Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tijhbell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 12:15 PM
    Fica-ss & mm
    Can an employer elect not to withhold fica-ss & mm if the employer provides a retirement account for its employees and those employees participate?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 8, 2006, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tijhbell
    can an employer elect not to withhold fica-ss & mm if the employer provides a retirement account for its employees and those employees participate?
    I don't think so, unless the employer is say a church and the employee is a minister, it's a one time, no going back type option for ministers, once they elect not to have fica withheld, I don't think they can later opt into the social security system and they are on their own when it comes to retirement or death or disabilty. Some municipalities, fire fighting districts and similar entities can elect not to participate in the soc security system and thus their employees don't have fica, ss withheld. Anyone out their wish to correct me or add something please do so.
    tijhbell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 08:41 AM
    Thanks. I think that you are right; after posting, I did some research about it; be blessed.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1, opt and fica tax [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question about the Social Secuirty and Medicare Taxes. I came to US As a F1 student in sep. 2000. I began my OPT in July, 2005. And my H1b started at Jan. 1, 2006. Since I was a F1-Student in the whole year of 2005. Neither my university, nor my current company deducted these two types of...

FICA 5 years tenure [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been in USA since Dec '01. After my graduation in May '06, I started working on OPT. My company is deducting the FICA taxes, but I think it should not be deducted since my 5 years tax-free tenure in USA is not over yet until Dec '06. Please advice... Thanks

Fica and h1-b [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, After finishing graduate school on May 2005, I have started working on August 2005 as full-time. I had my OPT and my H1-B approval (that allows me work starting from Oct 05) came later (around August). Sometime in Oct, I emailed our payroll department and asked about why I have been paying...

Fica tax on opt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Right now I am on OPT(started on Jan1st,2006) and am working for an university. I noticed that on my payroll I have been charged for FICA. When I called up our university tax office, their explanation was that since I am here in the US for more than 5 years-they considered me as a Resident....

J1 Fica [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am on a J1 since Nov 2003. For 2003, I filed Non-resident alien and for 2004 I filed Resident alien taxes. But the whole of 2005, my Employer deducted FICA from my paycheck. In Sep 2005 I changed the Employer who will give me a 5 year J1. They don't deduct my FICA but only the Federal &...

View more questions Search