Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gigi1954 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Tenant in foreclosed property
    The house I am renting is in foreclosure. I had a lease agreement with the former owner that is still current. What are my rights as a tenant?
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Nov 8, 2006, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi1954
    the house I am renting is in foreclosure. I had a lease agreement with the former owner that is still current. What are my rights as a tenant?
    You need to determine WHERE the property is in the foreclosure process and determine if the owner is in a position to return any security deposit. Usually, a tenant in a foreclosed property does not get their deposit returned because the property owner has SPENT it already.
    dtbrealestate Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 11:14 AM
    NOT AN ATTORNEY AND THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE:
    Go to http://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2009/fil09056.html or http://www.nlihc.org/doc/701-704-Public-Law-111-22.pdf for information. This explains the new protection for tenants in foreclosure situations.

As for the security deposit, it depends on state laws as to how that is handled. A number of states require that it be held in a separate account if it is over $100 or a bond be secured against it. In either of these cases, you should be able to recover. If they did not follow the law, you can always sue them.

You are bound by your lease agreement to pay your rent. I would recommend getting an attorney.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 29, 2011, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dtbrealestate View Post
    Go to FDIC: FIL-56-2009: Public Law or http://www.nlihc.org/doc/701-704-Public-Law-111-22.pdf for information. This explains the new protection for tenants in foreclosure situations. ...
    Bad link. Try this.

It seems to give tenants such as OP the right to a 90-day notice to quit, after foreclosure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Tenant evicting another tenant [ 2 Answers ]

The Lease is in my name and my husband is listed as a tenant, how do I get him out? Will I have to evict him? If so, how do I go about this, there really isn't a lot of information on one tentant evicting another tenant. Please help.:confused:

Removing Tenant From Property [ 1 Answers ]

If I want to remove a tenant that has not paid rent in 2 months and coming up on the third month of nonpayment. This is in the State Of Georgia, Gwinett County? Can I just give him a direct notice or letter from my attorney? What is the law, how so I quote that law? Where can I find the...

Tenant [ 2 Answers ]

Does landlord have to actually give you 30 days for eviction or is it automatic?

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

View more questions Search