I'm glad you brought that up. It relates to Elliot's suggestion that I may NOT be an expert in the law...

But, here's the thing. Our founding fathers knew how to write stuff in short little sentences that even a 3rd grader could understand. The Constitution is only a couple pages. They wrote it that way on purpose so that even a regular guy like me, or Eric Holder perhaps, could understand it.

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 08:51 AM
    It must not be that easy to read because there's all manner of morons out there that think it bans God from government and gives them the right to kill babies and a right to health care, but that's another thread.

So tell me what this means:

The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 08:55 AM

Hello again, Steve:

It says that the towers once stood in the state of NY, and that's where he should be tried.

What do YOU think it says?

excon

Nov 19, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Hello again, Elliot:

See that green "expert" tag beside my name??? Where's yours?

Are you sayin that whomever can provide the longest list of believers is gonna win this argument??? Is that what I've reduced you to? Poor righty.

excon
    Uh huh... so now you're an "expert" in the federal court system because AMHD labeled you an "expert".

Got it.

If that's all you got...

And we've been through this before. I'm a Senior Member, meaning that my member is senior to yours... yours is just formerly pert.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 09:03 AM
    It says that the towers once stood in the state of NY, and that's where he should be tried.
    Didn't you say KSM was captured at home? Did he not plan the attacks from abroad? If we're treating this a law enforcement issue it says to me that he can be tried "at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed."
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 09:24 AM
    Didn't you say KSM was captured at home? Did he not plan the attacks from abroad? If we're treating this a a law enforcement issue it says to me that he can be tried "at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed."
    Hello again, Steve:

Here's the relevant passage you provided:

"... such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed...."

The crime DID occur within a state. Consequently, the balance of the passage doesn't apply. Where he conspired, or where he was arrested are not relevant.

Now, I suppose the list of Constitutional experts Elliot provided are going to say the passage says something else... But, they can't fool me. I know how to read.

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 10:11 AM
    The crime DID occur within a state. Consequently, the balance of the passage doesn't apply. Where he conspired, or where he was arrested are not relevant.
    OK, maybe I'm just being dumb today (no comments) but would that not depend on what they're going to charge him with? As far as I know they plan on charging him with "material support" which traditionally is a war crime and which was upheld in Hamdan as such.

Add Article I, Sec. 8, Clause 10 and Congress has the authority to decide where and how to try KSM. No?
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 04:42 PM

Hello again, Steve:

I never heard of the crime "material support". If it's a war crime, they're not going to be charging him with that. I'll bet they charge with 3,000 counts of murder. Ok, 2,500 just in case they need the other 500 later.

Or, because it's federal, 3,000 counts of denying people their civil rights. Maybe they'll bring him to state court. I don't know. Do you?

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 05:03 PM

You've never heard of material support? It was one of the counts Hamdan was found guilty of. I don't know what they're going to do, but as I posted last it apparently doesn't matter because they have no plans for letting him go if he wins.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 05:13 PM
    ... it apparently doesn't matter because they have no plans for letting him go if he wins.
    I do not believe you mean it to sound this way, but you are saying the USA is a nation of thugs. A man can be found innocent in a court of law and not allowed to walk out?? I've never seen that happen; haven't heard of it, either, unless during Prohibition.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 08:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    I've never seen that happen; haven't heard of it, either
    Hello again, George:

Let me the first to introduce you to this well known phenomenon.

excon
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 09:35 PM
    Hello again, George:

Let me the first to introduce you to this well known phenomenon.

excon
    Fine: your cite?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 04:28 AM
    The McVeigh trial was held in Denver ;the crime committed in Oklahoma City . Imagine that .
    To answer Steve's question ,Article I, Section 8, and Article III, Section 1 of the Constitution give Congress the power to establish the jurisdiction of the lower federal courts and to create exceptions to that jurisdiction.

It won't happen; but Congress could over ride the decision today if it wanted to by limiting federal court jurisdiction to individuals not subject to trial before a military tribunal. In fact ;the Republicans should publicly announce that they have crafted such legislation with as much fanfare as they can muster.Let the nation know which Representative approves of this folly .
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    I do not believe you mean it to sound this way, but you are saying the USA is a nation of thugs. A man can be found innocent in a court of law and not allowed to walk out??? I've never seen that happen; haven't heard of it, either, unless during Prohibition.
    I absolutely mean it to sound that way. Look here and here and follow the links. Ex thinks if the first trial ends with acquittal they'll just keep charging him until one sticks, but that's not the rhetoric coming from the administration, which is if he's acquitted he will return to “preventive detention.”

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jury Duty [ 17 Answers ]

I have researched various web sites about avoiding jury duty and many said that judges can be jerks when it comes to dismissing jurors even when they have a valid excuse such as loss of income of health reasons. Most sites said the best way to avoid it is to simply throw away your summons because...

About grand jury [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my boyfriend got a distribution of uncontrolled substance. He was already on probation in another county which he had did 3 years in prison on a 15 split 3 sentence and got out on probation. He has been out for 2 years. They ar ejust holding hi in jail for his probation violation and he has not...

Jury duty [ 2 Answers ]

Are you required to serve a second term on a jury if you have served in the past?

Poisoned Workplace(?) [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Let me lay out the situation. Person involved: "Aardvark" Other Parties: "Store Manager, District Manager, Human Resources Manager, Corporate HR Guy from "800-report-a-problem" call centre. Aardvark recently got a job at a retail store. She applied for a Store Manager's position,...

Jury Duty [ 5 Answers ]

I am breast feeding single mother, I work 3 days a week(freelancer). I have to work to provide for me and a baby, I pay babysitter when working. -How do I get out of Jury duty and be truthful?

View more questions Search