Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Nov 16, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Reading glycoproteins?
    Ekkk... okay...

So does anyone out there in cyber space know how to determine what a glycoprotein is? I have what I guess is a western blot that has two parts conA-AMM control group and just a conA group. Do the glycoproteins stick to both or do they stick to just the connA group?
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Nov 16, 2009, 07:18 PM
    ConA is a lectin. It binds to specific kinds of sugars that are found on proteins.
    You can detect protein which contain these sugars (glycoproteins) by ConA binding to them (ex in a Western Blot)
    AMM is alpha methyl mannoside. This is sugar that binds to ConA.
    Enough said?
    Expert

Nov 16, 2009, 08:40 PM

So if I'm looking for glycoproteins in a western blot they'll show up on just the ConA-AMM and the other sticky proteins won't?

Nov 16, 2009, 08:57 PM

No, the specific binding will show up with the ConA & the addition of AMM will block this.
    The AMM will block all of the ConA binding that's lectin specific & leave you with the NSB. So ConA-AMM will detect the sticky proteins only.
    Expert

Nov 16, 2009, 10:01 PM
    :-(
    Great now I have to re-do my homework.

Just to clarify w/ the pict below, the one on the left shows sticky proteins while the one on the right shows both.
    Thanks so much for your help!
    Attached Images

Nov 16, 2009, 10:10 PM

Right!
    Expert

Nov 16, 2009, 10:19 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
    (I'd give you one of those cool green things, but it won't let me!)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reading into it too much? [ 8 Answers ]

I actually had a decent conversation with my ex the other day about our dog. She called me honey twice during the conversation. Is this habit or am I reading into it too much?

Am I reading too much into this? [ 4 Answers ]

First of all thanks for any opinions I get on this. I have been married for 3 years and have known him for over 4. During our dating period he cheated on me, (2 times) I caught him, and was ready to leave, he convinced me to give him another chance he loved me and wanted to change. I must say...

Really want a reading [ 7 Answers ]

I can't find anyplace that does FREE readings. THey all have hidden charges, and charged readings are so terribly inaccurate, but enough of that, is there anyone here that can give me a reading? If you can, let me know, and I'll send a personal message.

I need a reading [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone do psychic readings that's able to help me ? Thanku

View more questions Search