Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragonflame17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2009, 09:47 AM
    I had no lease.I moved out and now the owner is trying to get me to pay him.
    I lived in a "friends" apartment complex (4 units) in Minnesota for about 2 years. I asked the owner to transfer the electric bill into my name, after months of not receiving it. It was attached to his so he was paying it... he paid for like 10 months, and over that 10 months I repetely tried to get him to let me know how much it was so I could pay him for it, he never did... I chose to move out after several months of not paying rent because of a employment situation. And now he wants me to pay the back rent (which I am willing to pay) and the electric (which I am not). What does Minnesota law say about this... can he take me to court, and if he does how does he prove that I should pay for the electric and the rent without a formal lease. He doesn't even have any info besides my name and address.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2009, 10:16 AM

Hello d:

It's not as black and white as you may think.

First off, he CAN sue you. Even if he DIDN'T have your address, he could serve you by publication... Would he win? I don't know. In the absence of written proof, it depends on whether the judge believes him or you.

But, beyond all that, even if he wins a judgment, if he can't find your bank accounts or where you work, he can't collect. Course, you're not going to be able to have a bank account for 20 years, or a job either...

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Get out of lease signed but not moved in yet [ 4 Answers ]

The situation is my son signed a lease to move into an apartment starting July 1. a week ago he informed by motor vehicles dept. that he is now being held responsible for a 13,000 debt his father did not pay due to a lawsuit.(My son was a minor driving his father's car, not knowing car was not...

No lease when I moved in [ 2 Answers ]

If I move in to an apartment without a lease how do I prove I live in the apartment if the landlord tries to kick me out I just don't trust my new landlord

No lease signed but moved in already, how do I get out [ 1 Answers ]

I was going to rent a appt on my home, the person stated they will fix up apt first, after 30 days no lease signed yet, he started to bring clothing an food in house and starting to Live in house, he is not willing to agree to the rent, and no lease signed. Can I change locks ? How do I get out...

Signed lease have not moved in [ 2 Answers ]

I have signed a lease to move in in July now I decided I didn't want to move after all I already gave my deposit and 1st months rent is there anyway to get out of this? Thanks jodi

How do I get another person's name off my lease since he moved out? [ 1 Answers ]

I am renting a house with a years lease signed by me and my boyfriend at the time.He moved out and keeps ond breaking in and taking my and my kids things.The police will not do anything about it because he is still on the lease.Also at the time we singed the lease the landlords did not sign it so...

View more questions Search