Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebbclean Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2009, 11:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    I would not use flyers for commercial business, only if you intend to do rendition homes. And if you are going to do this take them to a printer, even Kinko's so they look professional.

No, I have not cleaned for fifteen years for my company, the first two years I did occasionally when there was a problem with an employee showing up for work.

Now Ebb, I have over 215 employees that work 5 to 7 days per week. We have an Operations Director, 6 supervisors, three 2-man floor and carpet crews, 5 salespersons counting myself as I still am involved in sales and an office staff.
    When you first started on this business did you work as a sub-contractor to like me or you work for some big cleaning company as a employee? Or you franchise?
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Nov 20, 2009, 06:15 AM

I believe that anyone that wants to start a business and be successful should learn the business from within first. I started as a salesman for a janitorial company and eventually became the vice president of sales and marketing for the company. I was with them for over 15 years.

When we started our company we used sub contractors and switched to regular employees shortly after. There are many limitations and legal shortcomings to sub contracting workers.

And no, I don't think that franchising is the best way to go when starting a cleaning company.

Stringer

Nov 20, 2009, 07:46 PM

When we started our company we used sub contractors and switched to regular employees shortly after. There are many limitations and legal shortcomings to sub contracting workers.

Stringer
    What is the limitations and legal shortcomings for Sub contract worker? Because right now that's what I am doing.
    Business Expert

Nov 20, 2009, 07:59 PM

Most states and the federal government set rigid rules and regulations that define exactly what a true sub contract is. There are quite a few of them. If you are investigated, usually by the state first, the federal government will also follow suit. When you are ruled in violation, you will have to pay all back taxes, interest and penalties, it can be devastating financially.

Many feel that these rules were put in place to insure that all taxes are being paid; by the contractor (employer) and by the subs who (in the US) are 1099'd. In other words the subs have to pay all their own taxes (as I'm sure that you already know) and some don't.

I do not know the rules in Canada, however I feel that they are probably the same.

Who Is Considered Self-Employed?

Just one site on this matter, there are many... Google the rules for sub contractors in Canada or talk to a tax attorney.

Stringer
    saigopal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 11:34 PM
    Hi kindly draft me a letter stating that I new appoint has a customer support executive and hereafter I will help in all communications with the customers and also apologise for the inconvenience happened before I am koining
    saigopal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 11:35 PM

Hi kindly draft me a letter stating that I newly appoint has a customer support executive and hereafter I will help in all communications with the customer and also apologise for the inconvenience happened before I join
    Business Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 12:14 AM

Hi Saigopal,

Please start your own thread and ask your question as the rules of this site state, you are not to piggynack it on someone else's thread.

Go to "Ask" and list your question please.

Nov 21, 2009, 06:34 PM
    Most states and the federal government set rigid rules and regulations that define exactly what a true sub contract is. There are quite a few of them. If you are investigated, usually by the state first, the federal government will also follow suit. When you are ruled in violation, you will have to pay all back taxes, interest and penalties, it can be devastating financially.

Many feel that these rules were put in place to insure that all taxes are being paid; by the contractor (employer) and by the subs who (in the US) are 1099'd. In other words the subs have to pay all their own taxes (as I'm sure that you already know) and some don't.

I do not know the rules in Canada, however I feel that they are probably the same.

Who Is Considered Self-Employed?

Just one site on this matter, there are many...Google the rules for sub contractors in Canada or talk to a tax attorney.

Stringer
    OH I see.. '

Anyway what is the good thing to give to my potential client? You said flayers only for the resident ail but I don't want to clean residential only commercial and offices. So if I meet with my client what do I give them first?
    Business Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbclean View Post
    OH i see..'

Anyways what is the good thing to give to my potential client? you said flayers only for the resident ail but i dont want to clean residential only commercial and offices. so if i meet with my client what do i give them first?
    Obviously you have to give them your 'calling' card Ebb, do you have them? Your card is very important and how you have it designed. It says a lot about you, your company and what you do.

I leave a brochure with them and mail one if requested. This too is important as it accomplishes what your card does and so much more as you will have additional space to market your 'wares.'

