Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 05:28 PM
    How to keep fish alive.
    I don't have a PH kit yet. The first fish I had, I had for almost a year. After he died, I bought another one that was electrocuted by my brother 15 days later when he cut the power to my room.

Today I bought 2 more Bettas. The first one I had was doing great before he died, and he didn't seem to have any problems with the water that he was in.

I want to make sure that I can keep these two alive. I really like them a lot. I wan tto make sure that they don't die. I made up the water today, I used tap with the water purifier that you put in there to balance the stuff in it. I made sure that the water was the right temperature and set them each free in their individual new tanks. (I bought a new tank for the second Betta)

So anyway, Until I get the kit to test the water, I want to make sure that they are fed properly and have the right water balance.

It would really be great if I could get a few tips from fish owners so that I can take the best care of my fish possible.

All your help will be greatly appreciated. :)
    Luv_a_bull098 Posts: 89, Reputation: 6

Nov 15, 2009, 06:08 PM

Betas actually need to be in a heated tank with a filter. They CAN survive with no filter or heater, but what a miserable existence to always be cold and live in your own filth.

You can always take your water sample into a pet store to have it tested. Water Testing kits are expensive. $20-$50 depending on what you all need and get.

Good for bettas are bloodworms. Helps with their colors and if they do get into a fight, helps with quick recovery. You can always use the blood worms as a treat and feed the Netta food for the main diet. Doesn't really matter.

If you do have water problems. Some select pet stores carry "beta water". Its packed with minerals and electrolytes to help your beta live a better life.
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 06:34 PM

I have a heater, but no filter, I clean it every 14 days.

I have tetra Betta food, they're the pellets. I was also thinking about getitng it brine shrimp or bloodworms. I need to get them soon.

I don't mind spending $20 to $25 on a water tester. But I do have the water purifier.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 15, 2009, 06:37 PM
    Are you floating the bag with the fish in the water for about 15 minutes before letting them go in the tank? This is an important process as it helps the fish to adjust to your particular water temp.
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 06:40 PM

I made sure that the temperature was the same when I made the water, and I put some of the old water in with the new so they adapted quicker.
    They're swimming around just fine right now. They even ate a little. I only put one pellet in each tank just so they know they have the option to eat. I wanted them to adapt more before eating more.
    Expert

Nov 15, 2009, 06:45 PM
    They still should be "floated." Even one degree difference can kill a sensitive fish. I have piranhas and even have to "float" my feeder fish before I release them.
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    They still should be "floated." Even one degree difference can kill a sensitive fish. I have piranhas and even have to "float" my feeder fish before I release them.
    I'll remember to do that next time I change the water. :)
    Expert

Nov 15, 2009, 07:17 PM
    You don't need to do it when you change the water... just when you buy the fish. Float the bag that you bring home in the water for about 15 minutes.

Well, yours is doing fine now, but remember this if there is a "next time."
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 07:18 PM

I certainly hope that there isn't a next time for a LONG time.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 07:44 PM

Ooooh yes, you MUST float them!
    I do it for 30 minutes just to be safe, if you just put the fish in they will go into shock.

And you need to get that test kit PRONTO!
    When we started up our old tank and put the new water in it was very very very alkaline.
    Expert

Nov 15, 2009, 07:47 PM
    Even with my feeder fish I use stress coat whenever I change the water. Make sure you have that as well.
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 08:15 PM

What is stress coat?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 08:50 PM

The PH test kit with chemicals is a must have.

A filter should be next on your list.
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 08:52 PM

I have one filter, but I didn't know how to set it up so I'm keeping it in the box until someone can help me. The instructions made no sense for me.

The PH test kit will come when my next pay check comes, just so I can make sure I have a decent amount of money before I spend more.
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 09:04 PM
    The first one, the black one with the white front fins, is Obsidian
    The silver one with the red fron fins is Avery

Edit: it took me a bajillion shots to get ones as good as these. They kept moving or it would be all grainy.
    Attached Images

Nov 15, 2009, 09:54 PM

I still don't think you need a test kit. Betta fish are extremely tough. You don't want to micro manage their water either. I know of several people who can't adjust the nitrate levels in their tanks because the fish are actually use to it being at a dangerous level. And remember... only 15% water changes every week for 3 weeks and then a 50% water change at the 4th week. Never take your fish out. Keep them in the tank.

If you want to ensure a healthy, happy fish then add a little bit of salt (fresh water salt, you can buy it at the pets store) to their water. It helps relieve stress if they are and gives them a little bit extra for their general health.

Brine shrimp aren't as packed with protein like the blood worms. Blood worms are key!

Shaz... Float a fish for 30 minutes? Wow... We didn't even go that long at the pet stores! 15 minutes top. Those air bags aren't guaranteed a 5 hr life span, especially if they're not filled with pure oxygen
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 09:56 PM

My fish came in a plastic container, not in a bag.

Nov 15, 2009, 09:59 PM

Well then I don't suppose you need to float your fish.

But like I said, Bettas are tough. It takes a lot to kill them

Good luck!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 10:05 PM

Is your filter a typical box filled with charcoal and wool at the top connected to an air pump?

Undergravel?

Outside tank?
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 10:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Is your filter a typical box filled with charcoal and wool at the top connected to an air pump?

Undergravel?

Outside tank?
    It's like this, but it didn't come with the plant. :(
    The box WAS opened when I got it. .
    Anyway, I didn't understand the set up, so I didn't use it.

PETCO 1 Gallon Corner Aquarium Kit at PETCO

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm Alive(?) [ 16 Answers ]

I was at a ski resort, and heard a song that was really good, in my opinion, that had the hook "I'm Alive" in it. The song had a sort of creppy-funk vibe. Sorry I can't give more info, but it's been awhile since I heard it, and it's driving me crazy. Thx in advance for any help.

Fish are dying. Again in fish tank. [ 3 Answers ]

Ph is high in this, the second try. All my fish died a few weeks ago, over night. Cleaned out tank and have introduced a few new fish. Now they have began to die. The ph is high, and I am trying to bring it down using peat moss this time. I have a coral rock in the tank. Could this be a problem...

Do you believe those that die are alive? [ 9 Answers ]

Today's Gospel lesson. From the New Jerusalem Bible. Luke 20: 27. Some Sadducees, those who argue that there is no resurrection, approached him and they put this question to him, 28. `Master, Moses prescribed for us, if a man's married brother dies childless, the man must marry the widow to...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

View more questions Search