Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ortho74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 11:15 AM
    Overstayed his visa
    I am with a man who came to the US to go to school. His student visa has expired & we have one child together. Is there anything I can do to help him? I have researched this a little & I keep seeing different answers. Some say there is nothing that can be done once his papers expire to help him stay & some say if I marry him he will be able to stay. Which one is correct? Also, how soon if we marry can he get his papers to return home to visit? He misses his family & wants to see them, but is scared to return there with no papers for fear he will not be able to get back in & see his child.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 04:30 PM

If you are US citizen, then marry him and sponsor immigrant visa for him. Since he overstayed his visa, it's recommended to have immigration attorney handle this matter. If all is done properly, he should be able to get GC in 6 months.
    Sympathetic Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2010, 05:40 PM
    I was in a similar situation. I overstayed my F1 visa for over 10 years but was fortunate to marry a US citizen who was able to help me adjust my status without me having to leave the country. We hired a lawyer, got and submitted all the correct paperwork, i.e passport, joint bank statements, joint income tax returns, medical records and so on. Anyway the entire process took about 8 months and cost about $5000, maybe it was less. This way worked for us and it should work for you provided he does not have a criminal history. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wife overstayed visa and left the you.S. Can she return? [ 3 Answers ]

I am an American citizen, me and my wife who is British went to live in America in June of 2006. My wife was a first time visitor and entered under the Visa Waiver Program. We got married before the Visa expired and around the same time she found out she was pregnant and our son was born in the...

Overstayed B2 visa by 2 years, what are my options to get a legal status again? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to the US on a B2 tourist visa, valid till 2016, 3 years ago in march 2006. I stayed the allowed 180 days, extended my stay for another 180 days of legal stay and then just stayed here illegally since March 2007. I have a ssn and bank accounts, credit cards, insurance, I work and pay...

Overstayed visa for 3 years But departed the you.S while under 18 [ 2 Answers ]

I was just curious to ask this because a friend of mine from eastern Europe came to the United States when he was 14 yrs old on a tourist visa with his family. However, he overstayed his visa and stayed in the U.S illegally for almost 3 years. He left the United States voluntarily without being in...

Overstayed on b1 and b2 [ 8 Answers ]

I got 5 years multiple visa I traveled 2 times once I went and came back And then after 3 years of tat I travelled again in 2008 I got 6 monthes entry but I stayed more 45 days on that and came back So now I want to apply for student visa would it be possible for me??

View more questions Search