Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dreamyeyez Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2009, 10:35 AM
    How do I deal with a hater
    I started this job a month ago, and there is this girl who always stares at me in a strange way... last night I stared back at her and she says something to her friend.. my intuition is telling me she does not like me for some reason but I have never done anything to anyone in this new offic or any office that matter.. how should I deal with this uncomfortable situation??
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamyeyez View Post
    how should i deal with this uncomfortable situation???
    Hello dreamyeyez:

Mind your own business and don't stare back. If they DO anything other than look at you, come back and ask again.

excon

Nov 15, 2009, 10:40 AM

OK.thanks
    xcarleex Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Nov 15, 2009, 11:10 AM

I would say the opposite,
    If it is making you feel that uncomfertable then confront her,
    She may not have a problem you could just be paranoid!
    At least then you know whether she has got a problem.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 10:35 AM

Ignore the personal drama at work, and keep your focus on your job.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Nov 21, 2009, 10:48 AM

Try and not stress it as long as she does not do anything to hurt you or your job position in any way.

In fact you might even try going a step farther and strike a friendly conversation. It might be all a misunderstanding. You said yourself you stared back. Perhaps she thinks you are the one giving her strange stares! Perhaps she may even be attracted to you if you do not know her sexual orientation. I would just try and not jump to any conclusions.
    lady01686 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2009, 11:18 PM

I agree with talaniman ignore the drama... just be the bigger person, be as nice to her as you would want her to be to you...
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Nov 21, 2009, 11:28 PM

.what ex said
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 12:29 AM
    Why don't you invite her to have a coffee with you? Surely friendship is preferable?

She may be short sighted and not even be able to see you. Or she may be able to see you and you had spinach between your teeth. Who knows?

Anyway what's the point of creating drama? Create friendship instead.
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Nov 22, 2009, 12:42 AM

People who are not friendly to others, especially when you are the one in a new and strange environment, an experience all humans have from time to time, you really need to ask yourself one question

Does this person know me?

Of course they don't, so they are being mean to you through some strange paranoid thought of their own

Basically in this stuation I would say, this person feels threatened by you, and as such has decided in their own weird way to show you this fear, instead of being mature and walking over and making you feel welcome

Just ignore them as the immature idiots they are

"An office is no longer a cave but it is no less inhospitable"

Nov 26, 2009, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the advice guys
    Klaipeda Posts: 203, Reputation: 2

Nov 28, 2009, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamyeyez View Post
    I started this job a month ago, and there is this girl who always stares at me in a strange way....last night i stared back at her and she says something to her friend..my intuition is telling me she does not like me for some reason but i have never done anything to anyone in this new offic or any office that matter..how should i deal with this uncomfortable situation???
    Can you talk to her? Maybe do not ask directly 'what is wrong with you honey?' but try to speak to her about small things and get an idea what she is up to. As small talk progresses she will relax and will open up sooner or later eventually for you to get an idea whay she behaves like that. Good luck!
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2009, 08:36 AM

The only way that you would know that she is staring at you is to look at her too. That, or have someone tell you. But what I would if I were you, is to ignore her in the most extreme way. I mean to treat her as she is invisible, not even there.

It bothers you only because you let it.

If she is doing something other than staring at you, like excon mentioned , come back and tell us.

Chances are that she is jealous of you for some reason.

The world is full of all types of people, and God knows that we can't all get along because of these differences.

Enjoy your new job, and carry on with dignity.

Make sure that you do not stoop down to her level.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2009, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    Make sure that you do not stoop down to her level.
    Hello again, d

I couldn't agree more with my friend jm.

There are some segments of society that view eye contact as an invitation for social interaction.. Others view it as a threat. To those that see it as a threat, you're not going to change their mind by being friendly. You only make yourself more vulnerable.

excon
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2009, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, d

I couldn't agree more with my friend jm.

There are some segments of society that view eye contact as an invitation for social interaction.. Others view it as a threat. To those that see it as a threat, you're not going to change their mind by being friendly. You only make yourself more vulnerable.

excon
    Yes, many animals do not like being stared at. I know my dog, Joe, doesn't like it at all. It makes him anxious, and nervous, I guess.

He very well may view it as threatening. The same with most humans. I feel the same way when someone gives me the "evil eye". It makes me want to ask them "what's up?"

But I don't, and just carry on. The fact is, that some people are crazy, and you don't want to confront them.

If you find yourself locking eyes with her, just give a little smile, and look away.

Just think to yourself, "Boy, I sure am glad I am the normal one".

Dec 27, 2009, 04:14 PM

Thanks guys for your advice

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to deal? [ 6 Answers ]

Recently things have not been going too well. My mother was just sent to jail, and I had to move back in with my dad. We don't get along too well either... I have been making an effort in school but my grades still are down the drain. The only way I know how to deal is through s.h What...

What's his deal? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been dating this guy for about two months now. He is not the problem... it is one of my close guy friends. I had a huge crush on my guy friend for probably about a year and he knew I liked him but never did anything about it and basically said he wasn't interested in a relationship. So that...

Littlest bush hater video! [ 10 Answers ]

Michelle Malkin » The littlest Bush-hater Sounds like terroristic threats to me! What are your thoughts?

View more questions Search