There is a lot of information out there about what to put on your card and your brochure but I would suggest that you keep it simple and do not fill them up with so much information that it isn't easy to read. Give enough information to 'wet their whistle' so to speak. As the intent is to get them interested and to get a live interview with them.

Name, phone number, address, your logo and a brief statement concerning what you do for your card. Make that one sentence long.

Brochure; the same things, however on mine I ask questions on my brochures to get them thinking;

"Are you happy with all facets of the service you are receiving from your present cleaning company?"

"Did you realize that there are companies that can provide better service and you could possibly preserve more of your assets?"

"Do you have the time to resolve the problems that keep coming with your present service?"

Just some suggestions Ebb...

Stringer
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Nov 22, 2009, 12:30 AM

Morning Ebb

I have taken a back seat to Stinger as he understands your market and country obviously better than I do, however the basics of selling are the same all over the world

I have been following and would like to reiterate the advice stringer gave you on 'wetting their beaks'

This is a key part of selling, you always want to give 90% of the information and allow the customer to ask for the next 10%, this forces the customer to have a conversation with you, and by talking to you they are not talking to a competitor

By talking to you, you are forcing the customer to get to know you, which breaks down the 'stranger' bonds and it is easier for them to give you an order

I would also like to add this

Every sales rep, business owner has had to learn from two sources

1. Advice from others
    2. Their own Mistakes

I am sure stringer will agree, selling is about learning from one customer encounter to the next

Selling is about seeing or calling the most people

The best sales reps and most successive family run businesses are those that see the most people so they can learn the most

It seems to me you need to start calling as many poeople as possible, then and only then will you truly learn how to sell

On the way, ask the questions, but get out there :)
    Business Expert

Nov 22, 2009, 09:08 AM

Agreed that it IS a numbers game to a large extent, there is no doubt about that. Especially in getting interviews.

Personally I have found that getting the personal interview is almost vital and in our business it is always very important to do a 'walk through' of every facility that you are bidding to be able to offer an intelligent and viable proposal. Before EVERY interview, I do my due diligence, I gather as much information as possible about their company, their locations, their history, etc, and about the individual I am going to see if possible.

Another thing, when you are in the interview and have a moment or two for 'small talk', pick a subject that interests the prospect, not yours. For example if you see pictures of horses on his/her wall... do you think you should talk about cats? Always use some common sense. I know this sounds elementary but you will be surprised how many are so self centered that they will try to switch the conversation to what they like... It is and will always be about your prospect!

When in a 'one on one' with the prospect I go over enough information pertaining to us that is necessary to build enough confidence. Then quickly go to asking questions, this helps build a level common interest and rapport. Keep the prospect talking/answering and a level of trust may develop that will assist in providing solutions for them.

As I have promoted in my seminars, if at some point the prospect starts to ask defined questions about his/her service that you may be able to resolve you are building that rapport and confidence that I spoke of earlier.

Although certain processes have to take place in these interviews such as assuring them that you are competent, buying is and always will be an emotional decision. Prospects and in fact anyone that you are in a conversation with will make decisions about you that are conscious and/or subconscious. IF they decide among other things that they 'like' you, you are 'first and goal.' Always be professional, sit up straight, dress appropriately (I always wear a suit out of respect for them), and hygiene is vital. Also watch your prospect during the interview, watch their body language, it will tell you a lot.

First and foremost, know your business inside out. But also most important is ALWAYS LISTEN, and KEEP LISTENING throughout the interview. Respond intelligently and decisively, respect that you are a quest in their domain but relax and confer in a general conversational way.

For example, on occasion, during the interview, I will ask a question like this;

"Mr/Ms ----------, the very fact that you are taking your valuable time and seeing me tells me that there is a situation or problem that you are having could you please go into more detail?"

If you have built up enough confidence with them at this point they will begin to elaborate and you will have gained a lot more than others who buy into the adage that I need to totally explain EVERYTHING about my company to sell them. If you do that, (and believe me your prospect has heard this approach at least a hundred times already) you will become just a number like so many others who don't realize... she/he wants solutions! AND a chance to voice what they are. People want to be heard, let them talk and you will learn a lot.

