Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marine_Princess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 07:50 PM
    Marriage at 18
    I'll be 18 in two weeks and Im a E-3 in the U.S Marines Corps and I leave to Iraq in June,my fiancée will be 18 in April and we want to get married in May, is that to early?!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 8, 2006, 08:11 PM
    Personally I would wait till you get back, a year away from a new bride is tough on any marriage.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2006, 08:11 PM
    How do you and your fiancée feel? Is it too early for you or too early for your fiancée? Your questioning it? My question to you is why do you think your questioning it? Is it something inside you that is saying it may be too early or do you have others giving you that advice? It is your decision on what to do? Yours together, but I also agree with Father Chuck that waiting until you come back would be a better idea.

Joe
    Meggx7 Posts: 10, Reputation: -1

Nov 9, 2006, 07:25 PM
    OMG yes that is wayyyy tooo early my best friend got married last July 2005 to a marine she was 18 she's now 19 her hubby will be 21 in January and it is just way too hard for her to be away from him and they always fight all the time about their financial problems and where they're going to live next I would deff wait!!
    gansada Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Nov 9, 2006, 07:40 PM
    Yes.

Too early.

Think bout what u r going into.

How do ur fiance feel?

Wait till you get back!

Think bout this hard. !

Peace!
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Nov 9, 2006, 08:52 PM
    Another "yes, it is too early" vote.

I've seen too many others who married in their 20's and their marriage broke down due to immaturity on their parts. 18? Whew. There is no need for you to rush into this. If you must, try living together at least for 2 - 3 years.
    samsclub Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Nov 10, 2006, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine_Princess
    I'll be 18 in two weeks and Im a E-3 in the U.S Marines Corps and I leave to Iraq in June,my fiancee will be 18 in April and we want to get married in May, is that to early???!!
    Please do not make a major life decision when you are about to take on something as big as going to Iraq. Marriage is really serious and it sucks to be divorced (I am). It would be better to wait out your current circumstance and see how it is at the end of that- than to regret it and get a divorce and have the "I am divorced" thing hanging over your head. If it is true it will work out at the end.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 11, 2006, 06:41 PM
    What the hurry is what I've been saying for a long time. Much better to wait till you comeback and can be with your new wife.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2006, 09:42 PM
    I'm only 10 years older than you and I can tell you that you have no idea how life changes in the next 10 years. You will be a different person in 5 years and a completely different person in 10 years. I had a best friend from 8th grade (13 or 14 years old) who I hung out with almost daily until about 20 years old. He moved away lived life had a child, and I went to college started living life and about two years ago we happen to meet at a gas station by accident. We started talking and had lunch at a taco bell next door. We were cordial with one another at the end of lunch and we exchanged numbers. Neither of us ever called the other.

Do you know why? Because we were two different people then we were in high school. We had lived life and experienced different lives, seen different things, and become different people. We had gone in different directions and had lost any kind of common connection that had made us friends years before.

You don't know who your going to be in 10 years. The person will be vastly different the person you are now.
    Feeling Foolish Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 15, 2006, 12:54 PM
    Strickly a opinion based on experience. Wait. If you really love each other that's not going to change. There's no reason to rush into marriage. What you want now may change in a year or even a month.
    aine6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 01:48 PM
    Okay. I'm 18 myself. And I've been engaged twice, but the reason why the engagements didn't work out was because of communication. (I always wanted to get married at a young age because most of my goals involve family so I'm prepared for tough times and etc).

So here's the thing. You're going off to Iraq. Just to let you know, there's not much communication depending on what field you're in. My dad was in Iraq for about a year. It was tough on all of us because he was only able to call once a week and you have a time limit. Once, they had to move him because the area he was in was getting bombed. We didn't talk to him for about a month which worried us to death.

In any relationship, ESPECIALLY marriage, the number one thing is communication. Considering you're going into the military, I would suggest just being engaged for a while and see how you two are able to handle being away from each other. That's probably where the true test of commitment is.

Just know that when you get back, it won't get any better. There's may end up being issues that arise. When my dad got back, me and my mom felt weird being around him because we were without him for a year. That's when communication was also really valuable. He's missed so much of my life that year (I turned 13 then) and when he came back, me and him grew a part a little. Until me and him had father&daughter bonding time.

So. Have a long term engagement.

That and if y'all are mature enough and understand the life choices that you're going to have to make as soon as y'all get married, then go for it. It's going to be hard and tough. In my times of being engaged, that's the first thing we found out. (No offense guys, but it was usually the other that decided to call the engagements off).

Other than that. Congratulations. Not a lot of people find that significant other so early in life.

I'm happy because I have mine as of now. And we're going to discuss future plans with each other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will my marriage last? [ 10 Answers ]

I have been married for 16 months but I don't trust my husband. I am 8 months pregnant and need to know before its too late for my baby if he is going to cheat and if we will last

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Will my marriage last? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my D.O.B is 12-17-1983 am getting married in 2 months I want to know if my marriage will last /will I have any children ?and how many ?and is my fiancé cheating on me?my email address is [email protected] Please Help!! :( :( :( :(

Marriage [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=24811 The above link is a question about money in a relationship. It turned into a religious discussion by one member. My question is: Are all marriages considered to be "religious ceremonies"? A marriage in a Church is usually considered a...

Marriage? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I am 16 and my boyfriend is 21, we have been together for 1 year. He is Asian and has recently experienced certain difficulties that have led to the involvement of the immigration department. He may be deported. We both agree that the only way that he will be able to stay in or return to this...

View more questions Search