Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shayleen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2009, 09:05 PM
    My budgie laid eggs on the cage floor now what?
    My budgie laid eggs when we had not intended to have baby budgies! (We just moved!)I don't want to disturb them but now what? Im afraid to disturb her and the eggs as she tends to hide them quite well when she doesn't have them out sunning? Should I put a nest in the cage and move them? My brother tried to be nice and put a box in the cage for them when there was only one egg (that we knew of!) She then proceeded to smash the egg he put in the box! She seems to care for the remaining two eggs quite well! Should I just let them be?
    Luv_a_bull098 Posts: 89, Reputation: 6

Nov 15, 2009, 12:31 AM

Don't move them. Caged birds lay their eggs in strange places because they themselves probably weren't raised in a nest. Touching baby birds and eggs only prevent the parents from taking care of them. You're probably going to get a funky cage because any type of disturbance has the ability to cause the parents to abandon their eggs.

You have already witnessed what will happen if you move her eggs. If you want to have baby birds, then leave them alone... and with that, you won't be able to clean the cage until those babies are old enough to eat on their own.

Next time around, put the nesting box in right away along with some nesting material and try and entice your birds to nest instead of lay their eggs in a dangerous place.

I wish you luck!
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 12:34 AM

I don't have any advice to offer, but this question is so adorable.

I had budgies and I always wanted them to have babies.

Take pictures :)

Sarah
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 16, 2009, 06:42 PM

Don't touch the eggs.

Just leave them, momma will know what to do. The eggs may well be duds. Just keep an eye out.

For future you may want to invest in a nest, but for now, just leave the eggs be.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Change in weight of bird-cage when the bird is flying inside the cage? [ 2 Answers ]

Q1. What kind of Change would be observed in the weight of bird-cage, weighed by a spring balance 1. when the bird is sitting inside the cage 2. when the bird is flying inside the cage? WHY? Q2. A 1.0 gm. Seed is sown on the earth after few years it becomes one of the biggest trees in the...

A hen laid eggs in my backyard. What can I do? [ 4 Answers ]

It turns out that a neighbor's hen keeps jumping over the fence into our backyard and this time it laid some eggs. When she left we collected them. Now it's back and laid some more but it won't move out of the way. It's been three days of sitting on them. Is it too late to collect them? If...

Tile floor laid/pvc pipe higher [ 3 Answers ]

Removed old leaker toilet, all tile backer and subfloor. Replaced sub, backer and tile and got fairly close to the flanged, black pvc coming up through. It's slightly higher than the tile, but too big to get a closet flange over it to attach to the subfloor by drilling through tile and backer....

I can't feed my budgie by hand and he won't come out of his cage [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I've had my budgie, sebastian, for around 4 months now. I have made it hand tame but I have never taught it to take food from my hand. I have tried it a couple of times but he always backs away and seems to be frightened. My problem is that he doesn't like to come out of his cage. I can...

Budgie cage gone bad [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking for advice on how to clean a budgie cage that hasn't been cleaned in a long long while. The budgie is still in it! It is for a friend and I haven't cleaned out a cage before so need the real basics! Thanks

View more questions Search