Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbbrown18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 01:56 PM
    Alegrba Problem Please Help
    NEED SOME HELP!!

Suppose z = a + bi is a complex number, and w = x + yi is another complex number such that z +w is a real number and zw is also a real number. Show that w must be the conjugate of z. (Hint: A complex number is real if and only if its imaginarypart is 0; use this factto solve for x and y in terms of a and b.)

Thanks guys
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Nov 15, 2006, 12:07 PM
    start by expanding z+w and z*w in terms of a,b,x,y.

for z+w you'll have to collect like terms
    for z*w you'll have to perform the multiplication

the problem tells you that for both cases you'll end up with no I left

hopefully you know what "conjugate" means (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_conjugate) so you should already know the relationship between a,b,x,y based on that. That means you'll know what your answer should look like.

Start from there and ask questions as you have them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Playboy girlfirend problem.. Real problem [ 14 Answers ]

I have this new girlfriend.. that I really, really like (more than any other). She seems really nice... she was wearing everything of the "playboy" (earrings, bag, shirt, etc, etc) brand name / merchandise. I thought it was cute and a one time thing. Until I saw her bedroom.. It was 100%...

1995 Altima Idleing problem Knock & O2 sensor, EGR Flow Problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1995 Nissan Altima with 67,000 miles. When the car is idleing when I start it or when it is at a red light the rpm's go from 6000 to 9000. It sounds like I am reving the engine. The engine sounds fine when I am driving the car ( rpm's are consitent). I went to AutoZone the read out errors...

View more questions Search