Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bowler Posts: 133, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2009, 12:25 PM
    CD's and DVD's don't start automatically
    In the past, when I inserted a CD or DVD into the drive, I was always asked what I wanted to do, such as play DVD with Windows Media, Save to a Folder, and other options. These options always came up on my desktop in a box. For some reason, I no longer get this option. I liked that feature and somewhere along the line, I have deleted this function. Now, in order to play a DVD, I have to go to My Computer and click on the DVD drive itself and then it works OK. If I go to Windows Media Program itself and try and play the DVD, the movie comes up garbled and blinking at a high rate of speed. Funny, it will play from My Computer but not from the program itself.

I am using Windows XP Home w/SP3 I recently had a Motherboard failure and I replaced same. Installed a completely new Hard Drive. I am not sure whether the above function worked since that upgrade or not.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 01:14 PM

You've somehow turned "AutoPlay" off.

Open Windows Explorer by double-clicking "My Computer", or by pressing the Windows + "e" key.

Right-click the CD-ROM that isn't working and select Properties from the pop-up menu.

Click the tab marked "AutoPlay"

Select each item from the drop-down list at the top. For Action to perform, select "Take no action" to disable AutoRun, or pick the action you want to take. Select the "Prompt me each time to choose an action" if you wish the pop-up list to appear.

Close the window by clicking the "OK" button.

Nov 17, 2009, 01:42 PM

I found everything you stated and tried same. You are correct. That is the box I am looking for... but even after following your instructions, The options box does not appear on my desktop when I have inserted a CD or DVD so I can select what I want to do, Any more suggestions?

Nov 18, 2009, 10:55 AM

I got it repaired. I continued to search on Internet and found that Microsoft has a fix online at Download details: Autoplay Repair Wizard

The autofix.exe file downloads quickly. If you have more that one DVD or CD Drive, save the file as you have to run the autofix .exe for each drive. After you run the Autofix on each drive, you have to shut down for changes to become effective. Then go to My Computer and right click on your drive and select autoplay tab, from the drop down menu, select DVD, Music or whatever, and select how you want to play the Disc. It worked for me. Hope it helps someone else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get my computer to accept my cd's and dvd's? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a gateway computer, My computer is saying please insert a disk when there is one in there, it won't accept any of my cd's or dvd's. Also is my disk drive supposed to say drive I? How do I get my computer to accept my cd's and dvd's, my computer is about a year and 3 months old, it started...

Blank cd's not read but dvd's work? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to upload music on my cd's, but the drive won't read blank disks. I thought it was totally gone but then I put in a dvd and it worked. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Carrier Furnace will not Start automatically [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Carrier furnace that is 5 years old, the thermostat is set for 23 degrees, and the temperature is sitting at 19 degrees. The furnace quite often will not kick in, if I open the door of the furnace and manually hold the switch it sometimes kicks in with the first try; however I normally...

CD dvd's [ 1 Answers ]

I just like to know a few things about these optical disks. Here's my question: First of all, dvd, cd, vcd - are they the file extensions? e.g. Movie1.dvd If there not the file extensions, are these the following extensions or formats of dvd's and vcd's: Avi mpeg vob that I've got a...

Cleaning dvd's and cd's [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to clean dvds and cds?

View more questions Search