Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blahtrac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2009, 11:38 PM
    Tax accounting
    Hello,

This is my homework assignment. However it is not a graded hw assignment. This is for study purposes only. Can I please get some detailed answers please.

Here it is:

T is thinking about starting or acquiring a new business. T is currently in the pie making business where his company bakes special order pies for parties and for grocery stores. The grocery store pies are mass produced as opposed to the special order pies. T thinks that his business expertise will lend itself to a catering business. He has spent considerable time looking into the business, to determine whether he should buy an existing business or start his own. He has incurred legal fees from lawyers, and accountant’s fees for various advice with respect to the new venture. The legal and accounting fees to date have been $15,000. T decides to start his own business and begins to work on getting the business up and running. He incurs the following costs. He loans some of his own pie staff to the new business in order to get it going.

Legal/accounting (same as above) $15,000
    Incorporation costs $4,000
    Loaning his pie staff personnel time $10,000
    Purchasing of catering equipment $50,000
    Truck purchase $25,000

Determine what to do with each of the above costs. Support your conclusions as to whether you think that T can deduct the costs or must capitalize them. Determine the amount you think that T can deduct during 2009, and how much, if any, he must deduct in future years. Presume that all of the activities and costs were incurred during 2009. (10 points)
    a. Deductions; Legal/accounting, Incorporation cost
    b. Capitalize; Equipment, and Trucks
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2009, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by blahtrac View Post
    this is my homework assignment. however it is not a graded hw assignment. This is for study purposes only. Can I please get some detailed answers please.
    You should still make your own attempt at doing the problem first. If it's for study, then you're supposed to be studying it. You will learn better if you go through and see what you can do with it and then let someone guide you in the work you've attempted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State Tax returns [ 2 Answers ]

How can I see the status of my 2007 and 2008 state tax returns?

Tax treaty with China [ 3 Answers ]

I am a financial advisor. I have friends who are residents of China that would like to invest in mutual funds, real estate, and annuities here in the United States. They are Chinese citizens - no social security number. Can this be done and is there a 30% backup withholding rate for any gains? Or...

Which State Gets the Tax [ 3 Answers ]

I am a nj resident who just accepted a job with a Maryland corporation, and I will be physically working in an office in Maryland. Should my employer withhold md or nj state income tax from my check? I know for a fact that the company pays unemployment insurance to the state of New Jersey, which...

Amended tax return [ 1 Answers ]

How do I check the status of my emended tax return?

Tax Saving [ 1 Answers ]

I am a United State citizen and bringing my parents in 2-3 months on tourist visa from India. Can I claim them as my dependents for my tax purpose.

View more questions Search