Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebbclean Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2009, 08:53 PM

Hi Mr. Stringer, How are you today? My name is Bryan from EBB cleaning services. I'm here to offer you our Janitorial Service and I would like to make a proposal for your business (restaurant/Office) for you to keep on file.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2009, 12:36 AM
    Hi again, ebbclean!

How about, "Hi, mister (name). My name is Bryan. How are you, today? I'd appreciate an opportunity to show you how we might be of service to you with taking care of your cleaning needs. We offer competive prices and a variety of services. We'll also beat any price that you're currently paying for cleaning services. Would you please be willing to discuss how we might be of service to you? It's entirely up to you."

Just a thought...

Thanks!
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Nov 26, 2009, 03:11 AM

Morning all

No offence clough, but you are asking too many yes or no statements in your post, this could lead the customer to say no on any of the points

Ebb, your post is for me almost perfect

Apart from the how are you today question, the rest is spot on

How are you, I think is an american trait so you will have to judge whether you need to say this or not

In England though we don't say this, especially out selling as it can lead the conversation straight down the road of awkwardness
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Nov 27, 2009, 11:10 AM

My apologies, this being a holiday weekend and being extremely busy with having family over for Thanksgiving dinner and now other family obligations, I haven't had time to respond properly.

Ebb, this weekend I should be able to get back to this, I am sorry my friend.

I think what I would like to do with this exorcise is to first give you an interview outline which will first give you an overview and let you see how it can/should progress. There is a lot of excellent information that has been gleaned over the years that has proven to be very helpful. However Phlanx is correct in that no matter what outline you may follow or what actual words you may use it must be adjusted to your own personality to make it comfortable for you.

Knowledge and experience breed confidence. And confidence in yourself and what you do is vital.

Stringer

Nov 28, 2009, 09:56 AM

What's going on now?

Stringer, still waiting for you
    Business Expert

Nov 28, 2009, 10:34 AM

It has been an extremely busy holiday weekend ebb. Please hang in there through these next couple days, I don't want to just throw out something quickly. In the meantime, here is some reading that will move you forward some: Although some of this may be a little controversial, there are some good points.

Cold Calling Techniques: That Really ... - Google Books

Stringer

Dec 6, 2009, 04:53 PM

Hello,

Just want to ask if anyone on here can tell me how to strip and wax or better if you know a video that can show me how.

Because I have a client that need their flooring to strip and wax with 3 coat.. no machine buffing require
    Business Expert

Dec 6, 2009, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbclean View Post
    Hello,

Just want to ask if anyone on here can tell me how to strip and wax or better if you know a video that can show me how.

because i have a client that need their flooring to strip and wax with 3 coat.. no machine buffing require
    Ebb, someone here could probably tell you, but that will not teach you how to do it properly.

Are you buying your supplies from a janitorial supplier? (Saves you money and builds a rapport that will help you with their advice). If so, they usually have scheduled classes that actually let you do the stripping and re-coating; on hand experience. Which, in my humble opinion, IS the only way to actually get a 'feel' for the machine and what needs to be done properly such as the proper dry time between the coats of finish. I am sure that they also have vids from manufacturers also.

EDIT: If you are not involved or purchasing from a distributor Ebb, I would make contact right away. Most offer many things and programs other than just selling equipment and supplies.

Stringer

Dec 6, 2009, 07:12 PM

They said they will provide the chemical etc. they just need our labour for it. So wondering if anyone here can teach me how to do it.

I've done it once but it was long long time ago and I forgot the whole procedure. So please if anyone can help me would really appreciate it

And also how much do you charges for this?
    Business Expert

Dec 6, 2009, 09:03 PM

Ok, first the amount of old wax on the floor is a factor. If there is 3,4,5 coats (layers) it will take more work to strip the floor. I am as summing this is conventional VCT (vinyl) flooring Ebb, is that correct? Use a 'stripper pad' and change it when necessary.

After you strip the floor of ALL old finish, mop the floor until it is dry and inspect it closely to be sure that it is clean, even the corners..

Apply one layer of wax (using a CLEAN finish mop) evenly over about 200 to 300 square feet (using a back and forth motion) then move to another area and strip it. Once the first area is completely dry (important) apply a second coat, let dry and then apply a third coat. In most cases 3 coats are standard, high usage areas could require four. BUT after each coat it must be dry before applying the next coat of finish. When applying the wax, put it down in a semi thin layer (watch for bubbling, do over if it does) do not put a thick layer as 'waving' will occur and you will have to strip and do it all over again.

When ANY stripper or wax gets on the baseboards, doors or any where it does not belong clean it immediately. If it dries it will show and look terrible, and removing it is a b*t*h, you will have to use stripper again to get it off. Also (very, very important) do not let even one drop get on the carpets especially the stripper, it will ruin it and you will have to pay to have it fixed or replaced. Tape all areas near the doors on the floors where you do not want to stripper or wax to go. Do not set the pad or the machine on the carpets... fair warning...

The reason that I wanted you to train is that using the stripper machine is tricky and you have to get a feel for it or you will burn the VCT if you leave it in one spot too long. Turn it off when you are distracted and tilt the machine up. Also I have seen new people let the pad grab the floor and put the machine through the wall... This takes experience not only in handling the machine BUT in having the right touch in knowing how much pressure to apply to the floor with the machine so as not to burn it as I stated before and the right touch in knowing how much wax to apply each time.

As far as charging... that's up to you as always, locally here in the Chicago market the competitive average is about $0.20 to $0.26 per square foot complete. That is stripping and applying all coats of finish. If they are providing the stripper and the finish then I would drop that to around $0.14 to $0.16 per square foot.

There you go... Good luck with this...

Stringer

Dec 7, 2009, 03:28 PM

Than you very much stringer you're a very good asset for this.

