Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bizzy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 02:54 AM
    Dog training question
    I have a 7 month old Border Collie, who is as smart as they told me she would be. However, I was not very happy with the dog trainer we had so switched to another one who has a really good reputation. However, after two lessons, my dog has now gone "strange". Before,she was keen to obey and please and quick to learn. Now she will not obey, sits and stares at me when I call her to come and generally seems to have gone backwards. The new trainer says this is a "phase" and that the dog:confused: is putting short term memory into long term memory, and I should make a game of it. I want to believe her, but would hate for my pup to be ruined! Can anyone help? Have I confused her by taking her to another trainer?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 8, 2006, 07:50 AM
    I would agree with trainer, I had a wonderful Border Collie who would watch my children in the yard, if they got too far toward the street, he would herd them back toward the house ( it was fun to watch)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Dogs expect consistency. And there is a big difference in how different trainers work. And some dogs respond to some techniques better than others. I am a part of the movement toward more positive methods, but I am not using all positive methods. Apparently your old trainer's methods weren't working or yo wouldn't have changed. A 7 month old is far harder to ruin than a 7 week old. Unless the new trainer is using harsh, abusive techniques, you might stick with them another week or 2 and see how she does.

Maybe do some reading and be better able to judge the 2 trainers. Here is a list put together by the professionals at a dog guide school for those caring for their dogs.

The Cultural Clash by Jean Donaldson, 1996

Excel-crated Learning by Pamela Reid, 1996

Don't Shoot the Dog, by Karen Pryor, 1996

Surviving Your Dog's Adolescence, by Carol Lea Benjamin, 1993

Second Hand dog, by Carol Lea Benjamin, 1988

Dog Problems, by Carol Lea Benjamin, 1989

Super Puppy, by Peter J. Vollmer, 1988

HELP, Mt dog Has an Attitude, by Gwen Bohnenkamp, 1994

Owners' Guide Better Behavior in Dogs and Cats, by William Campbell, 1989

What All Good dogs Should Know, By Wendy Vollmer, 1991

How to Raise a Dog When Nobody is Home, Jerry Kilmer, 1991

Through Otis' Eyes-Lessons from a Guide Dog Puppy, by Patricia Berlin Kennedy and Robert Christie, 1998

Puppy Primer, by Brenda K Skidmore and Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D. 1996

Beginning Family Dog Training, by Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D. 1996

Planet of the Blind-A Memoir, by Steven Kuusisto, 1998

The Other end of the Leash, by Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D.

The Cultural Clash by Jean Donaldson, 1996

Excel-crated Learning by Pamela Reid, 1996

Don't Shoot the Dog, by Karen Pryor, 1996

Surviving Your Dog's Adolescence, by Carol Lea Benjamin, 1993

Second Hand dog, by Carol Lea Benjamin, 1988

Dog Problems, by Carol Lea Benjamin, 1989

Super Puppy, by Peter J. Vollmer, 1988

HELP, Mt dog Has an Attitude, by Gwen Bohnenkamp, 1994

Owners' Guide Better Behavior in Dogs and Cats, by William Campbell, 1989

What All Good dogs Should Know, By Wendy Vollmer, 1991

How to Raise a Dog When Nobody is Home, Jerry Kilmer, 1991

Through Otis' Eyes-Lessons from a Guide Dog Puppy, by Patricia Berlin Kennedy and Robert Christie, 1998

Puppy Primer, by Brenda K Skidmore and Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D. 1996

Beginning Family Dog Training, by Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D. 1996

Planet of the Blind-A Memoir, by Steven Kuusisto, 1998

The Other end of the Leash, by Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Nov 14, 2006, 06:29 PM
    I'm glad I could help and that you found my information helpful!! :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2006, 07:02 PM
    The list of books is part of my stash of material built up over many years that I can easily copy and paste in. It helps me give better answers while saving me time. I have recently made part of it stickies on this forum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hope to help dog cope with loss of second dog? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in St. Louis MO and have had 2 dogs, Brandie and Alix, for 11 years. I brought them home about 1 week apart from each other, so they have been together for 11 years. They were very close. Alix was very close to Brandie. She would only go outside if Brandie went out. Would only...

Leash training an old dog [ 2 Answers ]

We have taken in a dog that is about 8yrs old and I don't know how to train her to walk on a leash. When you put the leash on her and hold on to the end, she does not move. She acts scare of it. What do I do to teach her to walk on a leash.

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

Dog Food Question [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone ever heard of Flint River Ranch dog food? It was recommended to me by the lady I rescued my Doxie pups from. She's a distributor so that makes me wonder if perhaps it would be better to get a vet recommended food for 7 month old pups as I don't want to overpay but yet get good quality...

House training dog [ 5 Answers ]

We have a 3 year old dog, Dalmation/Border Collie mix. He has been an outside dog all his life, we want to bring him inside. What is the best way to house train this dog? Thank you.

View more questions Search