Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sandra lala Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 04:58 PM
    Is it or is it not a diamond?
    Was strolling outside and saw a shiny object in the soil. Bent down to find a earring,probably lost by the former tenants and it being a earring and looking like a diamond,how can I tell if it's the real thing? How about size and worth?
    Thank you!
    Sandra lala
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 05:11 PM

Ask the tenant. Did she leave a forwarding address? She might like it back.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 11, 2009, 07:06 PM

Some folks would say to rub it hard on a glass window, if its adiamond it will scratch the glass. While this is true it can also damage the doamond. Take it to a jewelry story for an appraisal.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Nov 28, 2009, 11:29 AM

Take it to a jewelers. They can test and tell you if it's a diamond in within a minute or two.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2010, 06:02 AM

If it doesn't flouresce when exposed to long/shortwave ultraviolet light, it is not a diamond.
    Just because it does, doesn't mean it is.
    I have found CZ's to flouresce in orange, as do diamonds.
    The Tiffany diamond floureses in yellow, the Hope diamond a blue.
    I seen diamonds from a Old Spanish Galleon flourese in Green.
    Pawn Shop or Jewler can Test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight? [ 11 Answers ]

Which dioamond ring should I buy a solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight?

Which diamond ring should I buy? [ 3 Answers ]

Which dioamond ring should I buy a solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight?

Which Diamond Is Better? [ 4 Answers ]

My grandmother died 12 years ago, and left behind 2 diamonds for me for an engagement ring, both worth around $3000. I'm her grandson, and I'm almost ready to propose. I only want one diamond, and I want to give the other to my family to sell for money, but I don't know which one to choose for...

Is it a diamond? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm wondering about another piece of jewelry it's a garage sale find about a half inch across set in a mirrored silver setting and cut like an emerald or a prism. How long has cubic zirconia been around? This is from the 30's or 1940's. I was able to make a big scratch on a pane of glass with it...

View more questions Search