Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 07:38 PM
    Speech problems
    Hello everyone.
    I'm hoping to find a speech therepist on here. Or something of that nature. Or anyone who has experience with this.

My daughter went in through the school to see the speech therepist for her school district. And I got the letter from the therepist but never got a chance to talk to her about it. She is concerned about the NG sound (sing becomes Seen) the R sound (bird becomes bord) the TH sound (the becomes Duh, that becomes Dat)

She said in the letter that she isn't super worried at this point about those sounds except for the NG sound she is past the developmental range given for that. So she has practice sheets to go over with her.

What I am concerned about, and what I would like advice on from you guys, is if I should go back to her and specifically voice this concern. Ayla seems to be stuttering, only backward. For example, with the word Stop, instead of stuttering 'normally' saying 's-s-stop'
    She says 'stop-p-p'
    The letters she does this with is,
    Stop-p-p
    Snack-k-k
    Cat-t-t
    Mass-s-s

And any other words with those letters at the end.

Is this normal for a 5-6 year old? Or should I bring it up?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 15, 2009, 07:43 PM
    Very normal. She is 5. Her brain is thinking faster than her mouth can move. All 4 of my kids did the same at around that age.

She will refine her speech as she grows older. Just keep working with her to slow down when she talks.
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 07:54 PM

OK thanks hon. She is 6. but only barely :p by like a month hehe. But thanks hon. I just wanted to make sure it was normal or at least common. I don't want to bug the therepist over something non important she is the only therepist for all the schools in the district.
    Expert

Nov 15, 2009, 07:55 PM
    Okay, 6 then, but it's common. As I said, their minds move faster than their mouths. They are also still learning how to refine their speech.

Has she had her hearing checked?
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 08:21 PM

Not yet. But the teacher says they do it at the school after christmas break.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 15, 2009, 08:34 PM

Actually I would have to say its uncommon for a 6 year old, that is exactly why she was evaluated by the speech path. Who referred her for the eval; you or the teacher? Where you asked to sign any forms giving written permission? Was a staffing held to explain the finds and give you written reports? Last but not least where do you live? Do not feel you are bothering the pathologist, this is her job
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 09:50 PM

Her doctor wrote a note on a p rescription pad to her teacher asking to evaluate her.

I wasn't asked to sign any forms, probably because I was the one that gave the teacher the note requesting it. So would that qualify as permission?

We live in Arizona.

I am thinking about calling her tomorrow, if nothing else to get more details on how the eval went. The letter she sent was straight forward with only as much details as were nessisary.

Nov 16, 2009, 07:51 AM

Let's start with the Peditrician or doctor who wrote the script, he must believe there is a problem or he would not write s script. Once that script was given to the school they have no choice and must complete a speech evaluation but they still should have called you in for a meeting. They would explain the process and then get your written permission. It appears to me that some steps have been skipped or ignored which raise a red flag in my mind. Go to the top and call the school district's central office and ask to speak to the director of special education. Ask for a meeting where the director can explain their process and provide you with the details of your daughter's evaluation, if they even did one.
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 08:04 AM

Ok thanks hon. Ayla says she sat on the grass and went through some words with a 'lady who helped her say words right' (thats what she said lol)

But your right it does sound very informal, I am going to go call her number now. Thanks.

Nov 16, 2009, 08:08 AM

If that is what was done the school is in violation of Federal law unless Arizona has succeeded from the Union.
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Nov 16, 2009, 08:10 AM

Have you had her hearing checked lately?
    Expert

Nov 16, 2009, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zippit View Post
    have you had her hearing checked lately?
    Already asked and answered.

Nov 16, 2009, 08:13 AM

Zippit brings out a good point. Steps during a true evaluation would test her hearing. A health component would also look into anything else that could explain the issue
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2009, 08:19 AM

Right.

Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Has she had her hearing checked?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennie View Post
    not yet. but the teacher says they do it at the school after christmas break.
    Expert

Nov 16, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Zippit brings out a good point. Steps during a true evaluation would test her hearing. A health component would also look into anything else that could explain the issue
    The hearing test will be done around Christmas... Jennie already answered this.

Also, her daughter is/was diagnosed as either ADD or ADHD... while I don't agree with such a diagnosis at such a young age, particularly in kindergarten when many children are learning to socialize for the first time. This could possibly explain what is going on. Thus, the reason I feel this is normal for Ayla. Again, all 4 of my children went through this... much of it is just an immature speech pattern that will correct itself during socialization.

Heck, I know a family who is getting SSDI because their child said "bwink" instead of "drink" at the age of 4. She is now 7 and has no speech problems whatsoever. Many times, but not always, socialization is the key to proper speech techniques.
    Rule Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2009, 08:32 PM

Your daughter has N.A.D. Your daughter needs extensive speech therapy with a registered speech language pathologist. She requires three, one hour sessions weekly with cognitive home work nightly. School pathologists are not enough. L know. You just described my daughter at that age. My daughter is 19 now.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2009, 08:44 PM

What is N.A.D.

While the experience and advice is, I'm sure, appreciated, what makes you qualified to decide how much and how often this little girls sessions are?
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2009, 09:54 PM

NAD is nurotic anxiety disorder I THINK.

I don't believe she has enough of the symptoms to have that as speech issues is the ONLY symptom of NAD she has lol. She doesn't have any of the others.
    Although I will look more into it. Most of her speech problems are still considered developmental at this point. Just a few anomalies that will probably get better. As of this month her NG sounds are already better with practice here at home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A speech [ 8 Answers ]

I have attend a public speaking course... n my teacher ask me to talk about "what makes me a chinese"so I dun have any idea... :( n I ned tis on tis wed... plzz.. help me wit it... thankss:D

My son Speech situation [ 6 Answers ]

My son is 4yrs old and 8 months. He says word but never a whole sentence. He understands everything people tell him but when it comes to him talking to me, he says everything by words.. Example: If I ask him, JJ are you hungry? Instead of saying Yes, I"m hungry, he only says "food" or just...

WAPO: Free speech ain't free speech [ 23 Answers ]

I was always under the impression that free speech was free speech, now we have things like "hate speech," "free speech zones," the UN's "you can't offend Islam speech," and as I gave an example of today - "politically correct speech." The Washington Post claims a distinction between Political...

What do I cover in my speech [ 1 Answers ]

HELP. Can you please give me a list of topics I need to cover when doing my engagement speech. :eek:

Speech [ 3 Answers ]

I babysit my younger cousin, he is 8 yrs old and has a bad speech problem. He has been held back in kindergarten and they have tried to hold him back again in 1 st grade but his parents did not allow it. My 5 yr old can speak 100 times better than he does. I have noticed that no body takes time to...

View more questions Search