Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Sep 2, 2012, 06:10 AM
    So that is one spider and one "shell" (sorry don't know the proper term)?
    Do tarantulas have exo skeletons? I've never been into spiders, I have a healthy respect for them though.
    I tried to look away, but I couldn't, now I shudder.
    But that is pretty cool.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 2, 2012, 09:23 AM
    The one towards the front is the spider and the one in the back is the discarded exuvium or "shell". Yes, spiders have exoskeletons and molt when they outgrow them. Everything is renewed... even the fangs. You can see in the 2nd picture that the new fangs are white, which means they're soft and won't harden for a day, maybe two. When they molt, they are completely defenseless for the time during and a few days after.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 2, 2012, 09:50 AM
    That is so cool Odinn. I've always loved spiders. My husband is terrified of them, which is why we don't have a tarantula. Also, I'm not big on pets that I have to feed living things to. I feel guilty whenever I kill anything.

But I'd get over it if I could have a tarantula. Are they a lot of work?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 05:36 PM
    OK I'll admit, I probably would have never seen a spider molt had I not looked... neat, but omg where's the vacuum! Lol heebie jebbies to the max... shudder.
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    ok I'll admit, I probably would have never seen a spider molt had I not looked...neat, but omg where's the vacuum!! lol heebie jebbies to the max....shudder.
    You really should come visit me in December. My best friends entomologist to the stars is going to be here then, and trust me, 1/2 an hour with him and you'll be begging for a spider of your very own. :)
    Entomology Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    But I'd get over it if I could have a tarantula. Are they a lot of work?
    Not at all.

Crickets a few times a month. Clean water. Uhh... yeah, that's about it.

The hardest part is the initial cost and setting up their living area.

The Red Knee that I posted the pics of is worth about $200 as she is now but when I bought her 7 years ago as a spiderling ("sling") she was $35. There are cheaper spiders out there such as the Grammostola rosea (Rose hair) which is very common and a good starter.

A 5 or 10 gallon aquarium with some pesticide free potting soil and peat moss, a little water dish, a plastic cup or small flower pot, and a damn good fitting lid... that's about it.

Great pets. No noise, no smell, don't need to walk them... just be careful when putting your hand in their tank and you're good to go.
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 08:31 PM
    Careful? Me? You don't know me at all. ;)

My ex is an entomologist. For years he's told me that when I can talk hubby into a spider, he'll get one for me, and the terrarium. He'll set the whole thing up, I just have to maintain it.

The only problems I have is hubby (he's terrified of anything with more than 4 legs that's smaller than a pug) and the fact that I'd have to feed it other living things. I'm not big on killing anything in order to feed something else. It makes no sense really. I'm not a vegetarian, I love meat. Then again, I don't go out and kill the animals I'm eating. If I look into something's eyes when it's alive, it's named, and it become a pet. Pets are friends, not food. Sigh.
    Entomology Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 08:59 PM
    Crickets... eh, you can get used to dropping them in the tank pretty easily.

I have seen that some people feed pinkie mice to larger spiders... now that I don't agree with at all.
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 11:06 PM
    Wait... I could probably get behind the mouse thing. I have a mouse problem in my garage. In fact, they're taking over. I set up traps, they don't go near them. My husband is talking about buying a snake because he's allergic to cats. I've talked him out of a snake only because the garage is too cold, and they only eat one mouse a month. That wouldn't really help with the mouse problem.

So, how many mice can a big spider eat? OMG! I can't believe I'm thinking about killing the mice! Wait... I already did think about it, and tried to do it, they're just to smart to fall for it.

I'm evil. I must go apologize to the mice now. :(
    Hennali Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

Sep 8, 2012, 03:00 PM
    My boxer:)
    Attached Images

Pets Expert

Sep 8, 2012, 03:05 PM
    OMG! Hennali, he's adorable! What a sweetheart!

I could just eat him up! In a good way, not a bad way. ;)
    Pets Expert

Sep 8, 2012, 03:10 PM
    I guess I should post updated pics of my pups. The bunnies don't really change. Seen them once, seen them a million times. But pups do change.

You all saw the puppy pictures of Rascal when we got him 4 months ago. This is day one, Rascal puppy and Chewy beagle bum.

Name:  Chewy October 2008, first day 003.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  57.4 KB

This is them now.

