Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smbusch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2009, 04:31 PM
    Our water heater is throwing our breaker
    We just installed new thermostats on our electric water heater, but the breaker keeps throwing, My question is at the breaker box, is the black wire on top or bottom when hooking up a new breaker, and at the water heater is the black wire on the left or right on the thermostat? My wire colors are white and black.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2009, 05:44 PM
    Does not matter when using 240 volts which wire is which, technically the white needs to be relabeled as hot in the latest code, to indicate both are hot.

Disconnect the feed wires at the heater, cap, and reset the CB,if it trips the short is in the feeder, if reconnecting trips the CB the short is in the heater, and if nothing is obvious, like a cut wire digging into metal, or a short at the connection, must be a miswire. For that a wiring diagram is needed to find the improper connection.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2009, 07:20 PM
    Does the breaker trip instantly, or does it trip after a few seconds? A short will trip it instantly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water heater circuit breaker [ 4 Answers ]

I have a State Select hot water heater and the circuit breaker keeps popping I can reset it and it works for about a day, any idea what may be causing the issue

Water heater keeps popping 30 amp breaker [ 3 Answers ]

30 amp breaker for my water heater keeps popping. Replaced both elements in the water heater tonight. When power was returned, the breaker lasted about a minute and then popped. Repeated several times with the same result. Breaker appears to heat up. Should I look at the breaker or the...

Wiring new water heater to breaker box [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new 240v single phase water heater with a two wire connection(red and black). I have a 30amp two-pole breaker, and I need to know if 12-2 Romex is sufficient or do I need to up the size to 10-2 ?

Hot Water Heater Blowing breaker [ 1 Answers ]

My 4 month old hot water heater decided to stop working. I went to check it out and found that it had blown the breaker because water had apparently leaked into the wires on the top of the heater and hence blew the breaker. My question is this- Is the hot water heater shot or is it fixable.

Breaker keeps kicking out on water heater [ 4 Answers ]

We recently had our main water line replaced. Since then our water heater starting leaking at the overflow pipe. We changed out the prv and the leak stopped but now the breaker keeps kicking out when we try to heat the water. Our tank is about 3 years old and the we have the temperature set about...

View more questions Search