Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dws21396 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 09:50 AM
    401 (a) Plans
    Are there folks out there who have had experience with 401 (a) plans? I'm a trustee and wonder if a 401 (a) wouldn't be better than a 401 (k).

Thank you.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 8, 2006, 08:39 PM
    I have never heard of a 401(a), only 401(k's) for private for profit type companies and 403(b's) for employes of non profits. Can you shed shed some light on what kind of company, entity can adopt a 401(a) if there is such an animal.
    dws21396 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 08:13 AM
    I've been told that some employers offer a 401(a) plan. I hadn't heard of them before either. I've done a Google search and haven't been able to get very much information about this type of DC plan. I'm interested in user comments about the benefits of this type of plan compred to a 401(k).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 9, 2006, 08:24 AM
    A 401(a) is a stock bonus, pension, or profit-sharing plan. Generally, in a 401(a), the company makes the contributions to the plan, though some can have employee contributions. Usually these plans allow for employee ownership via investment in company stock.

A 401(k) is much more flexible for employees hence its much greater popularity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are your plans [ 26 Answers ]

She: what are your plans for this evening? Him: I plan to go to the store and pu one item. She: OK, I will talk to you later. Him: OK, talk to you later. Later... She: did you go to the store? Him: nope She: oh if I would have know that I would have invited you over for dinner. Him: why...

No plans Friday night [ 11 Answers ]

Thursday morning my girlfriend tells me she forgot to tell me about her company picnic this Friday. For employees only. Basically gets to go to a park for the whole afternoon. No work just hang outside all afternoon and play games, eat and just socialize. Later in the afternoon my girlfriend...

We had plans but not now [ 17 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have plans once a week every week. Or, go out together you know alone time. So, my girlfriend calls me. Said her girlfriend has two tickets to concert tonight on our date night. My girlfriend is invited and she wants to go so she tells me she is going and if I'm OK with that....

View more questions Search