Yes the floor is vinyl and its for a Restaurant so meaning we have to remove all the tables and chair to do this and there's a lot of it so it will consume lots of times to take it out and put it back on.

For the sq footage they don't know how big it is really so I am confuse and worried how much I should charges them.

Estimate how long do you think it will take us to do this? Is this a long long as hours or should I charges them per hour for each person I use since we only providing our labour?

Thanks
    Bryan
    Business Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 05:14 PM

I cannot estimate how long it will take you to strip and refinish the VCT floor Ebb, no one can because you are new to this and no one can tell how long it will take you to complete it.

The standard in the industry for 'centuries' is using square footage for stripping, waxing and carpet cleaning among other specialized work. You will just have to go and measure the VCT Ebb.

Question... do you know how to measure for square footage? You will not make a decent profit if you don't know what you are dealing with, in fact you could lose money on this. Again, you need to measure the VCT flooring first.

Are you the only person bidding this? Are other companies bidding also or has he actually given the job to you and just wants a price before you begin?

After the floors are finished and dry do you have to replace the tables and chairs to their original positions also? If so, you may need their help in positioning this furniture to its proper place.

Break the labor down for moving everything to its smallest fraction. Figure how many minutes it will take to move one table and 4 to 6 chairs (however many chairs). Then multiply those minutes by how many table sets you have to move. Get your total minutes and divide by 60 minutes (hour) to get the total time for labor for this part of the job. Then you have to replace the furniture; So X's that time by two...

How many tables sets are there Ebb?

Ebb, it is dangerous sometimes to take on jobs that require some expertize and knowledge such as stripping and refinishing and carpet cleaning.. better to gather all the information that you can first then go looking for these types of jobs. Or, hire someone that knows how to do it right.

You are running a high risk that you will not charge enough, charge too much, and may cause damage to the facility OR the job is not done properly and you will have to redo it at you loss...

In this business your reputation and the quality of your work precedes you, always protect it.

Now, go see this person and tell him that you need to measure the VCT floor and count the number of table sets... you can't do this job anywhere near properly without that basic information.

Stringer

Dec 7, 2009, 06:05 PM

He actually given the job to me and he just wants a price before we can begin.

I also have people to this job for me that is really expert for this job. And all the supplies/equipment we need they will provide it

So the only thing I worried now is how much to charges them. I will try to get the sq footage for you.

Thanks

Dec 8, 2009, 08:49 PM

When your potential client says that they already have a cleaning service and they have a contract with them and they cannot change it.

Is this mean that I should stop talking to them and don't bother giving them a bid? What should I do?
    Business Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 09:13 PM
    when your potential client says that they already have a cleaning service and they have a contract with them and they cannot change it.

is this mean that i should stop talking to them and dont bother giving them a bid? what should i do?
    Things change constantly Ebb. I would have asked them when does your contract expire or when will you be going out for bid. I would have left my card and asked them to call me if things change also.

In any case, I would put these calls in a list (possibly Outlook and configure it to pop up in 6 months) and call them again in about 6 months... "Just following up, are you satisfied with your present service?"

Stringer

Dec 8, 2009, 09:14 PM

Oh I see.. so give them at least 6 months? Is this same thing once I bid then loss? Check back with them after 6 months?
    Business Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 11:02 PM
    oh i see.. so give them at least 6 months? is this same thing once i bid then loss? check back with them after 6 months?
    I would say that, that is pretty much the standard in our business.

Dec 17, 2009, 12:18 PM

Hey Stringer or anyone?

I am having problem with this VCT floor, I am wondering if anyone here can help me solve this problem.

Every time we mop the VCT vinyl floor it looks great but once the floor gets dry the dirty (white mark) shows again. So I want to take this out, is there any specific chemicals for this?

We think it is the salt from outside causing this problem, because our country is snowing right now and they put salt on the floor so its not sleepry but then people walk into the restaurant they drag this salt inside too so that is why it leave white marks.

So if anyone on here could help me or show me a trick how we can remove this without striping or waxing it again.

Thank you in advance
    Business Expert

Dec 17, 2009, 04:09 PM

Several things may be the case..

You did not strip the VCT completely clean.

You did not remove all the stripper completely and waxed over it.

Or, you may have to use a Neutralizer cleaner to get rid of the salt. I think this is the case here.

Stringer

Dec 17, 2009, 11:16 PM
    Well we haven't done the striping and wax. We are thinking maybe this floor really need a strip and wax able to take those with mark/salt. But if there is anyway to remove this without striping and waxing yet then please let me know.

We are currently using a neutralizer cleaner but still not coming off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kid who won't talk for himself but will copy how other people talk [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I saw this movie years ago, on HBO, I never caught the name of the movie, and then the power went out, I never saw it again.. The movie was about this boy who was wouldn't talk or he couldn't talk. He could however copy peoples voices, and talk like them, exactley like them.. does anyone...

Looking For a Job in Customer Care, Customer Support [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm from Sri Lanka. I'm Looking for a job in customer care, customer support, office admin, clerk, areas. I have more than 6 years of experience. I'm 28 years old guy. Please help me to find a job in Europe, Singapore, Switzerland, Netherland, Etc. I can any type of working environment.

Girlfriend taking a break. To talk or not to talk [ 52 Answers ]

My girlfriend of over a year has decided to take a break. All of a sudden, something clicked in her head and she feels that we're too young to have such a serious relationship. She doesn't want to miss out on all the experiences life has to offer. Mind you, she was always the one who talked about...

How to write the first introduction letter to potential customer? [ 1 Answers ]

We are a cases& bags maker in china,now I am a sales in the company.our main market are asia,america,europe.I do not know how to write the first introduction letter>? Can you please give me some suggestionsS? Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search