Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 07:57 AM
    When is it time to cash in your chips?
    Hello:

Speaking of death panels...

I have no stake in living for a long time, just for the sake of living a long time. Certainly, even healthy people will face a time when their quality of life has diminished to the point where they're dependent on others, and it ain't going to get better.

I live in a state where I have some choices. Most of you don't. Consequently, the law requires you to live as long as you can, no matter how much it hurts, no matter that you won't get well, and no matter the pain and the cost to your family.

Should that decision be yours? If it should be, when should you exercise it?

To my religious friends, if your objection is based on that, just say so. You don't have to quote verse to me. I, myself, don't happen to hold a moral or religious position that would prevent me from making that decision for myself. And, when my time comes, I probably will.

Don't worry. My time ain't close.

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 15, 2009, 08:08 AM

Decision will be mine, and I am going to exercise it when I no longer want to be a burden to any one I hold dearest. A lot can be said for Do Not Resuscitate Orders, which most people do not understand and loved ones won't consider because they are too selfish.

Tick
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Nov 15, 2009, 10:18 AM
    I'm glad your state is enlightened con.

I see this as a no-brainer. If you are living such a poor quality of life, and there is no hope for recover, and all you will face is pain and anguish, then indeed, it should be your call to cash in.

It is sad to read stories of people who have to spend their life savings to travel to Europe, to have assisted suicide.

While I think there are more compassionate Doctors who will bend the rules somewhat, the importance of a no resussitation order, if it is legally done through a lawyer, is not something anybody, even family members, can change. That is the way to go, ahead of time, to make sure you have control over extreme medical proceedures that will keep you alive when hope is lost.

p.s. We get a kick out of the American media here in Canada, saying we have 'death panels', which of course is as ridiculous as it gets.
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 10:29 AM

Greeting to my friends from the great white north:

I'm talking about few steps before I find myself on a ventilator. I don't know HOW many steps, though. That's why I'm asking.

excon
    Expert

Nov 15, 2009, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post

While I think there are more compassionate Doctors who will bend the rules somewhat, the importance of a no resussitation order, if it is legally done through a lawyer, is not something anybody, even family members, can change.

Hi Jake, actually the DNR is discussed ahead of time with the family member, it is a family decision and a lawyer need not be consulted in this case. Usually a loved one entering a nursing home will have the DNR in place and on file there; an RN can have this initiated. It is very difficult when a terminally ill person goes in hospital and there isn't one in place. That means, they will be rescuscitated many times which I strongly believe is an invasion of privacy when nothing else can be done. They fade, linger from numerous CPR measures unless there is a DNR. Now state of the art hospitals have palliative wings where very ill, ready to depart patients can be made as comfortable as possible with a DNR in place.

Tick
    Emotional Health Expert

Nov 15, 2009, 11:02 AM
    I just this past summer, got a will, and included the medical alternate caregiver, to legally be able to make decisions according to my wishes. When the time comes, my legally stated and executted wishes have to be upheld. My sisters and friends are aware of who that person is, and that she is responsible for making sure that the DNR sticks.

The last thing I want to face on my deathbed are people arguing over whether to pull the plug and let me go.

When my mother was dying, my sisters and I argued over when the time comes, what are we going to do, allow DNR? Well, the time came, and we could still not decide, and luckily for me the Doctor agreed, and she was disconnected from the machines that were keeping her alive, and given a massive dose of morphine for pain, and then she simply died. I regret not moving quicker to save her continued grief while we all argued beside her bed.

I wish she had had her wishes clearly stated legally, and that we knew what they were.
    Expert

Nov 15, 2009, 11:13 AM

I haven't done my will yet, maybe should soon. My son knows my wishes are cremation and ashes scattered and where. It will be hard for him, he loves me to pieces, but because he does it should carry him through with no regrets. I think its regrets, real or imagined, that do us in at the end. While you are alive, you should make sure there aren't any real ones.

All the best to you Jake, you are a smart lady.

Tick
    Emotional Health Expert

Nov 15, 2009, 11:16 AM
    Thanks Tickle, I think you're pretty smart yourself. I hope both you and excon are around a long, long, long time yet.

Although I think that when we do go, Con will insist on dancing on the clouds. ;)
    MrEasy Posts: 112, Reputation: 17

Nov 16, 2009, 06:33 PM

My job involves helping people with advanced planning and one thing I advise people to do is complete a Living Will with Advance Directive and Medical Power of Attorney. These forms are usually available at most hospitals or you can find them online. I always recommend that they have them notarized instead of witnessed and provide a copy for each of their doctors and one for the local hospital. A copy of the Medical POA is given to the primary and secondary appointees in the event they are called upon.
    Tickle touched on another subject which should be handled ahead of time and that is having funeral pre-arrangements made, written out and placed on file with the funeral home you would prefer to have handle your funeral. This way family members don't have to go through the anguish of making them at one of worst moments of their life. Especially important if there are family members who tend to disagree on most everything.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2009, 07:04 PM

Most states , at least in the US have the DNR choices, I for one have one in place that I can not be on machines for pure life support for any extended period.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2009, 11:30 PM

Hello:

My arrangements are made. Going to be cremated and my son is going to snort my ashes.

excon
    Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 06:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

My arrangements are made. Gonna be cremated and my son is gonna snort my ashes.

excon
    In that case, ex, I hope you go out in style in a really elaborate bong.

Tick
    Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 06:12 AM
    Greeting to my friends from the great white north:

I'm talking about few steps before I find myself on a ventilator. I dunno HOW many steps, though. That's why I'm asking.

excon
    You don't want to find yourself on a ventilator, ex, hooked up to intravenous. No one knows how many steps, if I am reading that correctly. Get a 'do not rescusitate order' in your living will and this won't happen.

It is only human nature to consider this though. I hope that you will stick around here for a very long time. I would miss your words of wisdom. :rolleyes:

Tick
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2009, 11:10 AM
    Hello:

My arrangements are made. Gonna be cremated and my son is gonna snort my ashes.

excon
    Your son's going to be high for years to come. Good thinking there, Exie. At least your legacy will be "fun" while it lasts.
    AskTheKitty Posts: 24, Reputation: 10

Jun 21, 2010, 03:21 PM

Hello, I'm in the PNW and in a state that respects our choices when it comes to end of life decisions.

The decision should be yours and yours alone. While you're thinking about it right now, it's a good idea to have your wishes down in writing, so what happened to poor Terri Schaivo doesn't happen to you.

None of us ever expect to be in that situation, but if we ever are, it's better for our loved ones to have our wishes clearly spelled out so we never have to worry about lingering between life and death while our family members fight against a government who wants us kept alive no matter what our physical condition is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Draw a time line that shows when net cash flows and outflows will occur, and explain [ 1 Answers ]

Draw a time line that shows when net cash flows and outflows will occur, and explain how the time line can be used to help structure the analysis

View more questions Search