Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    e-thomson Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 05:42 AM
    Computer won't start up
    Hi
    My computer won't start up - it was switched off whilst doing the automatic updates, now when we turn it on it goes downloading 3 of 3 after a while a black screen appears then it goes back to downloading 3 of 3 it repeats this sequence all the time and doesn't proceed further. We've left it like that for a long time but it won't complete the updates - can someone please help me - thanks

PS - it is a vista home premium, if this helps!
    Zaithe Posts: 99, Reputation: 4

Nov 18, 2009, 03:04 AM

Go to safe mode by pressing F8 and uninstall last updates done by vista and then check

Nov 18, 2009, 09:31 AM

Hi Zaithe - have tried your suggestion but it doesn't work when pressing safe mode the computer goes back to downloading 3 of 3 and so on then repeats the process again and again - please help thanks
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 06:01 PM

Were you udating to SP2? If so, you may have to let it stay on step 3 longer than you have let it go so far.

Would let it sit maybe overnight.

Nov 18, 2009, 08:37 PM

Ahan then do you have recovery cds? If yes then restore your system to previous date using that cds?

Nov 19, 2009, 10:05 AM

I'll try to leave it overnight tonight and see what happens tomorrow.

No I don't have any recovery cds any other suggestions please.

Thanks guys I'll try any suggestions
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 07:46 PM

Did that help to wait longer?

If did not come with recovery cd's,
    What model computer

Nov 20, 2009, 02:08 AM

No, it did not do anything different - it is an acer aspire computer. Apparently the automatic updates were completed and when the computer prompted to restart it was my daughter shut it down instead. The next day the computer wouldn't work and just comes up with the downloading system package 3 of 3 - 0% complete - do not switch off your computer. This goes on for a few seconds then a black screen appears with little green lights at the bottom moving from left to right in a small box. After that the whole process repeats itself again and again all night for the past few days. I even switched everything off and plugged all lead out too. The only way to switch the comupter off is press the power key for a few seconds - please, please help

Nov 20, 2009, 03:15 AM

Use the following step to make vista repair cd and then restore your system to previous date.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dont-have-one/

Nov 20, 2009, 03:26 AM

This another link might also can help you
    Creating a Windows Vista Recovery CD | Microsoft Windows | TechRepublic.com

Nov 20, 2009, 03:41 AM

Thanks for your answers but I can't download anything onto my computer - the only two screens I get is the downloading message and after that the black screen - it doesn't go any further than that I can't access anything from my computer - I'm replying to you using another computer away from home!

Nov 20, 2009, 04:29 AM

Ahan, but I really doubt one thing that it is still in safe mode say to download the package because in safe mode no network setting are enabled and no internet and it just run few necessary files to run the window so how that download screen come in that mode?
    Did you use safe mode?
    1- Press F8 right after the bios screen and a menu ll open and you select safe mode and then press enter?
    Did you do this?

Nov 20, 2009, 05:17 AM

I've pressed F8, F1 and F12 - F12 is the boot menu key but when I press it to boot with hardrive it goes to a black screen with a few words for a split second then disappears and goes back to the downloading message - this is driving me crazy and I'm going mental - nothing seems to work!

Nov 20, 2009, 05:21 AM

No you have to just press F8 and then a scren like
    Press f8 image by Wolfeymoles-Pics on Photobucket
    Comes and you ll select safe mode and then press enter? Did you do this ?

Nov 20, 2009, 05:38 AM

Last night I kept on pressing F8 but no new screen comes up apart from the annoying downloading message

Nov 20, 2009, 05:40 AM
    By the way my computer is an acer aspire - does this help

Nov 20, 2009, 08:16 AM

Well you have to press f8 again and again when computer restart or you on the system. And then the safe mode option came

Nov 20, 2009, 08:23 AM

I'll try again tonight and let you know - I hope it will work but I must say I have been doing this the past few days I kept pressing the F8 again and again and again but will persevere - many thanks for your continual suggestions
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 09:32 AM

Worse case scenario, with acers, you can do a full system recovery back to factory settings

You would hold hit CTRL + F10 during boot which would bring you to a recovery screen (this recovery information is on a hidden partition on Acer's)

This would re-format the drive and install vista back to the way it was when purchased.

As far as the update, I would suggest to download the update as a stand alone update and not use the online update.
    -This way the update can be installed from your hard drive and not need the internet to do it.

I have the link if interested

Nov 20, 2009, 09:48 AM

Yes, please give me the link - thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My computer does not start [ 4 Answers ]

Hi ,to whom it may concern ,my computer does not start ,I've tried to strart with safe mode but it did not, I always get this message:lost or damaged file : System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, is there anybody that knows something about this. ...

Computer won't start [ 2 Answers ]

My computer won't boot up the operating system, and I have blank dark screen on my desktop, showing preparing to start your new computer, underneath is c:\> which I don't know the command. Can you help, please >Moved from Forum Help<

How do I reboot my computer and start frest as though it was a new computer [ 17 Answers ]

My computer is very slow I want to reboot it from the start

Can't start computer [ 5 Answers ]

In order to start my computer I have to unplug it, wait for 15 minutes and then:confused: plug it in, press the power button and hope it starts. It may take several tries before it catches and stays on. Please help. Thanks, bob

View more questions Search