Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neileaque Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2010, 09:05 PM
    Unless you have begun construction of a home on the bare land that you can occupy within 24 months, the land would be considered an investment and the interest you paid on the second mortgage would not qualify as deductible mortgage interest. However, it would constitute investment interest if you itemize your deductions. For more information,
    ==
    Cheap Mortgages
    vimlan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 08:51 AM
    Remember, just because your 2008 return came through without any hassle, doesn't mean the IRS will not audit it within the 3 year time. All Mort. Interest paid is reported to the IRS, and the IRS will always give the refund first, then they do an audit 1 or 2 years later.

You need to withhold the Interest from the bank, and pay that interest to the IRS, and then the foregin bank must get their interest from the IRS.

You would then be assessed more interest for the unpaid interest to the bank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign mortgage interest deduction [ 11 Answers ]

Hi We are naturalized US citizens and have a question on our secondary home mortgage interst deduction . We took loan to build a seconday home in foreign country ( where we born) . The enteir loan was processed on tha country and they don't have any branches in US. All the payment will...

Foreign Mortgage Interest Deduction [ 1 Answers ]

HELLO, I am a retired teacher living in Ireland. I own a pprimary home and a holiday home in Ireland. I am aware that my mortgage interest is deductible on my IRS form I submit from Ireland. The question is: My mortgage interest is just about equal to my U.S. pension. That is the only income...

Mortgage Interest Deduction on Payment to Foreign Lender [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, I have a query, I have gone through previous posts but somehow felt I have not got all the answers I wanted. Need your help here: 1) I have a mortgage in India from an Indian Bank who doesn't have a branch in the US 2) I work in the US and remit the monthly payments...

Property tax and mortgage interest foreign 2nd home [ 2 Answers ]

I am a U.S. citizen considering purchasing recreational property (2nd home) in Canada. May I itemize the property taxes that I pay to Canada as well as any interest paid on the mortgage?

Tax Deduction for Foreign Mortgage Interest [ 1 Answers ]

If I borrow money from a foreign lender for a property in the U.S. can I get income tax deduction for the mortgage interest I paid to the foreign bank? Thanks,

View more questions Search