Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 05:55 PM
    Pond algea
    My pond is crystal clear now, I can see all the way to the bottom, but I still have algea clinging to the plant stems and pots, bricks, sides, etc...

Is this what should be expected in a back yard liner pond? (12 years old)

I'm thinking I need to keep sweeping stuff around so it gets through the filter, but that may never happen.

I have a UV light and a BIO filter and a 750 gallon pump for a (I think) 500 gallon pond, plus the regular filter I clean every day at this point.

Any suggestions?
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Nov 15, 2009, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    My pond is crystal clear now, I can see all the way to the bottom, but I still have algea clinging to the plant stems and pots, bricks, sides, etc....

Is this what should be expected in a back yard liner pond? (12 years old)
    I've never seen one that didn't have at least some algae. JD, some algae is a good thing, and It sounds like you are back to that point.
    Can the plants be cleaned, and transplanted into new pots? Swap out the bricks for new ones, and while your moving that around you can sweep those hidden spots.
    Do you know if you have planktonic (green water) or filamentous algae (stringy, hairlike algae)?
    I'm thinking I need to keep sweeping stuff around so it gets through the filter, but that may never happen.
    Can you get or make a skimmer? You can get them with handles $12bucks
    I have a UV light and a BIO filter and a 750 gallon pump for a (I think) 500 gallon pond, plus the regular filter I clean every day at this point.

Any suggestions??
    • UV an BIO are good,
    • can you shade the pond
    • Have you ever tried a water dye to decrease the amount of light penetration
    • have you ever tried beneficial bacteria
    • can you increase the aeration rate

How to Control Pond Algae
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KUXJ View Post
    • UV an BIO are good,
    • can you shade the pond
    • Have you ever tried a water dye to decrease the amount of light penetration
    • have you ever tried beneficial bacteria
    • can you increase the aeration rate

How to Control Pond Algae
    I have plants for the shade, but that's the best I can do until my palm tree gets a little bigger.
    I've tried the beneficial bacteria and it made it worse, I might try it again, I still have some left.

I'm going to try making an under water aerator because it sounds like I have Filamentous algae, except for it's really not stringy, it's more fuzzy. It sticks to the rocks and stuff, but not to the plants.
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 02:01 PM
    When I got home, I cleaned the pond pump filter and didn't replace it. The pump has a cage on it, so my theory is that the algae will go through the pump (it's not clumpy) and get trapped in my BIO filter (which I also cleaned) I also cut my middle section of tubing to flow under water for some more circulation lower. I still have a tube dropping water at one end and the waterfall type thing at the other.

So according to the articles, it now has some lower circulation which should help any dead areas that might be collecting and growing more algae.

I expect it to be perfect in an hour:rolleyes:

Nov 16, 2009, 06:50 PM
    When I got home, I cleaned the pond pump filter and didn't replace it. The pump has a cage on it, so my theory is that the algae will go through the pump (it's not clumpy) and get trapped in my BIO filter (which I also cleaned) I also cut my middle section of tubing to flow under water for some more circulation lower. I still have a tube dropping water at one end and the waterfall type thing at the other.

So according to the articles, it now has some lower circulation which should help any dead areas that might be collecting and growing more algae.

I expect it to be perfect in an hour:rolleyes:
    :p
    Back in the day, when the DW, and me had a pool, and the pool would have an algae bloom it would take 2, 3days runnin' the filter 24/7 to get it under control.

You might have to do like I did and put on a pair of cotton socks, get in an slide your feet around to scrub the liner.

Keep an eye on the koi, you might have to move the extra aerator to lessen the stress.

Check out the water garden articles, and calculators links above article:
    An Introduction To Suspended Pond Algae And Blanket Weed String Algae

Garden Pond Algae Control

http://www.pond-doctor.co.uk/longbeneficial.htm
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KUXJ View Post

Keep an eye on the koi, you might have to move the extra aerator to lessen the stress.
    :eek::eek::eek: What do you mean:confused: I thought I was doing good,
    They said water circulation, now I can't find anything on that after reading everything new you sent me.

How can it stress them out? I can move it sround, but I didn't realize I needed to.

Nov 17, 2009, 05:34 PM
    You are doing good.
    My fault for not explaining clearly. :o

As you know Koi are social creatures, and notice any changes in their environment.
    If your addition of new aeration interferes with their normal travel patterns in the pond, they may become stressed, and a move of the aerator may be called for.

Koi hate change
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 05:47 PM
    OK, I moved it a little this afternoon, but it is actually just a flow of water under the surface and my Fish are not Koi, they are Comets, which I understood to be half Goldfish and half Koi. I had started with Koi and animals keep eating them, including a beautiful Blue Heron. So I bought 30.. 10 cent comets and let them grow.

I think my biggest one (Moby) is more Koi than the rest because he or she has grown the most quick and is about a foot long and really fat, but the rest are average size (6") to small (3 to 4 ") or maybe all the big ones got ate and these are the babies and Moby fought off the predetor:D

The water is already not as clear as it was yesterday, but the filter is picking up the stuff. I think I'm going to have to put the chicken wire back on soon because out temps have been in the 30's at night and I don't want the animals coming to feed.:eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a biological media fish pond filter(without mechanical media)keep a pond clean? [ 1 Answers ]

Does a biological media fish pond filter (without any mechanical media) really keep a fish pond clean? I know that they keep the water healthy but I am having trouble believing that it will filter out small enough particles to keep it really clean. I have one in mind to buy that has a built in...

How many koi fish to put in a pond? [ 5 Answers ]

SOMEONE HELP! I am getting a koi fish pond in New England I am having difficulty figuring out how many koi fish to put in the pond I have looked in the interent but there really isent any answer I don't want to overcrowd the fish but I also want to keep them from growng to big (about 6") The...

This is about Cancer Cure by Blue Algea [ 5 Answers ]

Can you please tell me significance of blue algea in curing Cancer

View more questions Search