Provide them this platform and along the way make a friend and also get many referrals down the road.

Stringer
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Nov 22, 2009, 11:56 AM
    If you have built up enough confidence with them at this point they will begin to elaborate and you will have gained a lot more than others who buy into the old adage that I need to totally explain EVERYTHING about my company to sell them. If you do that, (and believe me your prospect has heard this approach at least a hundred times already) you will become just a number like so many others who don't realize.......she/he wants solutions! AND a chance to voice what they are. People want to be heard, let them talk and you will learn a lot.

Provide them this platform and along the way make a friend and also get many referrals down the road.
    Totally agree, people want to talk about their business, if I understand correctly, the type you will be going after, the restaurants etc, you will be talking to the people who have spent every working hour for years, so get them to talk about it

I have used this technique for years, not only do I understand their needs better, but as they are talking, they fill with pride and feel good about themselves, this releases endorphins, which will make the customer feel at ease with you and this is the road to the customer feeling happy to trust you with an order

Nov 22, 2009, 02:10 PM
    Hey Stringer,

I actually have a brochure but I am not sure if this is good enough or simple enough. But this is what it say

EBB CLEANING SERVICES
    LICENSED & INSURED

WHO'S CLEANING YOUR BUSINESS TONIGHT?
    IS YOUR BUSINESS CLEANED BY PEOPLE DOING DETAILED PROFESSIONAL WORK?
    ARE YOU GETTING A COMPLTE FIRST CLASS CLEANING SERVICE AND BEST RATE IN TOWN?

WE DO NOT CUT CORNER'S, WE CLEAN THEM ALL

COMMERCIAL & INDUSTRIAL
    AUTO SCRUBING & BURNISHING
    CARPETCLEANING
    POWER WASHING
    STRIPING & WAXING

FREE ONSITE ESTIMATE

TELL: * edited out
    FAX: ** edited out

Email: * edited out
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2009, 02:42 PM
    I will be honest as a business person and a person who did sales for years, unless that person is looking for a cleaning person right now, normally they flyers go into the trash, They are more likely to save business cards in a file ( maybe) but a lot of them also go into the trash.

In general it is follow up, getting to know them, and them you.
    Business Expert

Nov 22, 2009, 05:23 PM

Chuck what you have said is very true, but you still have to do it.

As we said earlier, initially it is all about the numbers, on average it takes (in our type of industry) 100 cold calls to get 6-8 good interviews and you should close a third of those.

Yes they will probably throw away most of them but those few that don't make it well worth it. And when you first talk to the potential client you can ask a lot of questions that will determine whether you should send literature.

Primarily I leave my card on first contact and leave a brochure when the quality of the potential sale has progressed to an interview. Not all interviews materialize quickly into sales, if the potential is there it is well worth nurturing it for later. Which includes leaving materials and continued contact for a chance to develop a continued relationship which if handled properly will develop.

What is nice about our business is that in most cases those buildings will always be there. And if you did not relate to the person that you contacted, they will more than likely move on and you will have another chance with someone new.

(Side bar): For that matter, we have actually received a lot of new business because someone that was with a client where we provided service called us after they started at the new company.

Stringer
    Business Expert

Nov 22, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phlanx View Post
    Totally agree, people want to talk about their business, if I understand correctly, the type you will be going after, the resturants etc, you will be talking to the people who have spent every working hour for years, so get them to talk about it

I have used this technique for years, not only do I understand their needs better, but as they are talking, they fill with pride and feel good about themselves, this releases endorphins, which will make the customer feel at ease with you and this is the road to the customer feeling happy to trust you with an order
    It is basic human nature, understanding that is a giant step to being successful.

Today with voice mail, email, etc and the rush to get things done, people just don't have time to listen to other people. People love to be able to talk to an interested party, actually a lot of people crave this opportunity. So yes, let them talk, it could be about anything... but you are building a relationship in the process.

