Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    murphytl1982 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 01:16 PM
    Adding Samsung HDD to back up document on RAID array, HDD not detected
    I recently purchased a Samsung 1.5Tb Eco Drive to back up some of my documents. I cannot seem to get the computer to recognise the drive in the Computer Management tab so that I can partition and format the drive correctly and begin my backup.

On my computer presently I am running 3x320Gb HDD's in RAID 0 and the array is almost completely full now. The rest of the spec of my machine is:

Phenom 9550 2.2Ghz Processor
    4x2Gb Corsair Dominator DDR2 RAM
    Xilence 800W PSU
    MSI K9A2 Mobo
    3x320Gb (Total 894Gb) HDD's
    Sapphire 3870x2 GPU

Please could someone assist me getting my HDD recognised and working so that I can do the necessary backup.

If anyone can give any advice on why my computer hangs for periods of up to 10 seconds at a time I would be very grateful. I suspect it might either be the RAID array catching up with the machine, or my processor. All the scores for windows are 5.9 apart from processor which is 5.8. I know this is not a good way to find the weak point in your machine but something is not right and it has been really bugging me.

Thanks,

Tom
    raj2160 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 08:04 PM
    You need to check whether the hard drive is plugged into the RAID controller. If it is; you'll need to go into the Raid Controller BIOS at boot and set it as standalone(JBOD) to see the drive in Windows. Alternatively if you have a separate SATA, IDE controller; you can plug the drive into that and as long as the device is seen in Windows; it should pop up in Disk Management/Computer Management. Hanging on the machine could be a number of issues including device drivers; hardware and networking. Hard to say what your particular problem is and a shot in the dark to diagnose.

Nov 25, 2009, 04:42 PM

Raj2160,

Many thanks. Your answer has fixed my problem and I now have a working backup drive.

I am going to see if the RAID array might be slowing down the machine by re-installing vista 64 on to one 7k2 HDD.

Regards,

Tom
    raj2160 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2009, 05:14 PM

Hi tom,

Glad I could help. Most people don't think to check the RAID controller so it was the first thing that came to mind. Make sure to have good backups because I don't know if you're aware but if 1 drive in a Raid 0 goes bad, the entire array is lost, which means all your data is lost all 1 TB give or take. Maybe Vista 64 is different, but I haven't seen a significant increase in boot times or speed to justify that risk.

Nov 25, 2009, 05:19 PM

Indeed, got busted with not having a backup before. It is good to have one back. Going to keep things simple with partitions and backups. Hopefully the hanging issue sorts itself out on its own.

Regards,

Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost access to USB connected HDD [ 1 Answers ]

I recently tried to use a portable USB HDD on my Vista computer and it stopped responding. I tried File Scavenger and the program reads the files. Is there another way to regain access to the drive?

Can an OS be recovered from an old HDD? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Folks My name is David and I would be grateful for any advice on offer. I am operating a Dell laptop with an OS of Windows 2000. I ceased using my desktop some time ago but recovered the hard drive from it before discarding. I have connected that HDD via a USB connection and can read...

Adding photos to Samsung YP-K5 [ 1 Answers ]

Hey folks! Can someone tell me how to add photo's to my Samsung (YP-K5) mp3 player using Windows Media Player, I know how to add music is it similar to that process? Thanks MiMi

Software RAID configuration is helpful compared to hardware RAID in any of the cases? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Software RAID configuration (Dynamic Disk) is helpful compared to hardware RAID in any of the cases? I haven't seen Software RAID until now. Just wanted to know the pros and cons regarding this. Thanks in advance, Vathsa

Adding text to a scanned document in word [ 3 Answers ]

How do I edit (add text, delete sections, etc. ) to a document that I have scanned into Microsoft word word processor?

View more questions Search