Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    McFarland Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2009, 05:25 AM
    Complete Lack of or hidden plumbing vent. Older home in city limits.
    I live in southern Minnesota and own my own house. The house was built in 1922, on what used to be a refuse site, and we cannot find any plumbing vents. All pipes are visible from the basement. The main pipe goes straight down under our toilet, while the bathroom sink and tub both branch in right below it. Our kitchen sink has its own pipe that goes straight down into the basement floor. When we drain the tub, the toilet bubbles and the kitchen sink barely drains. I've searched the attic, siding, and eventually found a large pipe coming out of the ground along out property line with a cap welded on the end of it. Could this be our vent? Will adding a vent stack help with toilet suction and the bubbling issue? As far as I can tell, most of our plumbing must be under the cement in our basement. There is the big main pipe, going into the cement, and the smaller kitchen pipe going into the cement. There are also 2 floor drains in the basement, one has a block of wood glued into it for some reason. We've has a couple occasions where sewage water will come up from the floor drains, but only when there is excessive rain or when they drained the water tower. Any advice is appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 12, 2009, 07:59 AM
    Do your kitchen and lavatory traps look like this?(see image) Let me know, Tom

Nov 12, 2009, 08:22 AM
    Correct
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 12, 2009, 05:51 PM
    Your home has "S" traps throughout. No vents. Back in Wisconsin we had lots of homes that werm't vented. That's how we plumbed them back then. If any drain runs slow oe is cliged ypu must5 remove the bend of the trap and snake the drain from there. Good luck, Tom

Nov 12, 2009, 10:40 PM
    Thanks a lot!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older house with NO STACK VENT [ 12 Answers ]

Hi everyone - we are doing a rehab of a foreclosure house - a single-story rancher style. - the house was built in 1955, it has one bathroom upstairs, and a weird "half-bath" in the basement. Copper supply lines, cast-iron drain/soil lines. (Bell & spigot? Do I remember that correctly? You pros...

Plumbing/drainage in older home [ 1 Answers ]

Hello -- our 50-year old Cape Cod with well and septic is experiencing some drainage/plumbing issues and we would just like to know which expert to all in. We don't want to waste a call (and fee) if we are incorrect in our analysis. We have had our septic pumped out within the last 8 years, so we...

Complete plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

Considering purchasing a beautiful old home (1910) that's in foreclosure. The problem is it has NO pipeing, all the copper has been stripped clean. Apparently thieves made away with all of it. This is a 3 br , 2 1/2 bath home, also the furnace is "red tagged" (not sure what this means). ...

Hidden treasure, in the basement of childhood home. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a beautiful piece of art that is labeled and signed by the artist, that I would love to know the history about. It is a beautiful watercolor drawing done in muted colors of orange, green, and browns and beiges. The signature and label are in pencil and very distinct. The Artist's name...

City mouse has country plumbing :( [ 8 Answers ]

Help! I rented a rural home (a first). We find when we flush he toilet with any solids... the solids don't flush! :eek: The toilet isn't blocked... but doesn't seem to have the power to pull the solids down. Instead... contents seem to 'spin'... then settle again. :( We're on well water,...

View more questions Search