Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bensonbarker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2009, 04:24 AM
    A past debt
    Is there a time frame that someone can come after you for a debt in uk law ? Thanks
    Alfama Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Nov 14, 2009, 04:44 AM

Hi BB, If the debt is older than six years, and if you haven't had contact with a DCA or the OC within the six years, then the debt becomes statued barred. Alfama
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2009, 04:50 AM

Generally a debt never expires. And a creditor can dun you until its paid. But there is a Statute of Limitations that may limit the legal tools they can use to collect.

According to this site (Law relating to debts: statute-barred debts) its six years.

You may also find this site (Debt Factsheets - Liability for Debts and the Limitation Act)

And, finally, this site (Creditor Harassment In The United Kingdom (UK)) tells you what limits the creditor has for dunning you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Past debt over 10 years I believe I paid. [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a settlement offer for $46.90. A phone bill from over ten years ago. This is the first time ever in over ten years anyone has ever tried to contact me. I am 98% sure I paid this bill. But of course, I have no records to prove it. What do I do? I reside in NY. Thank You.

Served for past debt in Texas [ 5 Answers ]

I have just been served by a constable papers stating I am being sued by Capital One for a past debt in the amount of $2500.00. I admit, this is my debt. I went through some very difficult times, including pay-cuts, medical bills for both myself and grandson, (pay bill or continue to see my...

Summons to appear for past cc debt [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I received a summons last Wed. (9-5-07) that has me scheduled to report to a pretrial conference on Mon (9-10-07). The collection agency is suing over a debt they purchased from one of my old credit cards. The last payment that was made on the card was 1-5-02. The Florida statute of limitations...

Past SOL expiration cc debt [ 8 Answers ]

Good Morning, My question has to do with SOL expired credit card debt. I have not received anything in the mail (have had a few states of residence), only phone call messages. There is never anyone on the other end when I answer, they are just leaving messages every day. 1) Is it likely or...

View more questions Search