Stringer

Nov 22, 2009, 08:14 PM

Stringer is my brochure good or bad?
    Business Expert

Nov 22, 2009, 09:27 PM

EBB CLEANING SERVICES
    LICENSED & INSURED

IS YOUR BUSINESS CLEANED BY PEOPLE DOING DETAILED PROFESSIONAL WORK?
    ARE YOU GETTING A COMPLTE FIRST CLASS CLEANING SERVICE AND BEST RATE IN TOWN?

WE DO NOT CUT CORNER'S, WE CLEAN THEM ALL

COMMERCIAL & INDUSTRIAL
    AUTO SCRUBING & BURNISHING
    CARPETCLEANING
    POWER WASHING
    STRIPING & WAXING

FREE ONSITE ESTIMATE

TELL: * edited out
    FAX: ** edited out

Email: * edited out

It's not bad Ebb, I would make some changes, however that is your choice.

Stay away from cutesy sayings, that may work in residential but not so much in commercial;

"WE DO NOT CUT CORNER'S, WE CLEAN THEM ALL"

I don't see the pertinence here;

"WHO'S CLEANING YOUR BUSINESS TONIGHT?"

Are you satisfied with the detail? Instead of:

"IS YOUR BUSINESS CLEANED BY PEOPLE DOING DETAILED PROFESSIONAL WORK?"

And I think that this is repetitive;

"ARE YOU GETTING A COMPLTE FIRST CLASS CLEANING SERVICE AND BEST RATE IN TOWN?"

"Do you have the time to take care of the complaint calls?"

"Call us, we can take care of these problems and we can prove it."

"Cleaning is more than a clean desk...it is an attitude."

Just some suggestions...

Stringer

Nov 23, 2009, 08:01 AM

EBB CLEANING SERVICES
    LICENSED & INSURED

ARE YOU SATISFIED WITH THE DETAIL?
    DO YOU HAVE THE TIME TO TAKE CARE OF THE COMPLAINT CALLS?
    ARE YOU GETTING THE BEST RATE IN TOWN?
    CALL US, WE CAN TAKE CARE OF THESE PROBLEM AND WE CAN PROVE IT.
    CLEANING IS MORE THAN A CLEAN DESK. IT IS AN ATTITUDE

COMMERCIAL, OFFICES, RETAILS AND INDUSTRIAL

GENERAL CLEAN UP
    AUTO SCRUBBING & BURNISHING
    CARPET CLEANING
    POWER WASHING
    STRIPING & WAXING
    POST CONSTRUCTION

FREE ON SITE ESTIMATE

TELL: -------------
    BUS: ---------------
    FAX: --------------

Email: ------------

Nov 23, 2009, 08:05 AM
    What about that Stringer? Id like to keep the best rate in town so they know that we offer best price too. I don't know

So this brochure I have to give to my potential client right away when I am talking to them?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kid who won't talk for himself but will copy how other people talk [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I saw this movie years ago, on HBO, I never caught the name of the movie, and then the power went out, I never saw it again.. The movie was about this boy who was wouldn't talk or he couldn't talk. He could however copy peoples voices, and talk like them, exactley like them.. does anyone...

Looking For a Job in Customer Care, Customer Support [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm from Sri Lanka. I'm Looking for a job in customer care, customer support, office admin, clerk, areas. I have more than 6 years of experience. I'm 28 years old guy. Please help me to find a job in Europe, Singapore, Switzerland, Netherland, Etc. I can any type of working environment.

Girlfriend taking a break. To talk or not to talk [ 52 Answers ]

My girlfriend of over a year has decided to take a break. All of a sudden, something clicked in her head and she feels that we're too young to have such a serious relationship. She doesn't want to miss out on all the experiences life has to offer. Mind you, she was always the one who talked about...

How to write the first introduction letter to potential customer? [ 1 Answers ]

We are a cases& bags maker in china,now I am a sales in the company.our main market are asia,america,europe.I do not know how to write the first introduction letter>? Can you please give me some suggestionsS? Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search