Name:  Chewy October 2008, first day 017.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  66.3 KB
    Hennali Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

Sep 8, 2012, 03:38 PM
    You can tell they are both wagging their tails:) did you notice mine sleeps like a human, pillow and all. I made him move shortly after that photo was taken he's a little itchy to sleep next to!
    C0bra_M3nace Posts: 1,296, Reputation: 223
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2012, 09:37 AM
    Here's a few pics of my little guy! His name's Pickles and he's just over a year old. Happy and very healthy.

Pets Expert

Sep 9, 2012, 02:17 PM
    Awwww! Cobra, he's adorable.

I love cats. I can't have cats. Hubby is allergic to cats. I almost didn't marry him because of that, but thankfully he loves dogs, and bunnies, and birds, and... okay, not the fish so much. The fish were a bad idea. :(
    C0bra_M3nace Posts: 1,296, Reputation: 223
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2012, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Awwww! Cobra, he's adorable.

I love cats. I can't have cats. Hubby is allergic to cats. I almost didn't marry him because of that, but thankfully he loves dogs, and bunnies, and birds, and.....okay, not the fish so much. The fish were a bad idea. :(
    Yeah fish are expensive! My parents had a few but they had to get rid of them because they just costed too much money.
    Pets Expert

Sep 9, 2012, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by C0bra_M3nace View Post
    Yeah fish are expensive! My parents had a few but they had to get rid of them because they just costed too much money.
    Crap, then I'm doing something wrong.

I have a 27 cent feeder fish that the pet store swore would only live for 2 weeks. I bought it for my daughter when she was 2 because she wanted a pet of her own, and I knew she wasn't ready to be responsible for an actual pet pet, so I got her the goldfish. My daughter is now 10, and the goldfish is still alive. He's outgrown many tanks, and we added more fish because one fish in a 20 gallon tank is really sad looking. The only fish that survived, other than Goldie, is an algae eater we named Fang.

I can't keep any other fish alive, only these two. Saddest thing, the 20 gallon tank is now getting too small. :(
    Cats Expert

Sep 9, 2012, 03:19 PM
    I'm sensing that the fish of the world may need an advocate.
    The good things about fish.
    -They don't take up much room on the couch
    -They are not overly enthusiastic about going for a drive.
    -No necks, therefore no leash walks
    -The neighbors fish will never come over to torment your fish through the bowl.
    -They don't poo on the carpet
    They understand that you don't have time for a belly rub, so they ask once and only once. (I know that was wrong on many levels huh?)
    -If you are a willing learner they will teach you how to do this.

11 Funny Fish Faces On Flickr (PHOTOS)

Dang fish are sounding pretty good.
    Pets Expert

Sep 9, 2012, 03:57 PM
    I see an opportunity here.

Lady Sam, I've often stated on this site that my fish are free to a good home, tank and stand, a years worth of food, drops, you name it, all provided, and all free!

Just say the word and they're yours. :)
    Cats Expert

Sep 9, 2012, 04:08 PM
    Haha!
    I'm too busy with the things that take up lots of couch space, and need walking and belly rubs and want to take rides.
    Besides how would you get across the border, talk about expensive.
    I wonder how much they would charge to ship a 27 cent fish?
    All joking aside if you were around the corner I'd take him, I love fish, I just don't have the time.

By the way Cobra-Cute cat and my favorite color too, I have 3 cats and none of them my favorite color.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pets and being pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

Is it harmful to be around indoor pets while being pregnant?

CA - No Pets Law [ 1 Answers ]

I have been doing research online and I noticed in NY, that if a tenant has a pet for longer than 3 months and the landlord is aware of it and the landlord does not enforce the "no pets" terms of the lease than the tenant can keep the pet for the length of their tenancy. In the state of California...

Pets by marriage [ 3 Answers ]

If my partner and I take the next big step of living together, we would be bringing together two sets of pets (still an if at this stage, although we've both wondered how we would deal with all the pets if we did). He lives on a 5 acre property with a big, gorgeous, cat friendly Rottweiller...

Pictures of our members Pets [ 51 Answers ]

Ok since so many of us talk about our pets, and a few of us have posted pictures of them under the members pictures forum, I wanted to start a new one for Just the pets... Show them all off! Here are some of mine to start it off.:D 2305

View more questions Search