Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Nov 13, 2009, 10:50 AM
    Fire Alarm Inspection - Apartment WA State
    Hey everyone!

I have a friend who lives in a new apartment building in Samamish, WA (less than 2 years old, they're really nice) and their apartment managers have inspected their fire alarms inside of their apartment 3 times since they moved in 9 months ago. Is this normal to inspect it this much, and what is the rule of inspecting them?

Hope someone can help! Thanks!

Shawna
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2009, 12:17 PM

Even though this regulation is in Canada, I doubt it matters. Maintenance Of Smoke Alarms

In a commercial building in the US we did a full fire alarm test once per year.

My guess, is that they be trying to figure out what interval to clean them. If they smoke, then they will have to be cleaned more frequently.

They also may have had some false alarms and are trying to be more pro-active.

In any case, it looks like the consenses is per mfr's recommendations, and probably at least once a yaar and when tennants change.

I can't offer any references to specific laws.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 05:33 AM

Hello R:

The lease and state landlord/tenant law give the landlord the right to inspect his premises with 24 hour notice. It doesn't matter WHY he's inspecting. If he doesn't give notice, I wouldn't let him in.

IF, however, it gets out of hand, I'd (1) ask him what he needs to see all the time, and/or (2) ask him if he's looking for something else...

IF, you don't like his answers, or if his inspections make you feel uncomfortable, write him a certified letter telling him that his unwarranted inspections of your home are a breach of the lease, and if he does not stop, you'll be vacating.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fire Alarm System [ 6 Answers ]

Tell me the fire alarm system deisgn guide for me

Smoke / Fire Alarm in Kitchen [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. One of the smartest things I did in my addition / remodel project was to install hardwired, interconnected smoke / CO detectors throughout the house. One of the dumbest things I did was put one in my kitchen. Naturally it goes off anytime the oven is used. If I move the kitchen (1st...

Fire alarm [ 7 Answers ]

What is the principle difference between class A and class B fire alarm wiring

Fire Alarm [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About 3 days ago, a new fire alarm was installed in my condo unit. In the process, the technician turned off the breaker for the central AC unit. Yesterday I decided to turn on my air conditioner (the breaker was still off). I noticed that the guy turned off the breaker while the AC was...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search