Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    princessmom13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2009, 07:49 PM
    How do I find the values of bonds?
    The values of outstanding bonds change whenever the going rate of interest changes. In
    general, short-term interest rates are more volatile than long-term interest rates. Therefore,
    short-term bond prices are more sensitive to interest rate changes than are long-term bond
    prices. Is that statement true or false? Explain. (Hint: Make up a “reasonable” example
    based on a 1-year and a 20-year bond to help answer the question.)
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2009, 10:10 PM

The answer is true!

You can find what the value of BONDS are
    by checking at your nearest Stock Exchange.
    You can always ring a broker for this information.
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Nov 14, 2009, 07:12 AM
    Princessmom, it's true that there's more volatility in short-term rates. But follow your question's "hint" advice to see why longer-dated cash flows are more sensitive to rate movements.

Use a very simple situation involving single cash flows: One maturing in 1 year, and the other occurring in 20 years. (These would correspond to zero-coupon bonds of 1-year and 20-year maturities, respectively.)

Price both of those instruments using any discount rate you like. Now tweak that discount rate and see which bond's price shows the bigger jump. Alternatively, you'd find that in order to make the short-term's price move by as much as the long-term bond's, you'll have to adjust the short-term rate a lot more than the amount of discount-rate adjustment you applied to the long.

While this effect is most pronounced in zero-coupon bonds, the same effect holds true for coupon-paying bonds, as well. The presence of the interim cash flows doesn't negate the effect, it only softens it very slightly. Again, do what the "hint" suggests and you'll see this easily.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find the default risk premium given corporate and municipal bonds? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find the default risk premium given corporate and municipal bonds? Meaning what is the equation I should use?

How to calculate bonds and find issue price [ 1 Answers ]

Bond Issue: On January 1, 20x8, Xeraz Corporation issued $1,000,000 5 year bond dated Jan 1, 20x8 with interest payable on July 1 and Jan 1.  The bonds had a face interest rate of 5%.  The effective interest rate in the market is 8%. The company fiscal year end is December 31, 2008. question:...

Find exact values of a trig function [ 1 Answers ]

Here we go, Find sin2a, cos2a, and tan2a given tan(theta)= -24/7. OK, I know sin2a=2sin a cos a and tan x=sin x/cos x, and tan also =y/x. Knowing that the first thing I did was r=sqrt of -24^2+7^2 which =625. 625 is going to be my denominators for sin2a and cos2a. If possible can someone show me...

How to find unique values in an entire column [ 10 Answers ]

hi all please tell me how can I findout the unique values in an entire coloumn. for example I have 3 coloumn in an sheet. Name Prod. Value a 24 100 b 26 240 a 33 120 a 21 200

View more questions Search